X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinal
    replied
    Re: Window for Oven Door

Forgot that you don't use a door at full temp! (it's been a long day...)

Other than the temp-difference, I don't think it'll be an issue and even then, unless it's really cold outside, it should be fine... works on a pan after all!

I still would test it the first few times with some PPE

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
    I presume it's the same as pyrex (borosilicate glass) which goes soft around 800C... so it may be a close call..

An easy test would be to get your over as hot as your normally have it, then pop the lid (without the handle!) into the oven in a tray or something (so if it melts you don't have it all over the oven).

When you pull it out, watch out - glass has an annoying tendency to shatter if it cools down quickly!

M.
    Just for reference - I do not intend to use this door when oven temps are over 300C - 575F.

Good point on the rapid cooling I will need to be very careful if it is raining or snow is about.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
    which goes soft around 800C... so it may be a close call..
    Bread baking takes place around 250c.

Leave a comment:

• Spinal
    replied

I presume it's the same as pyrex (borosilicate glass) which goes soft around 800C... so it may be a close call..

An easy test would be to get your over as hot as your normally have it, then pop the lid (without the handle!) into the oven in a tray or something (so if it melts you don't have it all over the oven).

When you pull it out, watch out - glass has an annoying tendency to shatter if it cools down quickly!

M.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    started a topic Window for Oven Door

Window for Oven Door

I've been playing with the idea of having a door that has a window. My wife came home with a new pan with a glass top. I think that the heat resistance of the top would be good enough to use when baking bread. This is the time when most like to be looking in the oven to see how done is.

I would not use this door during times when I had a live fire but I would use it during times I was doing baking or other medium to low heat activities.

If you look at the photo, you'll see that the glass top has a metal rim this could easily be screwed into a piece of wood, by drilling a few holes around the perimeter.

I'm looking for some feedback on whether those of you in the forum believe this is a good idea or bad idea.

Thanks in advance

Chip
Working...
X