X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Now, can you tell me where you got that ash hook on the left in the first picture? Love that!
    Made it from flat rectangle of stainless steel and gradually bent it across a pipe with a hammer - was a lot easier than I thought to get a nice bend. Then it was welded to the rod and sleeve that goes over the wooden handle.
    I can give you the dimensions if you want.

I would recommend the stainless steel rod as a transition to the wooden handle as you can see in most of the tools. I saw it on some tools for sale and thought it was a good idea. It is surprising hot it gets and it will save the handle potentially getting scotched or burnt after a while.

The ash hook does work very well getting the ask from all around the pompeii oven. If you were doing less tools, I think it would be optional - while it works great, the hook and flat ash rake are used more often.

Brett

Comment

Ya i would love to have something like that. Ive been thinking how i can make one using materials i have at home.
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

I go my pizza peel delivered yesterday, i open it up and the handle is broken... Grrr

Comment

Ive been slowly getting my tools together, using things i already have like a fireplace shovel, ash and a hoe, ive got my brushes and peels. Im working on making a ash hook. Ill try to post some pictures when i get a chance. In the meantime does anyone else want to share??

Comment

Bought this set in Italy for 25 euro, use only the brush, round peel and hook.

Have other self made items, will get some photos of these up once it stops raining here.

The small round peel is great, I use my handmade wood peel to lift pizzas off the prep area and put into oven, all other handlings are done with the small round peel. You can easily move multiple pizzas and turn them inside the oven. Very light and handy getting in and out of oven.

If anyone has never used one i would suggest this is the next thing you get/make.

*added peel photo, its very crude made it the first night we baked because we had nothing else, been a keeper ever since, made from 3mm plywood and an old broom handle!
            Last edited by plootsnot; 05-11-2013, 03:26 AM.

Comment

V-wiz,

Good site for info but the prices are WAY high!

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by plootsnot View Post

Have other self made items, will get some photos of these up once it stops raining here.

The small round peel is great, I use my handmade wood peel to lift pizzas off the prep area and put into oven, all other handlings are done with the small round peel. You can easily move multiple pizzas and turn them inside the oven. Very light and handy getting in and out of oven.

If anyone has never used one i would suggest this is the next thing you get/make.

*added peel photo, its very crude made it the first night we baked because we had nothing else, been a keeper ever since, made from 3mm plywood and an old broom handle!
                They look great for the price! Where can I get a set and would they post to Australia?
                Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Originally posted by plootsnot View Post

Nice tools thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by OzOvenBuilder View Post
                    They look great for the price! Where can I get a set and would they post to Australia?
                    Hey Oz,

Any hardware store in Italy has them, might be able to do an internet order only problem would be finding someone who speaks Ital to help you translate! Should be doable otherwise since most Italians & Greeks have an oven in their backyards these tools are readily available. Similar to availability of BBQ items in OZ I would think!

Regards

Kurt

Comment

Somewhere on the forum, I read a warning about the danger of using a metal-bristled brush in your oven. After reading this article in the paper the other day - I now see the issue a bit more clearly.

Root of teen?s mystery ailment: tiny wire from barbecue brush

Poor kid had to have exploratory surgery to find the wire that was lodged in his intestines!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Use a blow pipe to clear the ash. Just remember to blow not suck.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Finally got around getting my oven tools together.

8" peel, custom made coal rake made out of a steel trowel with the end bent. Brass wire brush with a scraper end. Large aluminum peel. Natural bristle brush, ash/coal shovel (home made). A bubble popper, i actually bought that to move pans in and out of the oven. A coal shovel and long tongs.

Comment

One of my favorite tools/toys. Definitely better than using matches and newspaper to light up. It has its own spark starter. I can get my first fire roaring in just a few minutes. Does this qualify as a tool for this thread? I hope so.

Aceves

Comment

Picked up a peel....nothing special, but I like American Metalcraft. Cheap, but a decent peel. I cut this one down by 3/4" all the way around, because I have a pretty small oven at 32". Sanded the aluminum down, then stained it. When it dries I'll oil it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1590.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	295968

I'll also be getting an 8" round peel. I think I'm going to try cobblerdave's idea of a blow tube from a golf club. It sure would be better for me, using it for the oven than on the golf course, that's for sure.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                Picked up a peel....nothing special, but I like American Metalcraft. Cheap, but a decent peel. I cut this one down by 3/4" all the way around, because I have a pretty small oven at 32". Sanded the aluminum down, then stained it. When it dries I'll oil it up.

[ATTACH]37232[/ATTACH]

I'll also be getting an 8" round peel. I think I'm going to try cobblerdave's idea of a blow tube from a golf club. It sure would be better for me, using it for the oven than on the golf course, that's for sure.
                                Try cutting one shaped like mine. The sides fit the dome shape for coal moving, the flat edge and point at front really useful too.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X