Protection on finished oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection on finished oven

Hello I just finished my oven and now I'm looking for a product that will limit the amount of soot that will build on the exterior bricks. Any tips? I'd think there is some sort if coating to spray on that wont look bad on the bricks but still making it easy to clean off. Need some help since this is my intro into the construction world. Thanks!

Re: Protection on finished oven

Originally posted by JFoster0403 View Post
    Hello I just finished my oven and now I'm looking for a product that will limit the amount of soot that will build on the exterior bricks. Any tips? I'd think there is some sort if coating to spray on that wont look bad on the bricks but still making it easy to clean off. Need some help since this is my intro into the construction world. Thanks!
    Without knowing any of the particulars of your build, I would suggest adding a little more height to your flu. IMO, it would be best to control the smoke.

Just Say'n
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I would go with a nicely shaped piece of sheet metal to form a hood right above the door, just enough to deflect the smoke away from the face of the bricks. In my experience flue height does not always equate with more draw, the smoke always seems to want to "billow" out.

Comment

You flue looks large enough so......

Make the lid of the chimney higher so the smoke can escape easier, the smoke is backing up in the chimney and down the flue and out the door.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

All new ovens smoke until they're really dry. You may just need to fire it more. Adding height and therefore more draw would be a simple modification. Keep your fire small until it gets going well and the flue is really starting to pull. Overloading the chamber is also a recipe for smoke out the front.

Fine looking oven by the way.
          Last edited by david s; 04-17-2013, 05:48 AM. Reason: forgot compliment
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You can use a draft door ("blast door") that lets combustion air in at the bottom, but seals against the top of the entry, to force the smoke up the flue. If you see visible smoke when the oven's warm, then you've got too much fuel - collapse the fire so there's less wood exposed to the air, or pull a few pieces out and smother them in your ash can.

Comment

Originally posted by vtsteve View Post
              If you see visible smoke when the oven's warm, then you've got too much fuel -
              Havent heard that one before, I thought the more fuel the bigger the fire the greater the draw?

Visible smoke when warn makes me think the flue is too small or restricted in some way.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi, Al. Smoke is largely unburned carbon -- I've been running with a draft door and smaller fires, and trying for complete combustion. It takes a little longer to heat up, but I've cut my wood consumption by probably 40%. If you want to send your unburned wood up the chimney and get there a little faster, that's a choice - but there is another way.

To clarify: I'm talking about visible smoke leaving the top of the flue - I try for nothing but heat shimmer.
                Last edited by vtsteve; 04-20-2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I think I was in with the first group on the forum to try a blast door so you are preaching to the converted.

Here is a pic of my second blast door.
                  Attached Files

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Just be aware that the use of either forced air induction, like a hair dryer, or a "blast door" bring the combustion chamber to ideal atmosphere, so if there is plenty of fuel there the temperature climbs extremely fast. A rate of around 400C/ hr places enormous strain on the refractory because of the uneven expansion. If you want to be kind to your refractory allow a slower rise.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Have made a beautiful kauri door for my oven with stainless back and ceramic fibre insulation. Can anyone recommend an oil that I can put on the door to protect it from the weather? Would like to use something natural. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X