Fill the Gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fill the Gap?

I am making progress but have no idea what I am doing. Do I fill the gap between the bricks with mortar or let it be. I cut/grind the compound angles on the bricks but still have gaps. A few gaps are 1/4" or less and maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep. I would like to hear from other builders if they filled the gaps and why? Will the heat break down the home brew mortar (3-1-1-1)? Is there a structural reason to fill the gap. There is brick to brick contact on each and plenty of mortar on the outside gaps.

Re: Fill the Gap?

Gudday
    I built with brick bulster and angle grinder and I have heaps of gaps. I was worried about it once and crawled in the oven and tried to fill in a small section. The mortar fell out and I stopped worrying about it. That was 2 years and heaps of pizza and roasts later.

Regards dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 pizza.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	292289

Old pic but shows the gaps also wet wood, soaked oven, and pizza on trays brought down from the kichen due to rain
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks CobblerDave. Your pictures and input are very much appreciated. I plan to continue without filling the inner dome gaps.

Comment

Spent the weekend with the wet saw and grinder trying to get the angles perfect. Painful. Decided to give a circular saw a try. BOOM! The compound angles are perfect and my cut and grinding time was reduces by 75%. Soak the bricks to cut down on dust and wear a mask.

Comment

Do the best you can....I too have heaps of gaps and after a few pizzas, you realize that it really just has to hold itself together. I have a couple of cracks as well....guess what, the pizzas still taste just fine!

I think the precision and tight fit of the bricks you see with many WFO builders is purely one of artistic pride rather than utility. Originally, I wished my dome turned out better, and if I had to do all over again, I might take more care in making tighter seams.....

My advice is do the best you can on the seams....then pile up the morter on the outside!!!

Comment

Ok. I snapped today. I was going to leave the gaps. Heavy rain and the forecast for more rain is delaying my first fires and drying. So..I mixed mortar, filled the mortar bag, misted the brick and filled the gaps.

Comment

Gudday
              WOW your a brave man crawling in an oven like that
              You've taken some thought and care using a mortar bag and misting the bricks etc. I'm sure it will work....goodonya

Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

YEAH. It took a beer to muster the courage to figure out how to stick my head and one arm inside that small opening. I even tried to get a second arm inside to work the mortar bag. At one point, anxiety reached near panic levels. Getting stuck would create serious abuse and humiliation from friends. It was terrifying but I was able to control the fear and fill the gaps that have absolutely no structural value. If any of my guest stick their head inside the oven while a pizza is baking they will be impressed with my attention to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteVB View Post
                  If any of my guest stick their head inside the oven while a pizza is baking they will be impressed with my attention to detail.
                  That is awesome!
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think we all wish that our domes turned out better,, but we are not masons..only you know what it looks like in there.. and if it structurally sound,, who cares?

Pizza will still taste great I think it was Tsarborough who put on one of my threads..

Have FUN
                    Eat PIZZA

“Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X