Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat resistant wood for tools

Hi all,

I'm having some troubles with the wooden handles on my tools (particularly the ash rake which doubles as a log-mover-rounderer) catching alight. I have a short metal sleeve to take the brunt of the heat but the wood chars/catches fire at both ends still.

Theres a few things I'm pondering that people might be able to help with:

1. Does soaking in water prevent charring without making the wood split?
    2. Is there some heat resistant and non toxic varnish type stuff to use?
    3. Are there better woods to use? I think my handle at the moment is pine. I also live in New Zealand so a lot of the North American woods are extremely pricey here.
    4. Should I switch to an all metal handle for my ash rake thingy?

Thanks in advance

Re: Heat resistant wood for tools

I dont know if you can get Australian Timbers in NZ but here is the list of the most fire proof.
    An independent study conducted for the National Timber Development Council rated various timbers as follows:

Best performers
    (classified for construction purposes as 'Fire-Retardant-Treated' timbers)

Blackbutt
    Merbau (Kwila)
    Red Ironbark
    River Red Gum
    Silver Top Ash
    Spotted Gum
    Turpentine

Not so good performers

Forest Red Gum
    Jarrah
    Tallowwood
    Yellow Stringybark

Poorest performers in the test sample

Hoop Pine
    Mountain Ash
    Messmate
    Ironwood fire resistance & timber fire ratings

Comment

Why wouldn't you use metal? EMT pipe is dirt cheap and very easy to work with. It doesn't rust and obviously it can't burn.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Well my ash rake just burnt through tonight so I'm thinking I'll try to bash fit the irregular shape of the hoe into some metal pipe, maybe emt like Les suggested. I prefer wood because I am not very skilled and its easier for me to get a respectable finish with wood compared to metal.

@ Doug and TropicalCoasting, all of the suppliers I've found with a google search so far only describe their product as 'hardwood' unless its a NZ native. I guess tomorrow's job will be trying to find the nz equivalent of what Tropical posted above (couldn't find it just now), or clearing up some of the ambiguity of the generic hardwood descriptions. It would seem from tropicals post that not all hardwoods are created equal as far as fire resistance is concerned.

Awesome build by the way Doug, I was looking at that a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed even at the quality of the disposables you made, like the wooden arch support and plinth for base slab etc. Not to mention the oven itself. Or the food that comes out of it.

So yeah, tomorrow will be a trip to the scrap metal yard and some time on the phone learning about wood = )

Comment

I managed to find a company not far from me that could do 30mm kwila for $11 per meter. I'm very happy because I would have been willing to pay more and drive further for inferior wood.
          Now I need to find a source of tung oil, it seems to be one of those things that is ridiculously expensive when you're not buying by the truckload.

Comment

Ok, I will consider using another type of oil if I can't find any at a reasonable price. I'll ask the guys I'm picking the dowel up from next week about where to buy tung from, they should be able to help me.
            Also, do you use pure/unmodified oil (apparently 'honey-like consistency') or a blend?
            Last edited by arthuritus; 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Hi all.
              It's curious but when reading this thread this morning for first time i wondered if it was possible to find out any kind of "fireproof" wood. Casually (collateral effects of the WFO virus wich keep me searching strange readings), tonight i'm reading an ancient roman architecture book written by Vitruvius (1st. centrury BC). In his second book tells about a fortress (Larigno) build with a strange wood that "the divine Caesar" was unable to attack firing it as it seemed to be unburnable. That was made of Larch that grew in the river Po surroundings and the Adriatic sea area proximity. He says that this amazing wood is inmune to the attack by woodworm and moth and is so heavy that it don't floats in water.
              Maybe is the kind of wood that a good pizza oven tool deserves...

Regarding varnishes: there are epoxi varnishes (food grade) that holds heat very well, as I remember around 350?C, but not the long time direct flame. Although I remember how hard was to burn out the painted holding hooks in a epoxi steel painting facility.
              By the way, if anybody interested in the book there is an english translation free pdf:
              Ten Books on Architecture by Vitruvius - Free eBook
              The tale appears in the page 45
              Regards
              Last edited by Dmendo; 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

In Japan, they used to protect their timber from fire by setting it on fire.

Comment

The connection being, charring it makes it black and fire resistant. I wonder if thats what the guys did to make their fortress. I don't know of any European woods being naturally black.
                  Last edited by arthuritus; 02-10-2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

you could try borax
                    I know they put it in minced newspapers they blow into your ceiling for insulation

How to Fireproof With Borax | eHow.com

Comment

Interesting idea, a quick google search tells me that its becoming more common to treat wood with some kind of borate. Maybe I'll run some tests on my now defunct hoe handle. Don't hold your breath though = )

Comment

Be careful with borax. Read first what is said in wikipedia about borax toxicity before use it.
                        Regards

Comment

Gudday
                          Can't figure how you can burn a handle? Mine are homemade and all have broom handles from "bunnings". Good one mostly Coates brand. No charring just smoke and ash stained. One tool that has a metal handle thats a poker of sorts made from a metal curtain rod with a tent peg welded in the end.... paints still intact one that too.

Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Trying to position a log at the back of the fire. The 10 seconds or so that it takes to do that is more than enough to catch my handle. Or doming a pizza.

Comment

Gudday
                              find attach photo of poker and rake battered and tattered but unburnt
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	poker and pusher.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	288429
                              Have to admit now that I think about it that I burn't mk 1 oven brush to a cinder by leaving it in the entrance for to long
                              Try the poker its easy to make just a tent peg attached to the end of a metal curtain rod ( not my idea got it off the forum)

Regards Dave
                              Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-10-2012, 11:21 PM.
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X