X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: Window for Oven Door

Awesome door, Chip. While baking bread yesterday, I was wishing I had a window!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    very cool idea.

I think this type ceramic glass is commonly available at glass shops, which could cut it to the shape you wanted for your project. Certainly easier than sourcing an oven door!
    Thanks, I will give this door a go and see how it works. I will probably eventually graduate to a more sophisticated door but I wanted to give this a try. I hope it survives the winter, as I like to bake bread then. the door is structurally strong so I am sure if I decide to put in a piece of ceramic glass at some point I could adapt it.

Another door Im going to have to make, Ill have more doors than oven tools.....
    He who dies with the most tools wins...Or something like that

Chip

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

very cool idea.

I think the perfect glass for a project like this would be ceramic glass, like what is used in a wood stove, like Neoceram or Robax. It is good to 1300F continuous temps.

I looked around and found that it is not too expensive for small pieces. This place gives online quotes and a 6 x 8 inch piece is only $43. More than a buck, for sure - but not an insane amount

Fireviewglass - Suppliers of Fireplace, Stove and Tempered Glass, Pyroceram, Robax and Tempax

I think this type ceramic glass is commonly available at glass shops, which could cut it to the shape you wanted for your project. Certainly easier than sourcing an oven door!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by okn View Post
    Brilliant! I love it! What did you use in the middle of the door (besides the window)?
    See my post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" for a more detailed description. But briefly it is a stainless steel inner panel with "L" brackets attached with stainless pop rivets, inside the door is 3/4 inches of FB board. The glass door is glued to the outer panel with 600F degree silicone.

The outer panel is aluminum, SS for the inside and Al for the outside to try and combine weight and heat transfer benefits of each.

Total weight came in at 6.5 pounds

The SS inner panel does not physically touch the outer Al skin. Only transfer points are supports for handles, and "L" brackets that rivet the two panels together.

I hope this helps.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Another door Im going to have to make, Ill have more doors than oven tools.....

Leave a comment:

• okn
    replied

Brilliant! I love it! What did you use in the middle of the door (besides the window)?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I love it. I always dislike opening the oven door when baking or roasting because you lose so much heat, especially in my small oven. This solves it.
    Last edited by david s; 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I thought I should add a couple of photos with the door on the oven.

No bread inside but you can clearly see inside the oven thru the door.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Well the porthole door is done and performs beautifully, I tested it with a well saturated oven with a starting temp of 420F 215C and after two hours the temp dropped to 410F 210C so I am very happy with the performance. Ambient was about 75F 24C.

I used a 5/16 square u-bolt cut in half to provide standoffs for the wood handles. The handles are drilled in the ends so the receive the cut end of the u-bolt.

I decided to use the handle hole to put in a thermometer held in place with two silicone washers.

Here are the photos.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Most oven doors have two glass panels, I think apart from insulating better it would eliminate the temperature differential responsible for the glass tending to crack.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Hey Chip,
    Maybe you can recover the glass from an old oven door. This was proposed in a previous post and sounds really practical. I'm not sure a wood 'gasket' would last long with your glass pan top if your bake temp is +-525F.
    John
    John,

Yes, I remember what happened to my first temporary door, turned to charcoal, heat and gas. The critical temp for wood is 451f And i want to Cook at higher temps. II have been searching craigslist for a glass door but nothing yet. I did pick up a pot cover at a thrift store for $1.00 so I think I will give it a try.

Learning curve and all that...I will report on my results.

Something pretty in the future but the budget is tight right now.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Hey Chip,
    Maybe you can recover the glass from an old oven door. This was proposed in a previous post and sounds really practical. I'm not sure a wood 'gasket' would last long with your glass pan top if your bake temp is +-525F.
    John

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by lwood View Post
    Here's one for you.....-44c=-44F
    Fortunately it never got that cold here. It only got to -41 F once and that was back in the late 1800's.

Did you know that snow squeaks when you walk on it when the temp reaches -20F, that is how I know it is a cold morning here.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-02-2012, 06:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Here's one for you.....-44c=-44F

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Well, it does get cold here in the winter -35c for those in most of the world and -30f here. And I do use the oven in the winter so I will need to be careful or not use it when really cold.

Chip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X