Window for Oven Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Window for Oven Door

Another door Im going to have to make, Ill have more doors than oven tools.....
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
      Brilliant! I love it! What did you use in the middle of the door (besides the window)?
      See my post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" for a more detailed description. But briefly it is a stainless steel inner panel with "L" brackets attached with stainless pop rivets, inside the door is 3/4 inches of FB board. The glass door is glued to the outer panel with 600F degree silicone.

The outer panel is aluminum, SS for the inside and Al for the outside to try and combine weight and heat transfer benefits of each.

Total weight came in at 6.5 pounds

The SS inner panel does not physically touch the outer Al skin. Only transfer points are supports for handles, and "L" brackets that rivet the two panels together.

I hope this helps.

Chip
      Last edited by mrchipster; 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos
      Chip

Comment

very cool idea.

I think the perfect glass for a project like this would be ceramic glass, like what is used in a wood stove, like Neoceram or Robax. It is good to 1300F continuous temps.

I looked around and found that it is not too expensive for small pieces. This place gives online quotes and a 6 x 8 inch piece is only $43. More than a buck, for sure - but not an insane amount

Fireviewglass - Suppliers of Fireplace, Stove and Tempered Glass, Pyroceram, Robax and Tempax

I think this type ceramic glass is commonly available at glass shops, which could cut it to the shape you wanted for your project. Certainly easier than sourcing an oven door!
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
          very cool idea.

I think this type ceramic glass is commonly available at glass shops, which could cut it to the shape you wanted for your project. Certainly easier than sourcing an oven door!
          Thanks, I will give this door a go and see how it works. I will probably eventually graduate to a more sophisticated door but I wanted to give this a try. I hope it survives the winter, as I like to bake bread then. the door is structurally strong so I am sure if I decide to put in a piece of ceramic glass at some point I could adapt it.

Another door Im going to have to make, Ill have more doors than oven tools.....
          He who dies with the most tools wins...Or something like that

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Awesome door, Chip. While baking bread yesterday, I was wishing I had a window!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
              Awesome door, Chip. While baking bread yesterday, I was wishing I had a window!
              Every time I have made bread I wished for a window. First bread with the new door on schedule for Friday.

Chip
              Last edited by mrchipster; 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM.
              Chip

Comment

How's this door been working so far? I'm considering making a similar one with a round insulated plug that would twist lock in the window hole to maximize heat retention.

~Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
                  How's this door been working so far? I'm considering making a similar one with a round insulated plug that would twist lock in the window hole to maximize heat retention.

~Aaron
                  It has been working out great, It does steam up at first because of the heat contrast - condensation but once it warms up - couple of minutes it is clear again, Not losing much heat as far as I can tell. I use the insulated door when I do not need to look in and the window door when in final stages of baking.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Now I just need to find a pyrex lid.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
                      Thanks for the reply. Now I just need to find a pyrex lid.
                      Try a thrift store in Wausau or just wait for garage sales this spring.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                        Try a thrift store in Wausau or just wait for garage sales this spring.

Chip
                        I'm allergic to thrift stores and garage sales, but I did find a 6" lid at a thrift store. I'll post my progress on my build thread.

~Aaron

Comment

Just an update, the porthole window door is still going strong after almost a year of use. The window has servived several high to very low temperature changes when baking bread when it has been cold and no problems so far.

I did see an almost rectangular and a large oval cooking pan at the store a few weeks back and they might give a larger viewing area but my small window seems to be doing fine.

The condensation still appears at the beginning of using the door due to the high heat differential but once the temp equalizes the inside steam disappears.
                          Last edited by mrchipster; 07-25-2013, 03:16 AM.
                          Chip

Comment

Creative idea there...very resourceful too.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

I picked up a sprayer with a brass wand and tip that attaches to the garden hose. I will be removing the thermometer from the door and replacing it with some type of hole that can be plugged. Through the hole I will spray a fine mist into the oven for baking bread.

I will post results on next bread baking cycle.
                              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                                I picked up a sprayer with a brass wand and tip that attaches to the garden hose. I will be removing the thermometer from the door and replacing it with some type of hole that can be plugged. Through the hole I will spray a fine mist into the oven for baking bread.

I will post results on next bread baking cycle.
                                Great Chip....believe it or not, I was planning on something similar with my door. Interested to see if its worth the effort.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X