This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Got it, Thanx Deejayoh. While I've seen the spreadsheet calculator you've put together, ( which does look like a great tool.) I've wondered how 'those who have gone before' calculated their cuts on dome bricks?

I'll echo all and say what a treasure this forum and the support you and so many offer. I'm still lurking, reading and learning an awful lot. I thought the "If you could build your oven again, what would you do different" thread was great. I've moved beyond imagining to calculations and sketches. I favor an oven with stone, since there are tons of it on my property here in northern MD.....I just can't seem to get it to run to my building site!!

Thanks again!
    Tweb

Comment

For some odd reason, I can't download it... anyone else have this problem?

Ignore me - a reboot later and I can download it! Odd...
      Last edited by Spinal; 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Love the spreadsheet. I was wondering how to lay this out, and you saved my hours of excel work. Thank you!

If I can't setup a jig with my wet saw, can I use the "side angle" as a measurement for the amount I tilt the course above the previous top of the brick, measured from the outside?

Comment

great spreadsheet.....................any chance of adding a line for the floor made out of the same size brick?
          options of:
          herringbone pattern
          or brick wall stepped

would be just superb and should imho be appended to the next revision of the downloadable plans

Comment

Simple question here. Is oven diameter the outside diameter or inside diameter?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
              Simple question here. Is oven diameter the outside diameter or inside diameter?
              Inside diameter

Originally posted by h12rpo
              any chance of adding a line for the floor made out of the same size brick?
              options of:
              herringbone pattern
              or brick wall stepped
              Not sure I know what brick wall stepped is but I think the rough calculation for floor brick count would be Pi*r^2/(length * width of brick). That's an easy addition.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I think he means a running bond...

Comment

Yes i do ......thanks

Comment

Originally posted by h12rpo View Post
                    Yes i do ......thanks
                    Got it. I made a change. Check out the new version (updated in orginal post)
                    My build progress

Comment

Just downloaded your spreedsheet. Many thanks. I am starting my build and am sure that this will be a big help. I need a little study time to figure it all out but that is true of everything in this process.
                      Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Comment

hello
                        can someone please show the diagram on how the effective radius was calculated
                        cheers
                        Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by mauricegue View Post
                          hello
                          can someone please show the diagram on how the effective radius was calculated
                          cheers
                          Maurice
                          Maurice -
                          Sorry to not respond earlier to your PM. I have been a bit under the weather and discovered last night that I've got pneumonia.

anyway, the effictive radius of the arc is the same as the arm length of your IT. It's not an important thing to know for your build, but it was important for me to differentiate between IT length and dome height when calculating the courses.

Hope that helps

Dennis
                          My build progress

Comment

Hello, Hope you feel and get better soon
                            As an engineer, i would like to understand the maths which I have been able to do. However, I can not work out the mathematics behind your jig setup and final dimensions of the brick. Can you post some examples on what terms refer to what? WHat is tilt, side angle, inside and outside bottom referring to? I am adding all the maths and diagrams into the spreadsheet so people can understand it at the advanced level.
                            many thanks and get well soon
                            Maurice

Comment

To figure out all the specifics, I would suggest looking at the formulas in the cells. It's pretty self explanatory.

On the jig setup, please reference this thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html
                              My build progress

Comment

Just looking at the spreadsheet and the number of bricks needed for the soldier course for 34 inch oven are 29.2
                                The sheet says that course 1 is also 29.2 bricks??? that can't be right can it? The courses are constructed of 1/2 bricks past the soldier course arent they? surely that would make course 1 around 29 x 1/2 bricks wouldnt it?

heres an extract
                                Soldier 29.2
                                1 29.2
                                2 28.9
                                3 27.9
                                4 29.5
                                5 27.1
                                6 24.1
                                7 20.6
                                8 16.6
                                9 12.3
                                10 7.7
                                My rough calc goes like this: circumference for 34 inch oven is 107 ins....divide that by 4.5 inches ( brick layed flat) = 24 x 1/2 bricks !
                                It would actually be a few less because of the oven entrance
                                Or am I missing something ?
                                Last edited by h12rpo; 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: crap typing

Comment

Working...
                                X