Eric's WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric's WFO build

Made some progress this weekend. The arch transitions were a bitch. I really was scrambling to get it to fit and be solid. It may not be pretty but if it is solid I am glad to be done with it. I have 1 more brick to add to the last ring of the sixth row, after that no more arch transitions. I ran out of mortar and I was frustrated as hell, so I left the last brick for a new day.
    Eric

Comment

Hi Eric,

Your oven is looking great! The inner arch has come up perfect.

1 more brick to go before you complete a full ring!! exciting times!!

Keep up the great work
      John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

A couple more sessions on the oven. It is closing in ( finally). It actually seems to be easier as I go up, that may not continue, but it is nice right now. I hope to close the dome in a couple of sessions, starting tomorrow morning. Have to leave time for helping my wife with the garden and surfing- maybe the surfing can go.
        Eric

Comment

Hi Eric,

Dropped by your thread just to say hello. Hello! I just realized our builds are a month apart. It's nice to have someone building alongside you to share experiences with. Is this your first build?!?! It looks amazing, very professional.

When do you think you'll start the curing fires?

If you find yourself in Manila, don't forget to holler!
          sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
          WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
          Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, this is my first masonry project so I am definitely not professional, hoping to be proficient by the end of the project. I am a much better cook than I am a mason. Baking bread is what got me interested in this whole process.

I have people visiting the second weekend of May, so I am going to work real hard to have the oven functional to cook in by then. It will probably not have the stucco over the insulation by then. I think I am going to go the propane burner route for the first part of the curing process, set a burner in the oven at a low temp and let it burn until the propane tank runs out, then repeat with progressively higher temps. It seems like a more controllable situation.
            Eric

Comment

Using the propane is very clever. I think you'll reach your May deadline. It is still March and it seems you will be closing the dome soon. As for my curing, I'm thinking that I wont have much trouble getting the water out since I'm having a heck of a time trying to keep the mortar/concrete hydrated. Neighbors are looking at me funny when they see me watering the oven hahaha.

Well, goodluck. Looking forward to more pictures.

Raffy
              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

NOW WHAT!!!

Finished rows 9 and 10 today. I recall looking at other builds as the dome closes and thinking "there is some funky brickwork going on up there". Now I know why- It is a bit tricky and complicated up there, everything you have learned rows 1-9 goes out the window. I suspect there is going to be some judicious use of the angle grinder for the next set of bricks- just a hunch.

I am close to closing it.

Eric

Comment

Hey Eric, I remember being at this point and thinking the same, but I was so close and mortar is our friend. Good job, you will be cooking soon!!

Tom
                  Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Here's a link to a post with a photo showing how I designed the fit for my two-part keystone:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/3...html#post75474

The salient photo from that post is reattached to this post.

I pushed a piece of paper up against the inside of the hole and traced its shape from the outside (thanks dad), then held the paper over the top of the outside, leaned in and traced up through from the inside. This gave me two footprints indicating how the keystone is shaped at the top and bottom. Determine how many pieces you need by how many it takes to cover the larger of the two footprints (obviously the outer footprint, duh). Trace those footprints onto the relevant bricks and use them as guides for shaving the bricks down to the perfect fit.

I did all my cuts on the tile saw btw since they were simple straight cuts. I didn't use an angle grinder on any bricks until I needed to make a smooth concave curve around the stove pipe. The keystone is all flat straight cuts, thus easy to do on the tile saw.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Originally posted by eprante View Post
                      NOW WHAT!!!
                      I suspect there is going to be some judicious use of the angle grinder for the next set of bricks- just a hunch.

I am close to closing it.

Eric
                      Don't forget my angle grinder experience. Hehehe I don't want the same thing to happen to you.

I'm so happy that you are so close to putting in the keystone! My congratulations. Before you know it, you'll be baking bread in no time. If you have a good foccacia recipe to share, please do! Hehehe.
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Eric, your keystone hole looks great. Really 'fancy' angle cuts, well done. OK, it's not a perfect circle, but mine was similar. I did it like kebwi says, tracing on paper for both the top and bottom. I used the angle grinder a lot until my keystone fit, dry. But, you are in your "prime" of this brick-cutting experience, so you're forced to take advantage of the skills you've built up.

Oh, if your a better cook than mason, well I can't wait to see your bread!

Good luck, Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino, it is about 8 inches across so too big for the keystone just yet. I think I will put in one more ring of smaller bricks after smoothing off some of the ledges I have with the grinder(I know not a true masons tool, but I am hardly a true mason). With the disk mounted on top of the Indispensible tool I can lay them in dry and figure it out, then cut the keystone. I was round until the last 2 rings, then it got away from me. Hopefully with daylight savings I can get it done this week. My father in law is finishing up the outer arch forms( he has been a ton of help) so we can get to that next weekend.

Did you cure your oven before putting the insulating blanket on or after?

Eric

Comment

I cured without the blanket for 4 days. At the end of the cure-week, I was having trouble getting and keeping the temps high, so then I laid a couple of pieces of insulation over the dome (they are heavy, so they do stay put) and then my temps were quite easy to get up to 700 degrees. I also laid the insulation on it 4 days in because I got all the surface cracks and I bigger crack so I wanted to see if any smoke would seep out and stain the white insulation (it didn't).

I would think that if you are going to use a low temp propane heater, I would leave off the insulation to help dry the oven out for a few days. But if you find it hard to get over 500 deg, then it's time to insulate.
                            -Dino
                            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Well I am not going at Raffy's pace (that dude is on fire, and doing it all with an angle grinder- I am impressed. Makes me have a guilty conscience for using a HF saw) but I am on schedule for pizza on my Birthday 4/24. Ordered 3 rolls of FB blanket this week, and a burner to do the low and slow cure. Closed the dome yesterday afternoon. My father in law, the arch form maker extraordinaire converted the inner arch forms to exterior arch forms by adding 1X1 slats. So tomorrow I hope to finish the outer arch/ flue, and maybe the chimney transition. Dino I am going to try and copy your fancy arch flue transition ( imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), because it is slick.
                              My wife is in traffic school tomorrow so I have a free pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eprante View Post
                                Well I am not going at Raffy's pace (that dude is on fire, and doing it all with an angle grinder- I am impressed. Makes me have a guilty conscience for using a HF saw) but I am on schedule for pizza on my Birthday 4/24.
                                Thanks for the compliment, Eric. I would have preferred to use a wet tile saw but I was limited by a small budget (I even got the grinder on sale). Your flawless arch and clean cut brick work are evidence that the tile saw is a necessary and safer (remember my foot injury with the grinder, hehehe) tool to have. Thankfully the mortar is very forgiving and conforms to help the brick fit into place, not to mention, hide any of my domes many flaws.

Glad to hear you are on schedule for your birthday! Advanced greetings to you! I was so happy to see the keystone in place. I can imagine how fulfilled you are in closing the dome.

I envy your arch. Soooo beautiful! I don't doubt the arch tool you developed will be utilized by future builders. Keep up the good work. Regards to the father-in-law and the missus.

Raffy
                                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Working...
                                X