Tapering on a 10" saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapering on a 10" saw?

I have started my build of a 42" in Portland, OR and have been very impressed with some of the builds on here. I would like to put the time in to cut the bricks for a nice, tight taper, but can't seem to figure out how to set it up on my saw.

I have reviewed a number of threads about cutting the brick faces to remove the inverted Vee, but haven't been able to figure out how it is possible to cut the taper without running into the arbor on my 10" wet saw.

Is there some trick that I am missing, or is this only possible with a 14" saw?

Also, I have read that people soak the brick prior to cutting. Is there a reason for this? I cut the bricks for the floor without soaking, and the diamond blade cut through it like butter!

Thanks for all the help.
    Aaron
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	319234

Re: Tapering on a 10" saw?

Aaron,

I used the old cheapo Harbor Freight 10" and was able, for the most part do most of the compound cuts I needed. I made a jig that allows you to cut the taper and bevel at the same time. Here is a pic of the jig. It is just a take off modifications of another WFO idea. You will find that you will need to do some hand cutting\fine tuning on certain cuts. Yell if you have questions. There are other examples out there some more complicated and some more simple. Good luck.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

^^^^^
      that jig is the bomb. Wish I had it for my build!

check out my spreadsheet to get the calculations for the brick dimensions and angles for the jig. Linked in my sig below.

Fun to see all the new builds starting up this season
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

aaron,

too bad you weren't around last fall, I donated my jig to a WFOer back east off this forum. But you can build one with scrap stuff fairly easy. I think I only spent less than $5 on material for the Habitat for Humanity thrift store called Restore. I think most major cities have one. The wood tables were from an old cabinet front, the bolts were toilet flange bolts and the hinges SS cabinet hinges. Good luck.
        Russell

Comment

I'm the lucky one taking advantage of UtahBeehiver's Jig, thanks again. I started it up last fall and will hopefully start up soon once some more of this snow melts. I'm going to pass it on after I finish but I dont think you want to wait that long. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by portland_aaron View Post

Also, I have read that people soak the brick prior to cutting. Is there a reason for this?
            Because they dont know any better.
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Aaron,

I used the old cheapo Harbor Freight 10" and was able, for the most part do most of the compound cuts I needed. I made a jig that allows you to cut the taper and bevel at the same time. Here is a pic of the jig. It is just a take off modifications of another WFO idea. You will find that you will need to do some hand cutting\fine tuning on certain cuts. Yell if you have questions. There are other examples out there some more complicated and some more simple. Good luck.
              Hello,
              Utah Beehiver
              Great jig, I would like to make one. Do you have a more detailed sketch or pictures of you 10" jig. How is the height adjustment set screw installed?
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Will pm u so i don't hijack the thread
                Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  Aaron,

Nice set up there!
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

UtahBeehiver - feel free to hijack the thread! I would be interested to see the schematics as well.

I made a little progress this weekend, but just with the level (easy) cuts. The tile saw is a lot of fun - goes through the bricks like butter!

Comment

Working...
                    X