DIY oven tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY oven tools

I was given clear instruction this morning not to get too dirty because we have company coming in a while... Browsed the board and went out to ponder the next steps in the WFO/patio build. Got the itch and HAD to do something, so I decided to make a few oven tools.

Considered some stainless I have in the shop, but read several sites on the net that sell oven tools and found many to be made of aluminum. I have a nice little stack of 1/8" thich scrap aluminum, so I selected a piece and got to work.

In a little over an hour I turned out three tools.

None have handles yet, but I was by the hardware store yesterday and they have nice oak hoe handles for $15/each, so that is the likely route I will take. The handle portion of each tool is left intentionally wide and will be shaped to the width of the handles when I get them.

I drew the shapes using parts available... A used chop saw blade for the 9" round, a lid off of a container for the rounded corners on thye 14" paddle...

The aluminum cuts fine on my shop bandsaw. The blade may be bimetal, but it is primarily used for wood working. (A note on my shop... It is a WRECK! I have always had trouble keeping a clean neat environ, particularly with polish/grinding and metal work... Just close your eyes if you don't like the mess... I've turned out fine furniture, custom machined and polished raked motorcycle triple trees, fabricated metal of all kinds, etc, etc... A real versatile shop.)

After roughing each tool out on the bandsaw, I used a grinder with flapper disc to clean up the edges, bevel, etc. Then a quick trip around the edges with a small belt sander to eliminate any burrs before setting them aside.

Once I have the handles drilled for the handles I will likely polish the aluminum to at least smooth latent grind marks before mounting tool to handle.

Pics follow with more in the next post and some details on the rake...

CB
    CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Re: DIY oven tools

You may have noticed the handle for the 14" paddle is slightly off center... D'Oh! I was too busy taking pics to notice that... I think I can largely correct that when the handle is installed. I will mount close to the left edge and remove excess material from the right effectively moving the handle toward the center...

The rake was only slightly more complicated...

After drawing it out I clamped it into my mill and milled the holes. Another way the average handy guy could do it without the mill is to drill holes in the corners with a 1/2" bit then use a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder to connect the holes...

To bend it I used the 'poorman's' brake... Clamped it as shown in the pic and then layed a 2x4 across the back and used a 3lb. hammer to hammer the 2x4. (Spread the blow across the whole back and prevents scaring the peel.) I keep the blows fairly low to get a sharp break, then finished by hammering directly on the peel at the crease to sharpen it.

Sanded and finished as the others...

Not bad for an hour and half of work.

Pics follow. Hope some one on here can pick up a tip or two they can use...

One more pic in the next post.

CB
    CB

Comment

Here are the tools ready for handles.

I'll post more pics once I get the handles on... May be a few days.

CB
      CB

Comment

Good work! I've done a few DIY oven tools myself and have been thinking about making a rake...yours looks great. I've been using a hoe as a rake, and it works pretty good, but handmade and custom is much more appealing. Looking forward to seeing your finished tools.

Below are a few of my oven DIY's...(L to R) wood peels, 12" stainless cake lifter converted to turning peel, front door, log holder.

Comment

I saw your wooden peel thread early last week, I think. VERY nice work! I love the beauty of wood, but wonder how it will hold up with my wife planning on baking a good bit of bread.

I like the outer door and will need to make an inner and outer door for my oven in the near future.

Waiting to hear how your fire barrier/retainer thingy works... pros/cons... Planning on making/bending up a log holder, but need to do something like that for fire retention to increase floor area on long baking periods. (The plan is 30-50 loaves once/twice a week. Our little homestead already sells eggs and broilers, so artisan breads are a natural addition...)

Keep posting the DIY stuff! Fun to see/do.
          CB

Comment

I think the wooden peels would hold up to constant use for years...it is all about the hardness of the wood and the internal splines making for strong joints. From what I've seen in videos, professionals seem to use wood peels to place the pizza and metal turning peels while cooking and removing...but I claim no expertise. With bread, don't know.

The outer door is working great...the fire burns much better and hotter with the door on...it burns like a furnace with no smoke after startup.

Still haven't tried the log holder but might today.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimaldi View Post
              From what I've seen in videos, professionals seem to use wood peels to place the pizza and metal turning peels while cooking and removing...but I claim no expertise. With bread, don't know.
              Interesting observation... You think maybe the bread 'releases' easier from the wood where the smoothness of a metal peel would facilitate better adhesion? And, upon removal, the metal peel can have a much sharper edge to slide under and less 'grab' from exposed end grain? Makes logical sense that way, but pure speculation on my part...

Might have to make a couple wooden peels as well... Time to break into the pile of walnut and padauk that I have...
              CB

Comment

Originally posted by countryboy View Post
                Interesting observation... You think maybe the bread 'releases' easier from the wood where the smoothness of a metal peel would facilitate better adhesion? And, upon removal, the metal peel can have a much sharper edge to slide under and less 'grab' from exposed end grain? Makes logical sense that way, but pure speculation on my part...

Might have to make a couple wooden peels as well... Time to break into the pile of walnut and padauk that I have...
                Dough slides off of my wood peels smoothly but sticks on my aluminum peel...your speculation sounds logical to me

Padauk is a beautiful wood. I've built several pieces of furniture with it...but it is toxic! After working with both Padauk and Bubinga I developed allergies, and I had never had allergies in my life. For years, after my allergic reaction to Padauk, ragweed season would trigger the same symptoms. I think I have it worked out now by some preventive measures, but it was hell for awhile. I would look into whether Padauk would have toxic properties with food contact...I don't know.

Best to You.

Comment

Wow! Now there is a piece of info I'm glad you shared!!

Incidentally, a couple years ago I made some beautiful jewelry boxes out of both padauk and bubinga! Interestingly, since then I've had allergies in the Spring. Never imagined a connection, but there is a real possibility!

Guess I'll use (with mask) the remnants and get them out of my shop!! (Too expensive to toss or burn!! LOL!)
                  CB

Comment

I love what you guys have done. Very nice work.

I'm not a wood worker so I cheated a little by trimming down a couple of very inexpensive over-sized peels to fit my needs. I have no idea what kind of wood these are, but they're definitely not hardwood.
                    The first pic shows what they looked like before I took my sabre saw on them.

George
                    Last edited by fxpose; 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

wow! theyre very nice. Good job, man!
                      and So does Grimaldi.
                      im trying to make some DIY too.
                      Nice power drill
                      Wood working tool
                      Grinder

Comment

Had some time to squeeze in a little more work on the tools this morning...

I began by polishing, somewhat, the aluminum peels and rake. Frankly, I know they are gonna get scuffed up, but I wanted to take out the major grind marks so they wouldn't grab dough and such. I have a couple big buffers that I used to use for polishing custom motorcycle parts... Hot, dirty work. Still, the small shop that has a grinder can mount mount a buffing wheel and use a bar of jeweler's rouge. (Be sure to take your time and wear eye protection. Also, keep the part on the lower half of the wheel as it spins or the buff can grab it and throw it... dangerous. Gloves are a must, too. The piece can get very hot.)

After polishing, I used the bandsaw to notch the handles. Consider grain direction here. I notched across the grain to reduce the tendency of the wood to split.

I then found a 1/4" bit and a 1/4" rod of aluminum. I have copper (too expensive for this first attempt) and brass (colors would clash with the peels...) so, went with aluminum. I poistioned the peel in the notch and drilled ONE hole all the way through. I tapped (more like hammered) one pin in place, THEN drilled the second hole and tapped a pin in place.

The pin should be tapered on the end going in, then tapped through a little bit. I then trimmed the ends leaving a little to peen/flare with moderately heavy hammer blows on each side while resting the pin on a heavy steel vise.

In one pic you can see what happens if you over peen... You get to start over!! Since I do not have another handle, I will make this work for a while. When I get tired of it I'll cut the handle off, finish splitting to reveal the rivets, cut them and prep/install a new handle.

After peening, I trimmed off any excess pin and hit them with a sander or grinder.

Notice, too, that I was able to correct the large peel so that the handle is centered... (Recall that little boo boo?)

Next we took a few beauty shots...

I think I covered the basics with text and pics well enough to help someone else with this experiment. If you have questions, ask 'em!

Pics in this and the next post.
                        CB

Comment

A few more pics of the process...

Next, when I have time, I will make a tool stand for next to the oven and a wall mounted holder for these...

A note: The handles are either oak or hickory. Pretty stout and a bit heavy. Guess I'll get used to the heavy feel... An aluminum handle would be lighter, but would conduct heat and be more challenging to replace...
                          CB

Comment

CB...your metal tools look fantastic!
                            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Very nice, Countryboy! You really went all the way with the finishing and polishing. Even though they will get scratched up over time from use, it's nice to make them right. I've always looked at it as making things to age gracefully.

Looking forward to your performance report

Comment

Working...
                              X