Need help on technique for starting upper chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on technique for starting upper chain

I have been going along quite well and have finished chain 8 and my inner arch.

Now I am having a bugger of a time getting chain 9 started.

On all previous chains there has been some structure at the start of the chain to set the first brick against. i.e. the form for the inner arch.

Now I am trying to start a chain and I now have a completely open circle. When i set the first brick all is fine; my indispensable tool is working well to hold the brick in place and all looks good.

Then I go to set brick number two and I keep knocking brick number one loose when I try and tap brick two into place.

I need help is there some trick that someone has learned to get an upper chain started?

The idea Ihave (which will really slow progress) is to set brick one and wait a couple of hours and then continue with the chain. or to set brick one the night before I want to start a new chain but that seems ridiculous.

Thanks

Chip
    Chip

Re: Need help on technique for starting upper chain

At some point, I think most people build some sort of temporary form, but I usually read that that is due to gravity pulling them down. Is that the main reason here?
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hi mrchipster,

Use a "prop-stick" to hold the brick. It is simply a length of wood wedged against the bottom of the brick. You could use a stick or dowell too.

My 36" Pompeii oven was built without tapping any of the bricks into place except the keystones. Maybe it is just the difference in technique. The prop-sticks should help with your problem if you choose not to use a form.

Cheers,
      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Having just completed this step on my build, I can only suggest what worked for me. I didn't need any forms or props for my last strings. I used homebrew which was the consistancy of peanut butter. After placing the brick, I would push mortar into every joint with my fingers to make sure no voids existed. The lower seam of the brick on the inside was smeared with a fairly thick dose of mortar. After a minute or so, the brick would hold it's place, probably using that inside hunk of mortar. After 10 - 15 minutes, trowel away the excess and sponge clean. I think alot of the stick comes from the proper saturation of the bricks and mortar.
        Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by rodeair View Post
          Having just completed this step on my build, I can only suggest what worked for me. I didn't need any forms or props for my last strings. I used homebrew which was the consistancy of peanut butter. ....
          Leigh
          I finally got the bugger to stick... but I waited 3 hours before trying to set the next brick. The FB mortar has the consistency of wet sand and is not nearly as forgiving. I guarantee if I build another oven I will give homebrew a shot.

I will be setting a brick on the next chain up soon after setting about 4 of the bricks on the current chain that way when I get back to the upper chain there will already be a brick in place and ready to go.

In fact I set two on opposite sides of the dome when I quit this evening so I will have two starting points tomorrow (after coffee of course).

Thanks for all of your input on this I believe others will and have had the same problem.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Working...
          X