Eric's WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric's WFO build

I ran the burner for 9 hours today with my FB thermometer reading 400f. Exterior temps: 195 at the soldier course, 225 mid dome, and 245 at top of dome. I've got some small hairline cracks but nothing that is opening up. I ran a halogen lamp in the oven for a week, started at 300 for the first curing session. I plan on increasing 100 degrees per day. Am I going too fast?
    Eric

Comment

Eric,
      I think at this point you're mostly golden. Since you have these steam temps throughout and you're not seeing additional cracking I think you're good for your planned temp increases. When I got to the 500 degree point my last fear was related to thermal shock when I knew that I would be going wood. I never had any problems relating to T Shock. It's interesting how the dome heats as time goes on, it get's easier to go to temps. I'm sure as dry as things get it still takes 15 or so burns to settle things in..

Back to the curing, I'd go for a 500 burn and then a 600 and then go for 700+. You should be cooking a chicken or whatever at this point, if you want.

Congrats!!

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,
        I have some bread dough rising. I am headed out for a morning surf once I get it up to temp. I think I may set it at a little lower than 500, since I am going to be gone for a few hours based on your experience of temperature creep as the dome dehydrates.

Your counter/landing looks great. How did you handle the transition from the soapstone to the hearth, since it was flat before?
        Eric

Comment

On the soapstone transition from the entry onto the brick cooking area, I used some of the waste SStone as the support for the slab, this runs the full width of the inner opening. I didn't want the sub-slab void space to be a supply for cold air when I place the inner door and bake. Two layers of 3cm material have a 2.5 inch height so I needed to remove about a quarter of an inch to get to floor height. I beveled the SStone edge over at about 22 or so degrees to closely match the brick floor height and kept the higher edge at the jamb rather than have a dip to gather debris. I used the grinder to rough shape this slope and then sanded.

Eric, If you're interested I know that the distributer of SStone also has a yard in Escondido and the local sales person could likely put you in contact with a local fabricator that'll have a few cut-offs. If I did it again I'd get a HF 7.25 diamond blade for my circular saw and 80 grit for the orbital sander. I have the feeling that the lighter colors may be softer than are the darker colors of SStone.

Chris

Comment

First attempt at cooking in the WFO. I did alright, not great. Without a door I had to put some bricks in the opening to keep the heat in. I ran the oven at 500f for 10 hours. The exterior of the dome was 503f, the outside of the insulation ( 1 layer of 1" FB blanket) was 140f. With 3" of insulation it should be awesome.

I put 3 loaves of sourdough in for 15 min. The oven lost heat really quickly when I removed the bricks from the opening, but it is still early in the dehydrating process. The bread came out excellent. I got to use the new Neopolitan pizza peel that my mother in law bought for me. I put a roaster chicken with some vegetable for 45 min. It is going to take a while to figure out heat management and timing.

Rain due tonight, so I covered everything up and will continue the curing process this week.

Moving forward now.

E

Comment

Great looking loaves Eric! And the chickens got great skin too. For a 1st attempt at cooking in the wfo you only get an "A+". ()

Those are interesting temps with only 1 layer of FB blanket. Your right, it's going to be even better with added layers. You're going to be ready with your oven just in time for the summer.

-Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino,
                I cooked a couple of pizzas tonight with my last curing session with the gas burner. Got the oven up to 750, no signs of anything more than hairline cracks on the outside of the dome, nothing on the inside. I think I am golden as far as crackage. On to wood now. The pizzas turned out fantastic: a pesto, shrimp, pear tomato and mozarella, then a focaccia with garlic,olive oil, and pecorino romano. They both disappeared before I could take a picture. I had to try out the new Neopolitan peel my mother in law bought me. Worked great, nothing stuck to the peel, no accidental calzones. The only down side was my wife Cathy was asleep by the time the oven was ready to cook- she didn't go to bed hungry, I made her tilapia and roasted vegetables earlier.

Hopefully I can wrap up the insulation and a scratch coat of stucco this weekend, maybe even the adobe veneer for the block stand. I am going to need a door. That one kind of snuck up on me. It has been off in the future for a long time, now I need it.

I will post pic's of my first wood fired pizzas

Eric

Comment

Oh, wow! I missed a lot! Glad to hear you are already cooking in the oven. Please post the pics of the pizza. That is gorgeous bread and I got to get me one of those pans for roasting.

I couldn't cook any pizza yet because I was still waiting for the peel to be fabricated. I will cook some this Saturday for my folks and some friends.

Your brithday will be a blast with the oven up and running now. Advanced birthday greetings to you, Eric! Have a good one!

Raffy
                  sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                  WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                  Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

I am getting there, it is slow. Worked on putting the rest of the insulation, chicken wire and most of the scratch coat (ran out of stucco at the end). I put a couple of rows of the adobe veneer, I am pleased with how it is adhering and how it looks- thanks to Neil and Tscar for the tips.
                    Thanks to my father in law, Dick, the son of a plasterer. He said it had been 60+years since he had done it but he was a champ.
                    Eric
                    Last edited by eprante; 04-19-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Awesome work, Eric! Did you have your party yet? I envy your chimney. Very beautiful. Now I'm thinking of adding some girth to my chimney hehehe. I'm sure there is a joke there somewhere or at least a double meaning.... Hahaha

Now that the veneer and stucco is being applied, it's like a supermodel all dolled up. Beautiful already to begin with, stunningly gorgeous now that all the "bells and whistles" are going on.
                      Last edited by Raffy; 04-23-2010, 10:54 AM.
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

We applied the stucco with color to the dome today.We also did the decorative arch. After the dome was done I had a ton of colored stucco left so I decided to float it over the perlcrete that was on top of the stand. I am not sure if it will stick. My end plan is to tile the top of the stand and the work area to the left( not yet built). I was tired of looking at the perlcrete so this gives me an interim surface- unless it flakes off tomorrow.

I still need to drill holes to mount the FB thermometer, but I think I will let the mortar on the arch set up really well before taking the drill to it.

We are having a few people over tomorrow for dinner. Everybody I know wants to have pizza so I don't think I will be able to cook anything else for at least a year.

Eric
                        Last edited by eprante; 04-23-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Beautiful. I hope to start stuccoing this weekend too, weather permitting.

Nicely done.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Here is a picture with better light. FB thermometer mounted. Cooking pizza tonight, bread tomorrow. Made a Tscarborough door, stack some bricks cut to block the opening.
                            Passed on the Indispensible tool yesterday, Thanks to Greg Geisen for giving it to me, and to Jim Gleim for making it.
                            Eric

Comment

Oh wow.... That is a beautiful oven. What did you use to color the stucco?
                              sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                              WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Hi Eric

The oven looks great with the stucco all done and nice selection of colour!

Once you have finnished with the adobe veneer it is going to look fantastic.

Are you planning to use any typ of sealer on the stucco?
                                John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Working...
                                X