Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

As far as sourcing mortar, I have to second dusty... for refractory mortar, you're best ordering from FB. It was frightfully expensive in the greater Sacramento region. I got my components for the homebrew from Silverado when they had a sale, along with my bricks and blocks and everything. Even at full price, though, they're reasonable. I have an extra bag of lime if you're interested (bought 2, only needed one.)
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Hi Jamie,
      Yes, I'm interested, where are you located?

Tom
      Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Got the slab done yesterday, turned out pretty good I think. I've worked with cement before, but nothing structural, and also not mixing my own batch. Took an hour to mix and screed.

Tom

Comment

In Sacramento. I'll message you.
          -jamie

Comment

Have the base done and now ready for bricks. I hope to pick them up early next week. We have our grandson this weekend, so we will be very busy with him.
            So far this has been a fun project, hope that continues.
            Has anyone else woke in the middle of the night and wonder if their oven foundation will hold up when the support is taken out? I know this isn't rocket science, but I've never built anything like this before.

Tom

Comment

I cannot even count the nights I've laid awake, over every little thing imaginable. Will the arch be strong enough to hold the chimney... will there be enough insulation... did I make the chimney tall enough... should I build an igloo or an enclosure... how should I do it... and so on.

Don't worry- the slab specified in the fb plans is seriously heavy-duty. A slab that thick with that much rebar reinforcement will hold. In case world war three breaks out, duck and cover under the oven.
              -jamie

Comment

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
                Has anyone else woke in the middle of the night and wonder if their oven foundation will hold up when the support is taken out?
                Tom
                Oh yea. Just ask my wife. I waited the full 28 days to pull the forms from our support slab. I am still afraid to crawl under it.
                Tomorrow I will drop the form under the oven dome. I plan on wearing my motorcycle helmet when I clean inside the oven.
                Dave
                Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

This is a fond memory -- because I built the infamous hanging hearth from Bread Builders. It's pretty funky, with the hearth hanging by rebar and the vermiculite concrete stuck to the bottom of the concrete with crossing nail heads.

I was convinced it was going to fall in and I left the form in place for months! :-)
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                    I plan on wearing my motorcycle helmet when I clean inside the oven.
                    Dave
                    That makes me laugh Dave. 28 days huh? I don't remember reading that, but I will take your word for it and wait till next month to take them out.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post

I was convinced it was going to fall in and I left the form in place for months! :-)
                      James
                      Oh my I don't think I would want to build bridges, I couldn't take the stress!

Tom

Comment

That makes me laugh Dave. 28 days huh? I don't remember reading that, but I will take your word for it and wait till next month to take them out.

Tom
                        Hi Tom,
                        I spend too much time with google.

I don't think you have to wait a month but in theory concrete reaches most of its strength by 28 days. After three days you could probably pull the forms.
                        Dave

Comment

Just to make everyone not in sunny Calif. feel better, here is what we woke to this morning. Not much and it won't last long, but it did stop me from working on the oven today.

Tom

Comment

Just to make everyone not in sunny Calif. feel better, here is what we woke to this morning.

Tom
                            That does make me feel a little better.

Beautiful photo by the way.

Dave

Comment

Tom,
                              Are you snowed in or is today still brick-and-saw day?

dusty

Comment

Hi Dusty,
                                I'm sorry I didn't call you, I'm not coming down today.
                                I am working in Folsom tomorrow and hope to make it down 50 to get the brick.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X