Laying insulation blanket over dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying insulation blanket over dome

I'm hoping to get my insulation blanket put over the dome this weekend. Any advice for the best technique to use for the layout? I figure the gang here has some tricks for laying a flat blanket over a dome.

I have 2 x 1" x 50 sq ft (24" wide) of blanket to use and am hoping to end up with 3-4" on top and 2" on the sides.

I was thinking of starting with a horizontal piece across the top and then wrapping a vertical piece around the whole base with some cuts in the top half to overlap sections. And then repeat those 2 layers again.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
    http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Re: Laying insulation blanket over dome

That will work. It is actually easier to work with than it may seem--it sort of sticks to itself. But be sure to cover yourself completely! I forgot to button one side of my long sleeve shirt and part of my wrist above my glove was exposed--ouch!

I did something similar to what you are planning and found it easier for me to add the sides first, because the top pieces helped to keep the sides in place. Since you are planning to have more on the top, maybe just cut a rectangle that you can fold into a square and set on the top, add 1 layer around the dome on the sides, then drape two more long rectangles over it in an tight X pattern that will give you 2 more layers on top (totaling 4 inches on top) and will cover the sides with only 2 inches. You can just cut slits in the blanket when doing the sides where it naturally wants to fold and overlap it there.

I didn't pick up metal ties or anything and was worried that it might be needed, but it turned out not to be a problem at all. I did wrap it in chicken wire afterward and that was relatively easy as well--just really hot because you have to be so covered up. You will probably want someone there to help out with the chicken wire because you will want someone there to hang on to one end of it while you pull the other end really tightly around. But you could always rig up something that would serve that purpose as well.

Good luck!

Comment

They're surprising easy to work with and form reasonably well to the shape of the dome. I did 3 layers around the perimeter of the dome first, using the entire 24" width of the blankets, slitting each layer half way up the dome and so on. Then I tossed something like 5 layers on top, some cut to shape. I then chicken wired the whole thing.

George
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks @czaunb2 and @fxpose - that info definitely helps. I had planned on wearing a mask, but good to know about the arm coverings and gloves too.

I also have some stucco lathe to go over the top. Was thinking that some tapcon screws around the bottom and zip ties above would be great to help hold that together until I get the stucco over it. The zip ties might melt afterwards if the outside of the insulation gets too hot but I don't think that should be too much of an issue once the stucco covering is on it.

Appreciate the feedback!

Comment

The zip ties might melt
          If you're worried about that, strip out some scrap 14 gauge copper electrical wire and use it like twist ties. The stuff is more flexible if you bring it to red heat with a propane torch before you begin.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the wire @dmun. I had some left over copper wire from a stitch and glue kayak I made a number of years ago and that worked great. I did also use some zip ties and am hoping they will be fine on the exterior of the insulation.

The blanket was quite easy to work with - was heavy enough to just lay down over the oven, and cut easily with a pair of scissors. The superwool was not too itchy either (though I still wore a mask, gloves, and long sleeves).

Two 50 square foot rolls seemed like plenty as I easily got 2" around sides and vent and 4-5" over the top. Guess I will know for sure when I get it fired up and see how well it holds heat.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you are not doing a stucco exterior, is the chicken wire still recommended? thanks, David

Comment

@dhs - sounds like you are going to do a house enclosure around the oven? If so I would think that it still makes sense to put some wires around the outside to make sure the insulation does not slide off the dome or settle over time. I would put a few screws into the base and then run a wire vertically up and over the intersection of the dome and vent, then a few wires from that wire around the outside. You might be fine without them, but should only take an hour or two and ensure it doesn't move around.

Comment

Working...
                X