This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official - Show off your tools.

I don't have any metal working equipment, but I do have a hammer and some sheet metal that I had saved from the trash at work. So, this is what I made. I also have a couple of wood peels not shown in the photo. I have only used these a few times so far I like them real well. I realize that I need a tool to push coals sideways, so I'll have to get to that sometime. My forno has been under a tarp for the last 4 weeks due to the excessive winter weather. It is suppose to be 50 this weekend so it will be pizza time.

Comment

I love the wooden peel, I need to get one - only have aluminum peels.

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      My very first WFO tool........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????
      Where can I find logs? I need more!
      Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamG View Post
        I love the wooden peel, I need to get one - only have aluminum peels.
        I love the wooden peel, pizza pies slid right off when properly floured. I have not tried to slid one off a metal peel. I imagine it is a little tougher. I try to not touch the hearth with the peel as it scorches very easily.

I think I need to oil the peel more liberally. I think it would take the heat better. I cant find a light weight mineral oil. I been using what I could find and it is quite thick and does not soak into the peel very good.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build
        Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I used a wood peel for years on my Green Eggs and once I got the Aluminum one with perforations in it, Ill never go back to wood. Lighter, sharper edge for getting under the dough, no cracking and scorching and minimal stickyness! I think the perfs make the difference
          My build documentary page:
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

I use both metal and wood, they both work just fine, pies slide off just fine.
            Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

I think I need to oil the peel more liberally. I think it would take the heat better. I cant find a light weight mineral oil. I been using what I could find and it is quite thick and does not soak into the peel very good.
              KB,

Try this stuff. It's properties are magical. (It's what the Chinese Armada coated their giant ships with when they discovered America in 1421.) I just got my peels and am going to coat the wood handles, but need to think about doing the broad, flat portion of the wood peel.

I've put tung oil on my grill brush handle and it looks new after three years. It's food safe and you can get it at the big box stores.

Tung Oil - Woodwork Details

Comment

I use butcher block oil on my peels. You can get it at HD. Also works a treat on concrete countertops. I find it helps a lot if you give them a light sanding before you use. The last one I got came with some sort of varnish on it that was not great. Worked terrific after sanding and conditioning.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                  KB,

Try this stuff. It's properties are magical. (It's what the Chinese Armada coated their giant ships with when they discovered America in 1421.) I just got my peels and am going to coat the wood handles, but need to think about doing the broad, flat portion of the wood peel.

I've put tung oil on my grill brush handle and it looks new after three years. It's food safe and you can get it at the big box stores.

Tung Oil - Woodwork Details
                  Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  I use butcher block oil on my peels. You can get it at HD. Also works a treat on concrete countertops. I find it helps a lot if you give them a light sanding before you use. The last one I got came with some sort of varnish on it that was not great. Worked terrific after sanding and conditioning.
                  Thanks John for the link, good info.

I did a Google search on where to find Tung oil and also came up with Dee's butcher block. I stopped buy Home depot on the way home and found Both. I decide to go with the Butcher Block Made by Howard. I thought about what you said John about yours and decided to use the Butcher block. The Tung oil hardens, not sure if it wouldn't flake off on a cutting board, although food safe, not very appetizing ............Anyway HD sells two kinds, Butcher Block & Cutting Board Oil and Butcher Block Conditioner. I bought both about $9.00 a bottle. One is mineral oil with vitamin E and the other Mineral oil with waxes.

I have two of exact same cutting board, I'll try out each and compare and report back.

Also I read on one of the reviews posted buy a butcher block maker and he says he uses the conditioner with 400 grit wet sand paper and it make the blocks like brand new.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Ok guys,
                    Last night I had a chance to try out the Butcher Block oil with vitamin E......... Great stuff DJ............ I did not realize how dry my cutting boards were, they soaked the oil up like a sponge. In the past I thought I had seasoned them. I treated them with a thick mineral oil I found in the pharmacy area at Wally World, I guess it all just sat on top and was wash away.

I decide not to use the Butch Block Conditioner yet, because I think it would impede the absorption of the oil, which I'm plan to recoat soon. I think it would be better left to a well season board or peel. I think the waxes will keep oil in and water out. Also one of the claims on the bottles description........... I'm Glad I bought both types.

John,
                    I like your Idea for the Tung oil for handles, I think I'll get some to do my peel handle. The Butcher block I think would make it slippery or have greasy feeling.

Just my inexperienced opinion
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Glad it worked for you KB. It soaks in pretty completely, doesn't really leave a residue
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hmmmm I ask myself WHY this thread isn't still being riddled with posts. A pizza oven armamentarium is essential. I cannot even use my pizza oven yet until I get the correct tools ... even if they are (at first, anyway) ... homemade.

Comment

I want to buy THIS set online, .. but boy .... it sure is expensive at almost $600.
                          Attached Files

Comment

My tools

Comment

Wow - some really inspiring posts here.
                              I’ve just finished making my set of tools - they get hung inside a shed when not in use.
                              Made a log support thing, fashioned a Tuscan grill from a defunct BBQ (if I turn it 90 degrees I can use it with skewers for things like chicken tikka), a brush, turning peel, pan hook and embers rake. Also made a couple of peels that I can use for making the pizzas on and then loading into the oven.
                              Working on an insulated door with a thermometer - photo shows the progress so far.
                              Can’t wait for the warmer weather!
                              Regards,
                              Mark

Comment

Oops - here’s the photo of the door. Might have this finished by next weekend.
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X