Homemade Pizza Peels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Pizza Peels

With all the Do It Yourself folks here, who has made their own peels or wants to? I decided I would give making a wooden peel a try, and it wasn't very difficult. I've done some woodworking in the past, so I did have the necessary tools, but I don't have a shop and was working under less than ideal circumstances.

I went to my storage and dug out some old wood (Mesquite and Texas Black Walnut) that I've had for years (actually, the wood came from the scrap pile of an old woodworker...these pieces were cut from native trees over a 100 years ago - I picked it all up at an Estate Sale).

The pieces were about 1/2" thick and random widths and lengths. I ripped the wood into 1 1/2" strips so the peel would be less likely to cup than if made out of 1 piece or wider strips (presumably). I joined the strips together using "wood biscuits" and regular type II glue.

I also 'made' a turning peel from a stainless steel cake/pizza lifter I picked up at a discount retailer. It had a short plastic handle that was very tough to remove...I ended burning it off with my cutting torch :] I attached it to a wood handle (cut a slit in the end and bolted it to the handle).

After making the 1st wooden peel and going through the steps, I'm going to make a few more, different sizes.

If anyone is interested in more details, or has some tips of their own...post it here.
    Last edited by Grimaldi; 07-10-2010, 02:36 PM.

Re: Homemade Pizza Peels

Do you do contract work?

Those are both sweet.

Comment

I make mine. I found the best way was to cut out the shape with a jigsaw then do the shaping with a course flap wheel on an angle grinder. I use 19 mm solid pine.
      Last edited by david s; 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Do you do contract work?

Those are both sweet.
        I don't do contract work...I built furniture for a number of years once-upon-a -time, but no more. It was hard work and low pay:]

I'm going to build a few more peels with some materials I have on hand, I think I'll do the next one in more of a rectangle...maybe 12" x 16". The one I finished today is square, approximately 14" x 14". I'm going to experiment a little and see what seems most useful.

Glad you liked them...I live in the Hill Country and I see you live in Austin, you never know, you may end up with one someday:]

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          I make mine. I found the best way was to cut out the shape with a jigsaw then do the shaping with a course flap wheel on an angle grinder. I use 19 mm solid pine.
          Your tools look great, David. Any way that gets the job done. The only hesitation I have about what you stated in your process was the use of polyurethane in a food-heat contact situation.

I had previously planed the boards on my thickness planer, before I put my big shop tools in storage...the boards were smooth on both sides and an even thickness. I am working under a carport with no sides or protection from blowing rain, so, my commercial tools are staying put in storage.

I have a multi-tool (Shopsmith) that I'm using in this situation...it has a 11" bandsaw, 4" jointer, 10" table saw, drill press, and a few other accessories. I took the planed boards and ran them through the jointer to get a straight side...then ripped the other side on the table saw. After 'biscuiting', gluing, and clamping the pieces together and letting it set-up overnight, I cut the pizza peel pattern on the bandsaw, after that, I used a beltsander to smooth the face on both sides of the peel. Then I used a 'round over' bit on the router and broke all the edges...then used a stationary belt sander (on the Shopsmith) to taper the front of the peel (top and bottom). Finally, I sanded the entire peel with a random orbital sander starting at 100 grit through 220 grit...then rubbed some pure coconut oil on it.

That's it...now you know everything I know :]
          Last edited by Grimaldi; 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that Grimaldi. I wasn't aware of a problem with polyurethane, is it unsafe?
            Most peels I've seen are just bare wood, but we put the peels in the dishwasher all the time and I thought a few coats of varnish would be a better option. A commercially made peel we have which is laminated does not like the dishwasher. It has decided to begin splitting at the joins.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Here is another peel I finished up today. This one is 12" x 16" and made out of Texas Wild Cherry...a very fine grained wood, and I expect pizza's to slide off of it easily. The other pic is a side by side with the walnut/ mesquite peel.

Comment

All I have to say is WOW. Those look awesome, have you used them yet? I want to make one but I have no tools and no know-how. I am tring to find some where that could make me one but I don't know where I would go. Would you sell me one of yours..., or possibly make one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickStoneOven View Post
                  All I have to say is WOW. Those look awesome, have you used them yet? I want to make one but I have no tools and no know-how. I am tring to find some where that could make me one but I don't know where I would go. Would you sell me one of yours..., or possibly make one for me.
                  Haven't used them yet...it's all theoretical at this point ;] This could be your inspiration to try your hand at woodworking - lots of people start out woodworking making a cutting board...a peel is just like making a cutting board.

I wouldn't want to make somebody something when I don't know how well it will hold up - talk to me in a year, I should know all the pitfalls by then :]

Thanks for the WOW

Comment

Do you build your pizza's on it or, could you slide it under a "made pizza" on top of a formica cabinet ? Nice craftmanship, i've put my dad on this project for me.
                    Last edited by Jet_deck; 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet_deck View Post
                      Did you bevel one side or both sides? Or, did you just round the end a bit?
                      Beveled both sides.

Comment

Wow the craftsmanship is great! They are really good looking peels. I had thought to come here and lok for ways of making peels for myslef and here was your thread. Very nice.

I don't have the tools or the skill, but who knows what bartering a few pizzas might bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet_deck View Post
                          Do you build your pizza's on it or, could you slide it under a "made pizza" on top of a formica cabinet ? Nice craftmanship, i've put my dad on this project for me.
                          I'm not very experienced in pizza making...I'm in the learning curve, having just recently finished my oven. From what I've seen in videos of professionals, they make the pizzas on a marble surface (or similar hard surface) and then slide the pizza ONTO the peel (not sliding the peel under the pizza) and into the oven...pretty quickly.

I tried building pizzas on a pine peel (like you see at retails stores) and the dough stuck to the peel and I couldn't get the pizza to slide off...it was a mess and a pizza disaster :]

The peels I made are very slick and I don't expect the dough to stick, but I'm going to build the pizzas on floured hard surface and slide the pizza onto the peel. Just like this guy :]

8 pizzas in 3 minutes 48 seconds from dough balls to cooked pizzas.

YouTube - ??????????

Comment

Great job! They are beautiful!! How I wish I had more tools . . .

Comment

OK, one last peel and I'm moving on to other things. This one is also Texas Wild Cherry (the last I have of it), 14" x 16". I made the strips 2" this time and shaped the front of the peel with a little less radius on the corners. Then, all three of them side by side.

Comment

Working...
                              X