FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Go back and look at post #197 If it were mine I'd hammer the bend flat again.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Oh yes, now it rings a bell how I supposed to do this.
      Damn, why did I have to ask them to bend it I'll have to try and bend it back (But this stuff is very tough) or make some other plan.

Any advice on the other 2 questions?

Thanks
      OM

Comment

If the vermiculite is a bit crumbly it will wear away so you could render over it.

Comment

Cool, will do.

I've cancelled my plans and decided to stucco the oven sooner than I thought. I've bought the lime and everything else I need.

Regarding the render, you said I should use 4:1:1 Sand, Cement & Lime. How much water should I be adding to the mix?

Thanks
          OM

Comment

Think like you are icing a cake. That brew works up to a very workable mix. Are you sure all the water has been eliminated because if it isn't you risk cracking the outer shell from the steam pressure. If you throw some plastic sheeting over the dome while firing, if water is still there it will condense on the underside of the plastic.

Comment

It seems dry on the outset but I've got a final firing today. I'll definately try the plastic trick and hopefully all is well - I'm so excited to close of this oven tomorrow.

If I do find condensation, do I just keep firing it for another couple more days?

Thanks
              OM

Comment

Hi David

I tried the neat trick you showed me with the plastic and indeed there was moisture trapped underneath the plastic so I guess I'll be firing the oven a few more times till its all dry. Its weired how dry the outside feels yet there's still so much of moisture trapped.

Thanks for heads up on that one - saved me from repair work later.

Regards
                OM

Comment

Hi David

I was just wondering whether keeping the oven fired up all day today will helpdrive out the heat faster?

Thanks
                  OM

Comment

Yes, but keep the fire gentle. Don't try to fill the whole chamber with flame yet.

Comment

Hi David

I kept the oven fired for approx 9 hours on Saturday and about 5 hours on Sunday.
                      Yesterday's firing produced no moisture when placing the plastic over the Outer Vermiculite Shell. I checked it a few times from when the firing was started till the end.

I'm certain that I've driven out most of the moisture.
                      Anyways the oven will sit for the next 2 weeks before I close it off with the stucco.

Thanks
                      Regards
                      OM

Comment

Hi David

I just wanted to check with you what bolts do you suggest i use for the Peel.
                        I don't want to use Galv considering how poorly it handles heat - is there any other material you can suggest?

Thanks
                        Regards
                        OM

Comment

I make my own 1/4" rivets, but unless you are experienced in fitting them you risk splitting the handle. I suggest you use 3/16" stainless steel bolts.

Comment

Excuse the blond question but in millimeters what would the diameter of that bolt be?

Regards
                            OM

Comment

4.76 mm.

Here's a useful trick, type "3/16 inches to mm" in google's search field and push search it'll to the math and conversion for you.

Comment

Hi David and rest of the forum members

I have great news - my oven is "finally" structurally complete. I added the stucco 2 weeks back as per Davids instructions and wrapped it in plastic for a week and then left is open for another week. All it needs now it a touch up here and there, I did notice fine hairline cracks but I'm certain these were there before firing up after stucco.

This past Sunday I decided it was time to see all my hard work at play so I made my first few pizza's but unfortunately I didn't have a very favourable experience. Now only do I realize how many variables there are to contend with when it comes to a Wood Fired Oven. Here's how my experience went.

1) I started out at 10:30AM and gathered some twigs, a whole wad of news paper and my firewood. The first lot of firewood I bought when I was curing my oven was excellent and that's the last time I had experience with good quality wood. I bought again from the same supplier and it was whole logs, not split and definately not dry. I notice the supplier did receive a new lot of wood the next time I went to buy hence I think the ones I bought before that were actually in their possession for a while I'm sure and had time to properly dry. Never the less, for this firing I went out and tried to get split logs which I was hoping would be properly seasoned. I started out by placing wads of paper at the bottom, spread twigs across and then layered 2 logs of wood. Each log was probably 400mm long. I struggled from about 11AM till 3PM trying to light the fire. Yeah, 4 hours, every time I would get it going and the logs would catch, it would just go off. Eventually, we managed to get it going.

2) Once that was done, I took the doughs out the fridge and gave it about 45 mins to warm up, also giving the oven time to heat up.

3) At about 4PM I was ready to stretch the dough and place them in the oven. I did struggle with stretching due to inexperience but eventually go it right and then I tossed it onto my floured stainless steel peel but the minute I added my sauce and topped it only with cheese and tomatoe, it stuck to the peel. I got to the oven but I just couldn't get it off the peel. Eventually, I just slid the peel into the oven with the pizza ontop of it and baked for a little while until the pizza firmed up a little for me to use a spatula and shift the pizza onto the oven floor.

4) After a little while, I turned the pizza so the side furthest away from the fire was now next to the fire. Pizza was removed after about 6 to 7 mins of baking and served. Unfortunately it wasn't the taste I was looking for.

Based on the above, I guess a lot had to do with the unfavourable results. I'm certain the oven wasn't up to temp. Without a therm, its difficult to say whether the oven is at optimum temp. or not. Is there any way to test the temp of the oven without investing in a therm just yet - I had to bite the bullet and buy the stainless steel flue.

The other problem I need to counter is wood. I just can't seem to find quality seasoned wood. I would see wood at a lot of stores but only after learning about oven management from here did I realize how difficult it is to find seasoned specific type wood. I guess it comes back down to equipment again and measuring the water content in the wood but it would have to hold on for a short while. The famous wood I see everyone selling is Black Wattle. One supplier mentioned its good for WFO - how true that is I'm not sure. Oak and Almonds amongst some of the exotic woods is almost impossible to find.
                                Would black wattle work and how do I test whether my wood is seasoned without actually buying special equipmeent for now. Many WFO pizzeria's I visit have this live flame going on in their oven all night but with my oven, the flame died quickly and all I was left with was bright red ember. Also, like I've read in so many other posts, the oven chamber should become white, this definately didn't happen with me.

Lastly, I'd like to say a special thank you to David_s - you have no doubt been there for me, guiding me and taking me through this journey with lots of patience to the sometimes silly questions I ask and for that, thank you a million - you have indeed been great.

Thanks
                                Regards
                                OM

Comment

Working...
                                X