Mosaic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosaic Question

I have just finished my brick pizza oven. Thank you all for the postings. They have been extremely beneficial in my constructing my oven.

Three layers of insulation is complete and cured (I think). My question is on putting the final layer as a 3/4" x 3/4" mosaic tile on the dome. Has anyone tried it? Is it recommended or are there any known issues with it vs. Stucco.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have also documented construction steps on my blog.

Brick Pizza Oven

Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

Re: Mosaic Question

I have seen beautiful mozaic instead of stucco on commercial ovens imported from Naples. I think it probably the best way to get a waterproof skin without adding unneccessary weight.

Go for it, add in mirror, rogue colors and shapes

Comment

Gudday
      Like you I have admired the mosic oven on the forno home page, but the minister for war and finance vetoed that.
      Its pretty easy to do...basically tiling really. Break up you tiles and glue them on with tile glue which I might add is cement based ( yes you can get rubber types you don't want them). when the items covered you fill the gapes in the tiles with tile grout. you don't have to use the white grout either there coloured types as well. grout sealer is also avaliable which will mean you can make your ovens pretty waterproof.
      I have attached a pic of a mosic under the little pot belly stove on the back deck at home

Click image for larger version

Name:	mosic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	287615

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

It is important to seal the surface of the stucco with a tile primer before glueing on the tiles. I used to use a cement based adhesive, but now use an outdoor acrylic adhesive because I think it has more elasticity. Heat on the adhesive is not really an issue provided the area to be tiled is all insulated well.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X