This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome spreadsheet calculator

****** TO EDIT THE GOOGLE DOCS FILE, SAVE A VERSION TO YOUR OWN DRIVE. YOU DON'T NEED ASK FOR ACCESS, MASTER IS LOCKED******

This may (or may not!) be my contribution to the forum. After quite a bit of futzing and relearning of trigonometry, I have put together an Excel spreadsheet that can calculate most of what you need to build a dome.

User only needs to input the diameter of the dome you want to build, distance of the IT pivot from the floor, and standard brick dimensions - and the spreadsheet will calculate the number of courses, height for each course, bricks per course (ignoring the arch!),the jig settings (assuming a twist and tilt approach), and the length of the IT. It also gives a rough count of bricks that will be needed for the dome.

The only other thing you might want to enter is the width (at the outside) for the bricks in each course. That is builder preference.

Big qualifier is that the spreadsheet assumes that the builder is using a fixed length IT. You want to change the length during the build, I am not able to deal with that one.

Anyway - the entry cells are in orange, all others are calculated.

Most up to date version is on Google Docs (NOTE: copy or download to use, master version is not editable) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Downloadable excel version for those who want to go that way, may be a version behind Pompeii_dome_calculator_v4.zip

Update as of 8/5/2013: I just uploaded a new version of the calculator that includes angle calculations for both styles of jigs
    1) A "chipster" style jig where the brick is tilted inward at an angle from the side as shown in this post
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ble-16780.html
    2) A "Hendo" style jig where the brick is tilted in from the back as shown in this post.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html

IMHO, the first approach is far more straightforward and easier to cut with a 10" brick saw. This is based on my experience going with the second...

Edit:7/31/14: Added a google docs version. Here is the link

Happy Cutting!
    Dennis
    Attached Files
    Last edited by deejayoh; 08-30-2017, 02:29 PM.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Deejayoh,

Very impressive work. What I had thought was a good idea you turned into reality. This will really help the next generation of builders. I wish it had been available when I started. I plug in some numbers from my build and found your spread sheet matched for the most part since I had some variables that skewed a perfect build. Congrats on a contribution well done..............
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There is too much lightning for me to measure presently, but the calculations based on my 36" diameter Pompeii oven and IT specs are really close. I am working on course 6. I'll measure carefully tomorrow.

Thanks! Don

Comment

Thanks Deejayoh....... I'm still to get my base finished before I get to dome but have tried out your spreadsheet
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi
          Can you check the zip file , tried to open , comes up with invalid or corrupted
          Best Grant

Comment

Worked ok on my smartphone
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I'd really like to see the spread sheet but I also could not unzip, I also error out with invalid or corrupted.

Comment

Works here (excel 2003)

Comment

Got it!, I just don't have the latest version of Excel, I had to download a Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats.

Download: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Once I did this everything was fine.
                  Thanks for the work put in on this spread sheet it will help tremendously when I get started on the dome!!

Comment

Deejayoh and all,

Thank you all for your input and participation in this forum. As a newbie,
                    ( hoping to begin construction in the next few weeks...) there's a wealth of resources, talent and encouragement here...

Regarding hearth base placement within the dome, FB instructions note two options: One method places dome over hearth base, another suggests having dome surround the firebricks.

If one were to choose to place the bricks 'inside' the dome perimeter, how do you cut the slight radius required for each brick?? ( or is it a matter of scoring and chiseling...)
                    Last edited by Tomweb; 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM.
                    Tweb

Comment

TomWeb,

It can easily be done with a Harbor Freight wet saw. You just shave small cut at a time. It is well worth the couple hundred dollars for the wet saw when building a WFO.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

That is awesome! well done.
                        Now if it would cut bricks and lay them too?
                        Wish i would have had the sheet during the build, it would have really helped and will help the future builders out there. You must be a "closet" bean counter.
                        Thanks for doing this.
                        Tracy
                        Texman Kitchen
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Beehiver, thanks for the pic and very nice work

I figured there was a HF saw in my future and you're right...If I'm going to make the long-term investment in a WFO and slow food I don't want to be looking back on a year saying " I wish I would have....."
                          Tweb

Comment

Hello all
                            Still in the research portion of my project. Sounds like this tool is just what one needs.
                            Not clear what "fixed length IT" means. Any chance someone could explain?
                            Thanks very much.

Comment

The IT is the "indispensibile tool". Search for that and you'll find many examples. Length is just what it sounds like - the distance from the pivot point to the brick facing edge of the tool
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                              X