Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Wouldn't this effectively be 0?
    Link to my build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

I meant, the dimensions of the brick. I see cut brick dimensions (columns Q & S) for inside bottom and outside bottom. I was hoping for inside top and outside top to be added.

Comment

I believe the calculator is only for hemispheres so the inside and outside dimension is the same everywhere, when measures from the top center of the floor.
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
          I meant, the dimensions of the brick. I see cut brick dimensions (columns Q & S) for inside bottom and outside bottom. I was hoping for inside top and outside top to be added.
          If you have the angle set correctly, the top of the brick dimension is not really relevant. It will just turn out to be the right dimension. But if you want to calculate it, you have the measurement of two sides and you know the angle - so it's just the Pythagorean theorem at work...
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            2.5" is right. I wasn't too clear on the all the nuanced bricklayer terminology when I built the spreadsheet - but that cell refers to the height of the bottom vertical course - which, because it is vertical, is not part of the arc and has to be accounted for in the calcs.
            I am just reading some of the posts about the spread sheet calc. In regards to the measurement from floor to top of solider course. the solider is a half brick which is 4.5 inches high,
            the floor firebrick is 2.5 inches thick. Solider is 2 inches higher than floor minus thickness of plywood floor covering/ protection. Also minus the measurement from plywood to center of pivot point on the IT. Am I wrong, just want to make sure before I start my build, after^%$%^^%%$$$snow melts and it warms up. Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
              I am just reading some of the posts about the spread sheet calc. In regards to the measurement from floor to top of solider course. the solider is a half brick which is 4.5 inches high,
              the floor firebrick is 2.5 inches thick. Solider is 2 inches higher than floor minus thickness of plywood floor covering/ protection. Also minus the measurement from plywood to center of pivot point on the IT. Am I wrong, just want to make sure before I start my build, after^%$%^^%%$$$snow melts and it warms up. Thanks for your help
              Oppps went on your Face book page and looked at pics. I now see you layed your first course flat , so your measurements are correct. sorry, would like to chat about your build on fbook if you accept my friend request, Wayne

Comment

Wayne -
                Yeah, I don't see many builders laying soldier courses like the forno bravo instructions show any more - most are using flat bricks. But if you want a soldier course then yes, you are correct - just input the height of the course above the floor. As far as the plywood layer goes - the spreadsheet is set up to account for that by the measurement of the IT pivot above the floor. That should give you the measurements correctly.

Not meaning to be rude - but I prefer to keep the pizza oven talk on the pizza oven board. If you have questions that may be applicable to others - please ask here in the forum. Or you can PM me here, I still check in frequently and am more active here than on Facebook!
                My build progress

Comment

Hi Deejay,
                  I have a clarifying question. I am building a 42" oven and have built a chipster jig. I have my side angle set at 5 Degrees. My question is around tilt. I tilted the jig a little too high at 5 degrees for sailor course number 1. It worked out fine but I realize that the tilt was too much. So for course number two my tilt is supposed to be 1.9

Using my iphone I can adjust my tilt and watch the level increase with my leveling app.
                  Am I reading the spreadsheet right in that 1.9 is 1.9 degrees of tilt?

That is my question.
                  Thanks
                  Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Novaslo -

Yes - that should be right. Are you adjusting the cut to account for the steepness of the first course?
                    My build progress

Comment

I thought of that and will do my best to do that. Is that something I can simply enter into the spreadsheet? I will be more precise now that I have experienced this haha.

Any advise that you have regarding this would be welcome.

Thanks
                      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

If your first course was at 5 degrees and it was supposed to be <2 degrees, then I think you actually want to put negative tilt on the 2nd course so that the total of the tilt on the first and second courses is what shows as the total in the spreadsheet. Frankly, I would have to think more about it as I am not even 100% sure that will work. The problem with getting off angle on the first course with tilt, is that you can't really make it up as you go. The dome will be too flat.

If you have a build thread, you might want to post pictures there in order to get guidance from a broader set of builders.
                        My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          Novaslo -

Yes - that should be right. Are you adjusting the cut to account for the steepness of the first course?
                          Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
                          I thought of that and will do my best to do that. Is that something I can simply enter into the spreadsheet? I will be more precise now that I have experienced this haha.

Any advise that you have regarding this would be welcome.

Thanks
                          I think there might be a misunderstanding with all the angles. Looking at Novasio's pictures in the build thread, it appears to me like the steepness is correctly set with the IT, so there should not be any adjustment necessary.

I think there was simply a confusion between taper and bevel angle and the bevel was too high, that's why every other brick is upside down. On the first course, the bevel is so low that cutting at 90 degrees would probably result in a very minimal V anyway.

I would recommend reducing the taper angle from the value given by the spreadsheet. Much better to have a gap on the outside than on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by hubert_s View Post
                            I think there might be a misunderstanding with all the angles. Looking at Novasio's pictures in the build thread, it appears to me like the steepness is correctly set with the IT, so there should not be any adjustment necessary.

I think there was simply a confusion between taper and bevel angle and the bevel was too high, that's why every other brick is upside down. On the first course, the bevel is so low that cutting at 90 degrees would probably result in a very minimal V anyway.

I would recommend reducing the taper angle from the value given by the spreadsheet. Much better to have a gap on the outside than on the inside.
                            Thanks for chiming in on my build thread...

Reducing the angle did work. But as I describe in my latest post, I still need to flip flop each brick.

Comment

I think there might be a small error in the latest version.

In column S the formula stops a few rows in and is replaced with '4'.

With this fixed it seems to produce results fine in metric as long as all the input cells are all in metric.

Comment

I just bought a new Harbor Freight 10" Tub saw. It has a bevel adjustment and miter allowing for a compound cut. Is there a reason to make a jig vs just use the bevel/miter in a single cut on the saw? Which angles on the spreadsheet would you use?
                                Last edited by Yeager; 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X