Using a 14" saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a 14" saw

Any reason, other than dust, I cannot use my 14" abrasive chop saw mounted with a diamond blade for dry cutting concrete blocks and bricks? I have a squirrel cage blower I can use to help with dust.

Re: Using a 14" saw

It will be a mess. I would try to avoid having the grit get inside the motor. Also, soaking the brick may help a bit.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

It's pretty common practice and very dusty, so wear a respirator or good dust mask. Don't bother soaking your brick or block though, it won't do anything... not trying to sound contrary to you here, Les...you will still get the dust anyway. Wet sawing isn't an option or are just trying to use what you have?
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

You'll still get dust, but soaking will help some, and the blade will last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudologist View Post
            You'll still get dust, but soaking will help some, and the blade will last longer.
            Maybe, if bricks held as much water as a sponge. Also, if the diamond blade is meant for dry cutting, water won't help with longevity either.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              Maybe, if bricks held as much water as a sponge.
              Its funny that you say that. Fire brick is incredibly soft and porous, left in water it will pretty much get wet. Total opposite of a stone like granite or marble. I had a wet saw but for grins I dropped a brick in water for a few minutes - when I sliced it the water had penetrated about a quarter of an inch. Anything to minimize the dust will help
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                Its funny that you say that. Fire brick is incredibly soft and porous, left in water it will pretty much get wet. Total opposite of a stone like granite or marble. I had a wet saw but for grins I dropped a brick in water for a few minutes - when I sliced it the water had penetrated about a quarter of an inch. Anything to minimize the dust will help
                Yeah, I know firebrick absorbs more water than stone and minimizing dust is a worthy goal. I cut tons of material every year...wet and dry. Op is cutting cmu as well as brick and soaking it, while maybe reducing the dust when saw initially contacts the block or brick at the beginning of the cut, it won't stop dust as the saw passes through. Ideally, wet cutting is the best way to stop dust.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                X