Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chops
    replied
    If You go on E-Bay / There is a guy from Florida that sells 1/2" thick formica in different sizes. Cut out the size that fits what you bought & you'll have a window. I made a stainless steel door & installed a 6" X 6" piece of Mica & then added a Thermometer to the side.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Door is not used when there is a live fire, just baking, it stays quite clean, but that said it does need to be clean to see inside and it does steam up when i spray the oven when making bread, but it clears quickly - long before i need to see inside,

I put a small hole (with a plug) in the door to allow my sprayer to add steam at start of baking cycle.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• MarkDLxu
    replied
    Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Re: Window for Oven Door

I thought I should add a couple of photos with the door on the oven.

No bread inside but you can clearly see inside the oven thru the door.

Chip
    Wow ! they look wonderful with these glass door
    I was wondering if they quickly become dirty when cooking with fire and smoke...
    or do you have any feedback after years of using it ?
    Thank you very much
    Marco

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Save yourself some grief and find one at a thrift store or yard sale.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-22-2013, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• austinmc
    replied

WOW....what a great idea. I just got my oven about a month ago, and would be great to see how the meat(and bread ) is cooking. I am sure that my wife will not miss a lid for one of her pots

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I picked up a sprayer with a brass wand and tip that attaches to the garden hose. I will be removing the thermometer from the door and replacing it with some type of hole that can be plugged. Through the hole I will spray a fine mist into the oven for baking bread.

I will post results on next bread baking cycle.
    Great Chip....believe it or not, I was planning on something similar with my door. Interested to see if its worth the effort.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I picked up a sprayer with a brass wand and tip that attaches to the garden hose. I will be removing the thermometer from the door and replacing it with some type of hole that can be plugged. Through the hole I will spray a fine mist into the oven for baking bread.

I will post results on next bread baking cycle.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Creative idea there...very resourceful too.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Just an update, the porthole window door is still going strong after almost a year of use. The window has servived several high to very low temperature changes when baking bread when it has been cold and no problems so far.

I did see an almost rectangular and a large oval cooking pan at the store a few weeks back and they might give a larger viewing area but my small window seems to be doing fine.

The condensation still appears at the beginning of using the door due to the high heat differential but once the temp equalizes the inside steam disappears.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-25-2013, 03:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Try a thrift store in Wausau or just wait for garage sales this spring.

Chip
    I'm allergic to thrift stores and garage sales, but I did find a 6" lid at a thrift store. I'll post my progress on my build thread.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Now I just need to find a pyrex lid.
    Try a thrift store in Wausau or just wait for garage sales this spring.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

Thanks for the reply. Now I just need to find a pyrex lid.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
    How's this door been working so far? I'm considering making a similar one with a round insulated plug that would twist lock in the window hole to maximize heat retention.

~Aaron
    It has been working out great, It does steam up at first because of the heat contrast - condensation but once it warms up - couple of minutes it is clear again, Not losing much heat as far as I can tell. I use the insulated door when I do not need to look in and the window door when in final stages of baking.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• AaronTheGeek
    replied

How's this door been working so far? I'm considering making a similar one with a round insulated plug that would twist lock in the window hole to maximize heat retention.

~Aaron

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Awesome door, Chip. While baking bread yesterday, I was wishing I had a window!
    Every time I have made bread I wished for a window. First bread with the new door on schedule for Friday.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X