• Laurentius
    replied
    Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Here is my "gun rack"

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...n_rack-013.jpg

All pretty much built by hand
    Les,

A living example of a Boy with his toys, primo stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Here is my "gun rack"

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...n_rack-013.jpg

All pretty much built by hand

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Come on guys, thats all you got? Im adding up my shopping cart for my tools and toys. I just noticed i have scrap stainless steel from small appliances that i can make a peel or ash pan out of. I would just need a wooden pole

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I believe it was Karangi Dude who put me on to this. After using the hoe to pull most of the ash from the oven, I slap the floor a couple of times with my metal peel. The small ash looks just like smoke coming from my chimney. I let this settle for a minute or two and do that one more time. The floor seems clean to me. The draw of the flu from the hot oven pulls just about every thing out .
    Hi Gulf,

Being a southerner, go to a hardware store, mom&pop's and ask for a yard broom. They have them here in Japan, made of bamboo. After cleaning out my oven before I bake bread, I stick it in the oven and run it vigorously across the floor and clouds of fine ash goes up the chimney, I do this a couple of times then seal the door for the oven to re-saturate. They are cheap, a couple of $.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    you'll need deep pockets.

Lol ya really .. Im not crazy to pay that much. I was referring to the info provided

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

you'll need deep pockets.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

i found this to be pretty helpful http://www.slowfoodandhandforgedtool...-pan-brush-set

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ok great thanks for the help. Here is my list of things to buy

Oven thermometer,
    Infrared thermometer
    Tuscan grill, or home made grill with legs
    Metal trash can
    Metal pizza pie peel
    Shovel or ash scooper
    Long tube to blow ash
    Wood scooper/hoe, hoe for vertical coals and some home made stuff for coals to be pushed to the side
    Anything else im forgetting?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    Got it thanks Dave. So the copper or brass bristles burn off? or where you talking about natural bristles?
    Gudday
    Use natural bristle outside the dome. Rake and mop inside.
    Used brass brush once but the brass ends bend up over in time and of course being mounted in wood you have to watch them in the oven. Recon if you were to buy a brass one try a forno one all their stuff good quality.
    Here's the one about slapping the metal peel down on the hearth .... I recon that's worth a try ..... Thanks Doug and gulf
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I believe it was Karangi Dude who put me on to this. After using the hoe to pull most of the ash from the oven, I slap the floor a couple of times with my metal peel. The small ash looks just like smoke coming from my chimney. I let this settle for a minute or two and do that one more time. The floor seems clean to me. The draw of the flu from the hot oven pulls just about every thing out .

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    I've tried brooms they just seemed to get charred and the bristle disappear at a fast rate. The flat hoe I have is used for moving coals and ash around in the oven and bringing the excess to the front were a natural bristle brush and steel pan transfer it to a tin bucket. The hoe is made of 3 mm aluminum so it doesn't damage the hearth brick.
    My preference for cleaning the last of the ash from the hearth is a simple mop made of a stick with strips of cloth wired to the end. Many so that it drops the temp of the hearth . I suppose a full size mop soaking wet might. But a small mop wrung out is nothing the steam produced when it hits the hearth and the fine ash floats off on a raft of steam ... Cool to watch and satisfies the child bride that the hearth is washed and clean.
    On handle length ... Just start too long and shorten till that particular tool feels right. You end up with differing lengths but what the heck. The metal peels just new so it's to long now it's to get 4 ins off it and we'll see how it goes
    [ATTACH]34645[/ATTACH]
    The infamous 'hot hoe'
    Regards dave

Got it thanks Dave. So the copper or brass bristles burn off? or where you talking about natural bristles?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    Ya i saw that blow tube floating around the board. Thats a neat idea, how does the hoe substitute the broom? the hoe wont clean up the ash, right?. On another note how long should these handles be for a 40-42" oven?
    Gudday
    I've tried brooms they just seemed to get charred and the bristle disappear at a fast rate. The flat hoe I have is used for moving coals and ash around in the oven and bringing the excess to the front were a natural bristle brush and steel pan transfer it to a tin bucket. The hoe is made of 3 mm aluminum so it doesn't damage the hearth brick.
    My preference for cleaning the last of the ash from the hearth is a simple mop made of a stick with strips of cloth wired to the end. Many so that it drops the temp of the hearth . I suppose a full size mop soaking wet might. But a small mop wrung out is nothing the steam produced when it hits the hearth and the fine ash floats off on a raft of steam ... Cool to watch and satisfies the child bride that the hearth is washed and clean.
    On handle length ... Just start too long and shorten till that particular tool feels right. You end up with differing lengths but what the heck. The metal peels just new so it's to long now it's to get 4 ins off it and we'll see how it goes
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	922.9 KB
ID:	293670
    The infamous 'hot hoe'
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I quit using the broom once I got the hoe tweaked right. I also have a blow tube I use to clean the floor for cooking.

Ya i saw that blow tube floating around the board. Thats a neat idea, how does the hoe substitute the broom? the hoe wont clean up the ash, right?. On another note how long should these handles be for a 40-42" oven?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I quit using the broom once I got the hoe tweaked right. I also have a blow tube I use to clean the floor for cooking.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

So what kind of brushes/brooms do we need? copper? brass? natural bristle? and why? So far im going to need a peel, broom, ash shovel, i have a hoe. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X