Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
    I'm just trying to get it done enough to cook by my mom's birthday party in Feb.
    Tom - That may be a bit aggressive, call Domino's. I think building into the arch is the biggest challenge. Keep your eye on the level. Almost every build has had a drop at this point. It's not a game stopper, but you will be fighting to get back to round and level in the succeeding rings. A simple tarp set up can keep you dry - at least you are not fighting the freezing ass temps that most people on this side of the orb are experiencing.

Good luck with the build!

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Looking good Tom,

I tried eyeballing the cuts for the arch transition and after throwing away several bricks and pulling my hair out trying to think in three dimensions, I remembered Dino had used foam pieces to model the bricks. I had some leftover foam wall insulation board I used for the arch form and it worked great. The arch transition went from frustrating to fun.

Dave
      Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Hey Dave, I bought some oasis today from a florist. Bought more than I need, but didn't want to go back. $1 each, best $8 I ever spent. Pressed it down into the arch and have a 3D picture of what I need to cut on the brick.
        Thanks Dino for coming up with this idea.
        Dave, I think you are right, it is fun now.
        Is this cheating? LOL

Tom
        Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

If your not cheating, your not trying! Looking good.
          Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Tom,

I created my entire project in my CAD system (SolidWorks) which really helped me visualize the tricky cuts. I didn't think it was cheating for a second. Now if I took steroids and finished my build in three days due to all the extra energy then I might consider that cheating like our MLB players...

I posted a section in my oven build link that details how I did my transition cuts:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/pi...d-7155-11.html

Check it out and let me know if it helps.

Good luck with the build!

Best Regards,
            Bob
            My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

Hi Bob,
              I read your oven thread and reread how you did your transition cuts. First, I want to say your build is beautiful. I used the cardboard to make a pattern and still had trouble. I just wasn't able to wrap my simple mind around 3 dimension cuts. Thanks for your posts, they did help. I marked a brick thinking it might work, but didn't want to waste any more bricks. Bought the oasis and simply pressed it into the arch and wallah I have a perfect picture now.
              I will say, the brick I marked was close, but the cuts would have been too big, so another brick would have been waisted.
              After today I'm off the rest of the week and it is to be nice Thur. and Friday. I should be able to get a lot done this weekend.

Thanks,
              Tom

Comment

Got to work on the oven the past couple days and made some progress. I'm now past the transition and starting my 8th ring. It's not nearly as pretty as most I've looked at on the forum, but I think it will still cook pizza, bread, etc.
                It is to rain starting tomorrow till ??? This is the start of El Nino I think. Lots of rain this next week, but I'm happy with my progress and will rest up till it stops.
                Playoffs tomorrow, since I missed them today.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
                  Playoffs tomorrow, since I missed them today.

Tom
                  Tom - Not really. It was interesting from the start but then the "Saints came marching in". I'm watching the late game right now and it appears to be another blow out. (7:49 PM on the 15th, for the record).

You are doing a fine job on the oven - have no worries. At the end of the day, if you can cook in it , you nailed it.

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les, that is the most important thing. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this as I've never done a project quite like it before. But I am having fun (most of the time).
                    Tomorrow I need to buy some more bricks to finish her off. Can't wait to cook in it.

Tom

Comment

Looks great Tom, the 3rd pic looking down is a good shot of the smaller bricks you are using to wedge in so you have a real tight ring. You'd never know you're not a professional craftsman oven builder! Well, you will be by the time you're thru.
                      Ya, it looks like at least a week of rain so I hope you make good progress today . -dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Dino. Just when I think I've figured out how to cut the next ring it doesn't work. I got into a rush yesterday wanting to get the 8th ring done and messed up a few bricks. I've found that when I go back to it the next day it all comes together without a problem. But it started raining here about 4 AM so it is covered and I am resting. Oh, I'm baking bread in the kitchen oven. Man, I can't wait to bake in the WFO.

Tom

Comment

Nice sunny day today and got a lot done. Lost count, but I think I just finished the 11th ring. Too tired to go count. I will put the plug in tomorrow even if it rains.
                          It ain't pretty, but she is all mine and I know she will cook some wonderful meals for us and everyone that we entertain.
                          Cocktail time.

Cheers,
                          Tom

Third picture is my buddy.
                          Last edited by trockyh; 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Looks great tom,
                            Those last bricks are really tight. I didn't even attempt to get such a good fit that far up the dome.

Looks like poochie lost an eye. Poor guy, how old is he?

Dave
                            Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Funny you mentioning the last bricks being tight. I cut them and slapped mortar on them as fast as I could and didn't really set them until I put the last one in. I fit is really tight and then adjusted the other bricks.
                              Apollo is my buddy, best dog I've had. Two years ago the vet took his eye out and found a tumor behind it. We've had an extra two great years with him and as you can see the tumor is growing. Most days he does great, but he sleeps a lot now. He will be 9 this June which is the upper end for Boxers.

Tom

Comment

Finished the dome and the front arch. Rain is to start tomorrow and don't know when it will stop, but just have the vent area to finish. Plan to start curing next weekend.
                                The front arch turned out really well.
                                Getting close to cooking.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X