• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Door Autoclaved airated cement block

Gudday All
    Sorry for the late reply...
    Davids thanks for your input....the crack I have in my temp. door is from dropping it ...ages ago... hebel is brittle. 10mm ply is flexible, drop the door and thats what happens. The bolts held it together so I kept on using it and yes the Hebel surface has stood up to the heat....I tend to use it also placed in front of the chimney as a heat sheld as well ...no probs. Its been a year now to so much for a temp. door.
    So I think I will build Mod 111 for myself using silastic as the glue (thanks brickie) It should give me a flexible union between the ply and the hebel and stop the tendancy to crack. The hebel insulation properties should stop the worst of the heat from the silastic (thanks fornoa)
    And if it fails .....the hebel used is worth $5 the other materials scrap and the effort involved....nothing.

Thanks all
    regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    When I tried a Hebel panel screwed to a wooden door it cracked in half after a couple of months.
    Did it crack where the screw holes were?

The silastic holding the skid plate to my damper is still holding and Ive clocked the flue gasses at around 600c.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

When I tried a Hebel panel screwed to a wooden door it cracked in half after a couple of months. The problem is that it is made from Portland cement. If you could get an aerated concrete slab that used calcium aluminate cement that would be a better solution.
    Al, can't see any silastic withstanding 600 C The stuff I use is good for 220 C I use it around my flue. It gets a bit soft when firing, but hardens on cooling and doesn't affect its sealing capacity. There are high temp silastics that will withstand higher temps, but they contain carcinogens and are way more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

Ive put a blow torch to roof and gutter silicone to try and get rid of it to solder a join on a gutter.It didnt burn after a few minutes I gave up

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Most silastic is good to 600c, I used roof and gutter silastic from Bunnies.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Al
    What silasic? what sort of silastic is this,wait a min didn't you use silastic in your chimney damper?......what and were did ya get it

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Ditch the bolts and use silastic to glue it all together, the bolts will transfer heat.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	doors 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	288104

Name:	doors 002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	288105

Sorry stuffed that ......

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    started a topic Door Autoclaved airated cement block

Door Autoclaved airated cement block

Gudday
    Got invited to a mates place in the break Great pizza for lunch. best roast lamb and veg for evening meal......Shame about his door

Name:	doors 003.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	318115
    Mate... pretty ugly but I have got to admit the thing worked a treat...can't believe a piece of aluminum foil could stop that ply from burning!
    Anyway I have made this one for him which is little tidier than my own.
    [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	doors 002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	318116[/ATTACH]
    Its basically 75mm... 3in Hebel block bolted to a 10mm ply front (non gal bolts) another piece of 10mm ply screwed to the first covering the bolt heads which do get hot. The handles scewed to this so they two remain cool.
    A revel is then cut into the hebel ..the stuff cuts like butter you can saw, chisel or rasp to shape. The door can then be used to seal all that heat when the fires out for some slow cooking. My original one has survived about a year quite well handles the heat alright. It has a crack in the hebel block (from a fall).... now I better build myself new one with the extra prettier wood to cover the boltheads.

Regards dave
Working...
X