Heat Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Break

To break or not to break, that is the question.

Or it was until I did it on the new oven..

The fire embers inside have been soaking for about 2 hours and the oven is 400c.
    The pics below are self explanatory.

I used insulating fire bricks between the oven and outer skin on the front only and in the flue below the damper, the damper is also insulating fire bricks.

There is a ceramic rope in between the heath and the granite tiles.

The build, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...two-15241.html

Hearth (by the door), 130c.
    Granite, 115c.

Fire Brick, 223c.
    Insulating Brick, 93c.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Heat Break

Well done !! A great proof of concept.

Comment

Awesome info!
      My oven (for now):
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Originally posted by ThermoJax View Post
        Well done !! A great proof of concept.
        Is this really needed?? The brick doesn't conduct heat all that well. In regard to the flue, I would think that the hotter the better for draft. You got me curious though. Next time I get to temp I want to see the delta between the interior floor and a few inches away on the landing.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

There are three advantages in having an insulated gap.
          1. Reduction in heat conduction and consequent heat loss.
          2. The expansion joint reduces or eliminates any outward pressure on the exterior arch.
          3. Reduces the temp. differential between the inner and outer surfaces of the outer arch thus reducing thermal expansion stresses.
          Hands up those who have cracks in their outer arches. I bet you don't have a thermal break.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'm planning an arch of insulated firebrick (IFB) just outside my inner arch. Then, an air gap between the brick landing floor and the granite in the front two thirds of the oven landing. I've placed rigid insulation between the firebrick at the front of the oven landing and the support for the granite landing (attachments one and two). The air gap between the firebrick and granite will be less than one sixteenth of an inch (to be filled with ash).

Will study incorporating IFB in the chimney structure Brickie...Great 'Demonstration/Validation' phase! What I'm not clear about is your IFB placement and how you protect the inside edge of the IFB as you run a peel through there......? In other words, is the inside IFB edge out in the open? I'm working on that issue.
            Last edited by Lburou; 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Hands up those who have cracks in their outer arches. I bet you don't have a thermal break.
              I just checked an I have zero cracks at that location. Maybe I am lucky. I did notice a crack on one of my porcelain tiles, but that was from freezing, about 4 foot from the entry.
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My goal in using a heat break is to maximize heat retention (read minimize heat loss) for extended baking, after the pizza bake. There is one other issue. That is the hot summers in Texas. The heat break, and less radiated heat from the landing, should make it a little more tolerable while standing in front of the hot oven in the heat of summer........I know, I live in my own dream world

Goal is not to minimize cracks, I already have cracks and haven't fired the oven yet
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                  What I'm not clear about is your IFB placement and how you protect the inside edge of the IFB as you run a peel through there......? In other words, is the inside IFB edge out in the open? I'm working on that issue.

You can see the insulating halves in the dry set out I did before I built the oven.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Tonight's effort.
                    Ambient, 21c
                    Granite, 55c
                    Hearth, 120c
                    Fire Brick, rebate (near the entry) 300c
                    Insulators ,(near the entry) 150c

Oven, 700c

Back of the ceramic blanket that surrounds the oven, 27c

Front entry arch 30c

The last oven was too hot to touch at times, this one isnt.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                      You can see the insulating halves in the dry set out I did before I built the oven.
                      I see Brickie!! Thanks

Your demonstration here firms my resolve to make a heat break in my oven. I couldn't be more happy with your timing.
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Working...
                      X