Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Thanks for that.
    Currently, my vent protudes outwards from the oven by about 7 or 8 inches.
    I won't come out the full 7 or 8 inches with the vent legs, maybe just about 4 or 5 inches. Basically half the dome that is protruding will be supported by the vent legs which I assume should be fine.

I'm planning tomorrow to get all this done.

Thanks again
    OM
    Last edited by Oven_Man; 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys
      Another long break from Forno Bravo and my Oven Building Project. A lot of personal affairs have kept me away from my project but I?m glad to say I?m back on track in the last 2 weeks.

The pics attached shows my finally completed vent - what a mission this was but I managed to get it at least looking like a vent - whether it would work like one is yet to be seen.

I'm now so anxious to see this "baby burn" that I can?t wait to startup my curing fires - I guess that?s where I?m heading next. As you can see in the pics, the vent is still fresh and slightly wet comparing the color of it to the other parts of the oven that dry already. I?ve just added the final layer of vermicrete yesterday so I?ll leave it for another week or so before I start the curing fires.

Now to the curing fires. From what I understand, I need to start small and gradually increase intensity of the fire a little each day over 6 days. I'm just trying to understand what is meant by small. Do I start out with just 1 or 2 log pieces of logs or should I make a normal fire and then remove the logs once I reach a fair temperature then close of the oven - I?m not too sure so I need some guidance. I don?t have an infrared thermometer as yet so how else would I go about with the curing fire on my first day and how would I increase it each day after? I'm a sucker for perfection so I would have loved to get an IR Therm but I just don?t have budget and time to look for one right now so this time only - I?ll have to depend on your guidance and whatever little instinct I have.

Secondly, I?m struggling to get hold of Builders Lime. No Hardware stores keep that stuff - I just can?t understand why, so my question is what's the next alternative to Builders Lime that I can substitute in the recipe for Stucco.

Lastly, I found my Flue Pipe. I went Mild Steel Galvanised ? Stainless Steel was working out too expensive so for now the mild steel will do the Job but once I Master the oven ? I can go Stainless. Would I see any drawbacks or risks from Using Galvanised Mild Steel except for it not lasting a very long time?

Look forward to hearing from you guys and hope to get more pics out there.

Thanks
      OM

Comment

Hi Guys

Just a follow on to my post above (Please read that post - I really look forward tp some answers there as well) - I've been reading a bit about galvanized flues and have learned that galvanized materials give off fumes when heated above a certain temperature. Some say above 200 Degrees Celcius causes this emmision, some say over 400 Degrees Celcius so I'm not sure where the truth lies but my questions below

1) Has anyone ever used Galvanized flue before and did you experience any emmision of harmful fumes when you oven was at optimum temperature.

2) How hot does the flue pipe normally get in a pizza oven my size when the oven is at full temperature - just an approx. figure is fine?

3) What is the actual temperature where galvanized material will start to emit fumes?

4) Would insulating the flue gallery with 1" ceramic blanket between contact with the refractory cement and the galvanized flue pipe lessen the temperature of the flue and thus prevent emmissions of the fumes?

5) What other suggestions do you have to utilize the galvanized flue but not rum the risk of health hazard especially where food is involved?

Thanks
        Regards
        OM

Comment

Zinc melts at around 400c and I doubt your flue would get that hot, although toxic fumes may be emitted at a lower temp.If you have flames going up the flue pipe then you've overloaded the chamber with fuel resulting in poor combustion and a lack of temp rise.
          You will have to end up replacing the galvanized flue so try to make it easy to do so when you build in the galvanized one.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David for your Reply.
            So it's safe to use Galvanized and I will definately look out for flames going up the chamber - don't want those damgerous fumes affecting the environment. The flue is built in such a way that it's easily removable.

Would you be able to guide me with regards to the other 2 questions I posed about Builders Lime and the Curing Fires?

Thanks again - always look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Comment

Metal fume fever

Galvanized steel is suitable for high-temperature applications of up to 392?F (200?C)

While it might not do any permanent damage to your health, it will not last as chimney. I'd just pay for the SS chimney and save some money and trouble.

Comment

Regarding the curing fires, read the entire thread on curing.
                If you can't get lime you should be able to get a ready made product called render or stucco that you just have to mix with water. The good thing about a lime cement sand mix is that the lime gives the material some elasticity and an ability to breathe.

Comment

Thanks David - I managed to find the 2 suppliers below but I'm not sure if it's the same lime I should be using but I'm sure you can tell me based on the Specs.

PPC (Cement, Lime, Aggregates) - Lime Product Sheets - Hydrated Lime
                  Untitled Page

These companies above are quite big and I doubt they would supply me small quantities directly but I'm sure they can give me names of their customers that's close to me who would be able to supply me.

Thanks
                  Regards
                  Mohamed

Comment

Thanks David - I managed to find the 2 suppliers below but I'm not sure if it's the same lime I should be using but I'm sure you can tell me based on the Specs.

PPC (Cement, Lime, Aggregates) - Lime Product Sheets - Hydrated Lime
                    Untitled Page

These companies above are quite big and I doubt they would supply me small quantities directly but I'm sure they can give me names of their customers that's close to me who would be able to supply me.

Thanks
                    Regards
                    OM

Comment

That's the stuff.

Comment

Thanks David - I've managed to find a supplier although not very close to me but i dont mind taking the drive to fetch this stuff.

I just wanted to check if you would know, based on the size of my oven, how much of this stuff I would need to render a 1" thickness over the oven - just want to try and get the right amount of this stuff but dont want to get too much of it cause i wont have need for it after the oven is completed neither do i want to get too little of it because this place is far and I dont want to drive back and forth to replenish.

Thanks
                        Regards
                        OM

Comment

One bag should do. If it were mine I would not go as thick as 1". You are trying to make it mobile and it is goig to add to the weight. I usually make the layer around 15mm with a 4:1:1 sand, cement, lime mix. Stick short, about 10" long pieces of fine chicken mesh against the vermicrete as you go.overlap them a little, they will provide sufficient strength. This brew trowels on beautifully, it's just like icing a cake. Ido this job in one layer, some people do it in two layers.When you're finished rub over the surface with a sponge.also when you have finished wrap the whole thing in cling wrap and leave it for a week. Retaining the moisture in this outer layer while it cures will increase it's strength.
                          Last edited by david s; 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for that.
                            I'm busy planning what tools to make. I found this Website Wood Fire Oven Tools, Pizza Shovel, Pizza Peel, Trowel, Coal Scoop, Pan Hook, Ash Pan and Brush, Damp Mop, Ember Rake with a range of tools that looks very nice and I honestly would like to own every one of them but my pockets not so big so lets see how many I can duplicate.

A few questions.

1) What type of wood do you suggest i use for the handle of my spade - it seems these guys use weather proof material because they say it can be used in any weather so I'd like to go with something similar or at least hard wearing.

2) My oven opening is 16", how large do you suggest i go with my square spade and how long should the handle be - i doubt I'd make a pizza larger that 12"

3) I found a supplier that has 1.5MM thick stainless steel - would this suffice?

4) I plan on making an aluminum spade to initially load the pizza into the oven because i hear aluminum slides much easier - what kind of aluminum would i be looking for?

5) For now, I'm just going to make 2 Spades and maybe something to handle the coal with - am i missing out anything that would be much needed?

Thanks
                            Regards
                            OM

Comment

For your handles just make sure you use hardwood with a few coats of quality varnish. Try buying some hardwood garden stakes that you can sand well, but be careful some of them are not too straight. Select them carefully. Make sure that you make the handle just long enough so you can reach to the back of the oven. I think 1.5 mm is too thick. .9 mm is a bit thin and floppy and 1.2 mm just right. Sharpen the leading edge of the peel so it slides under the pizza easily. Remember that every time you put the peel into the oven it is heating up fast and that means sucking heat out of your floor so the thick stainless is not so good. Also if you make it too wide it is difficult to maneuver around inside the oven. If you use a wooden peel to place the pizzas and a stainless one to turn and remove them you can get away with a fairly narrow one as the pizza is no longer floppy once cooked for about 45 secs.

Comment

Perfect, I'll go with your advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X