X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirassou
    replied
    Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Ahh yes, I see! pesky little things these measurements!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    I meant to also say that Hendo is still keeping an eye on us
    I expect he is. To that, while you're planning - check out my note at the end of his "Dome Gauge" sticky. That post should probably be updated to reflect updated IT design

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I meant to also say that Hendo is still keeping an eye on us

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

This is fantastic and just what I was looking for to study. Your link to Hendo's explanations is very helpful as well. Going to start on my IT tomorrow and my fiber board also comes then. I'll have about a week and a half where I won't be able to work on it, but I can use that time to start planning!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I just posted an updated version of the dome-calculator that has the right measurements for a Chipster-style jig. Thanks to Gritz for pointing out the issues. Should support either style of jig now. See the first entry of this thread for the download.

Dennis
    Dennis,

I am not sure how I missed this thread for so long. Great work....

And thanks for the reference to a "Chipster-Style" jig, I was unaware that it was that famous.

Leave a comment:

• Grtiz
    replied

Thank you so much for putting this together. I can see I was way off! The bricks I cut for course 1 are better suited for course 9 or 10

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I just posted an updated version of the dome-calculator that has the right measurements for a Chipster-style jig. Thanks to Gritz for pointing out the issues. Should support either style of jig now. See the first entry of this thread for the download.

Dennis

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by Grtiz View Post
    But if the soldier course does not extend about the floor like in your build you would have to put in zero for the height above the floor or do we consider that first course as part of the floor of the oven?

The spreadsheet will not function with anything less than 1.01.

So is the soldier course on your spreadsheet what most builds call course one?
    yes, what I called soldier course is really the height of the first course above the floor. The spreadsheet needs this measurement because that course is vertical - and as such, is not really part of the "arc" of the dome (because arcs don't have flat spots). So the math for the arc only works above that course.

On the 1.01 issue - The spreadsheet won't function with any height for this course that is less than the height of the pivot - which is defaulted at 1". If a dome arc starts below the pivot point, then the shape of the resulting dome will be will be greater than a hemisphere. To give an extreme example - if the IT pivot was a foot off the floor, and the vertical course was only 2" high, the resulting product would look like an onion dome. The spreadsheet isn't built to cover that scenario.

I'll update the spreadsheet to note that that measure refers to the height of vertical courses above the floor, as it seems a bit confusing.

Leave a comment:

• surftom
    replied

Fantastic!
    For version 3 however your "Soldier" or "Sailor" Course angle and brick calculation has to be modified to take into account what the "back" wall thickness will be.
    In my case I'm using 3" thick bricks in soldier style (upright) so the backs will touch and I need to temporarily change the (brick width)=(Brick height) to do the correct calculation.
    Not sure this makes sense but will explain further when i have a chance to draw a diagram

Leave a comment:

• Burner
    replied

This is amazing, now i just need to understand how to use it. I am about to start my 42" Pompeii and i have a few questions. Does this suggest that i trim each half-brick on both sides (i expected that) but also on top and bottom or is the 'tilt angle' merely showing how much of a shim i place on the outside? And the total brick count expects me to get two useable half-bricks from each brick, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Grtiz
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    2.5" is right. I wasn't too clear on the all the nuanced bricklayer terminology when I built the spreadsheet - but that cell refers to the height of the bottom vertical course - which, because it is vertical, is not part of the arc and has to be accounted for in the calcs.
    But if the soldier course does not extend about the floor like in your build you would have to put in zero for the height above the floor or do we consider that first course as part of the floor of the oven?

The spreadsheet will not function with anything less than 1.01.

So is the soldier course on your spreadsheet what most builds call course one?
    Last edited by Grtiz; 06-16-2013, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Started cutting bricks today for the first 2 courses. I am running the spreadsheet on my IPad using an app. When I enter a zero in the cell for the height above the floor of the solider course the spreadsheet (see image) calculations don't make sense. I entered 2.5 in that cell and everything seems to work. I assume the results will work work fine. The side angle only varies by .1 degree for all the courses. Assuming this is correct i went ahead and screwed down the guide bar. By the way I had trouble adjusting the jig angle accurately. I worked out a method that seems to work. Hope you will check my last post (#65) and comment. I have not seen this discussed so assume people are setting their jigs without difficulty and I and missing something obvious.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/36...tml#post150767
    2.5" is right. I wasn't too clear on the all the nuanced bricklayer terminology when I built the spreadsheet - but that cell refers to the height of the bottom vertical course - which, because it is vertical, is not part of the arc and has to be accounted for in the calcs.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Dennis

Sent you a pm.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Started cutting bricks today for the first 2 courses. I am running the spreadsheet on my IPad using an app. When I enter a zero in the cell for the height above the floor of the solider course the spreadsheet (see image) calculations don't make sense. I entered 2.5 in that cell and everything seems to work. I assume the results will work work fine. The side angle only varies by .1 degree for all the courses. Assuming this is correct i went ahead and screwed down the guide bar. By the way I had trouble adjusting the jig angle accurately. I worked out a method that seems to work. Hope you will check my last post (#65) and comment. I have not seen this discussed so assume people are setting their jigs without difficulty and I and missing something obvious.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/36...tml#post150767

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I am not certain on the angle, you'll have to measure one of your bricks to figure out what the angle is for the taper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X