Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tile saw Needed or not?

Originally posted by Filthymutt View Post
    I've no chop saw but I have an angle grinder and 4" marble cutter (mini circular saw) with a diamond blade so I'll see how it goes. Thanks
    Have you tried going to any local shops that do tile or construction work and ask them where they buy their equipment.

I specifically remember sections of Hong Kong that had many shops in a specific area doing lots of mosaic tile work.

But Hong Kong is not typical of the rest of China so .....

Chip
    Chip

Comment

No, HK is certainly not representative of the rest of the country. Not at all. The people, the culture, the way of doing business, it's like night and day sometimes.

Local shops? Been here for a long long time. Nothing of the sort that I've found thus far. There are lots of "shops" where you can buy stuff. Think of a self storage area, ground level, all roller doors, etc. Then when all those doors are open everything, in all its barely organized mess comes tumbling out. Then picture some guy sitting on a stool back up against the wall snoring away, cover all of it in an inch of dust and you kind of get the picture. Contractors to do the work can be found asking around. Then they will do the work if you ask. If you find a guy you think will do it.
      I went to Masonry places and tool places, showed them photos on my ipad of tile saws, etc. they all said they'd never seen one before.

Even on Taobao, the Chinese Ebay there was nothing save one that was not quite right.

Anyway I will make do without.

Thanks
      Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Gudday
        Finished a brick cover over my dome today. Like the rustic look so the old brick bulster did most of the work again. For the little tiddly bits at the top I used a borrowed 14 in metal chop saw. It did the job it's a brute of a thing. The dust however had to be seen to be believed! Definitly not in an enclosed space!
        But it could be a lot more user friendly and I would think and the blades would last longer to if you could fit a water feed to it. So keep your eye out for one it could be easier to find that a dedicated bricksaw.
        Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave, A chop saw I can get. I'm sure I can cut the bricks in half with the tools I have.
          I've found a tile saw on line but the price is pretty high at about US$550.00 I think with a bit more hunting I might still be able to get something at a more reasonable price. If not the chop saw might be the route to go.
          Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            You have to be kidding me, all the tools we buy here now are from China.

See if you can get hold of one of these its what I bought for bricklaying and its a beast, all made in China.
            $Au700 here, Im sure you can get a better price over there.

Well as it turns out I can get this one:

For about RMB$3,600.00 or US$580.00 or AU$595.00 same same?
            Bob
            Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Filthymutt View Post
              Well as it turns out I can get this one:
              For about RMB$3,600.00 or US$580.00 or AU$595.00 same same?
              Bob
              Cool, how big is the blade?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

They actually have 3 different models: That was the model A you can see the specs below. A has a 35cm blade (about 14") She told me today another 250.00 rmb for shipping and 400 for a diamond blade. I am not sure how much extra for the lawyers fees when my wife divorces me over the cost of this oven/kitchen ;-)

But total saw cost 3,600 + 400 + 250 = 4,250 RMB or 702.00 Ozzie

I'm not sure yet if I am going to do it or not. I mean once this project is finished I am not sure if I'll ever use it again. But hmm if I can shut down the water and change blades to make a regular Radial Arm saw out of it maybe...

Model Blade Size mm Motor Power kw V/HZ Turnning Speed of blade Max Cutting Length mm Max Cutting Depth mm Packing mm N.W/G.W kgs MOQ SET Delivery Days Payment Price USD EXW Price RMB EXW
                OSC-A 350 2.8 220/380 2800 600 110 1360x690x570 88/105 1 7 T/T $570.00 ?3,600.00
                OSC-A600 600 4 380 1440 590 210 1450*750*950 123*138 1 20 T/T $910.00 ?5,800.00
                OSC-B 350 2.8 220/380 2800 500 110 1030x630x650 75/95 1 7 T/T $530.00 ?3,400.00
                Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Well, just lost one of my replies again!

Better buy it quickly! If it has Brickies stamp of approval, you will be good to go! Better get some good advice on blades--a good one is going to cost some coin---but a cheap one won't last.. Good ones pay for themselves!

Got any current pix?

On a different topic, aren't there a lot of manufacturers for precast tops there?
                  A couple years back, we were importing tops from China--forgot the place though!

Comment

Nothing in the last few days. Couldn't use any power tools over the weekend so I didn't get much done. And yesterday I found out where the "Power tools market" in Beijing is/are. There are actually 3 of them. and of course they are as far south of the center of town as I am to the north so it was and hour and fifteen to get to the first one today and another 20 minutes in between. I ended up using half my day exploring them but no luck in finding that tile saw in the flesh as I was hoping. So if I get it it has to be on line.

I'm posting pics to http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html but so far nothing exciting to look at. The yard is a disaster area but I will take more shots tomorrow and post soon.

Bob
                    Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Hello there dirty dog!
                      The castable refractory for my dome cost 1/2 of the price of the saw you are contemplating. I spent a whole lot of time making a form--but that is what I do, and it was a real challenge working with the angles. But once completed, the casting took about an hour, forms stripped the following day. So far, XXXXXXXXXXmy fingers, no cracks in the castable even though it was 1000F on sunday!

You've been married? 15 years??? divorce lawyers fees--really don't think so!
                      I've been married 42 years???? sometimes, I think divorce lawers fees would be cheap!

Who said dat???

Hope you can get out the rut of finding things and get back to building! Looking for photos! always like to see photos!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                        Well, just lost one of my replies again!

Better buy it quickly! If it has Brickies stamp of approval, you will be good to go! Better get some good advice on blades--a good one is going to cost some coin---but a cheap one won't last.. Good ones pay for themselves!

Got any current pix?

On a different topic, aren't there a lot of manufacturers for precast tops there?
                        A couple years back, we were importing tops from China--forgot the place though!
                        Sorry I forgot to answer that last bit about the tops. You mean counter tops?
                        Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Another option! when your cut brick oven is complete, you could send the saw to .........maybe Tochigi prefecture as "scrap" or Australia as "scrap", you would recover some of your costs and the buyer....hint...me..me would get one hell of a deal! Except the trucking, customs clearance fees, port entrance fee, inland freight, and local and federal sales tax ----all would make it a bust!!!!!!!!!!

Got caught importing rice crispies cereal 10 years ago! Did not have a license for importing rice! Cost $800 to unload the container for inspection; and then they gave me the choice of incinerating the cereal or returning to point of shipment. chose incineration--case of rice crispies went up in smoke for $850... $50 covered the price of the cereal through a broker..then had to pay for 3 trucks to bring my building materials to jobsite rather than a loaded container---another $1200.............

Pretty expensive cereal...
                          All I wanted was "peanut butter-rice crispy bars"...taste of mid america!
                          instead a $2050 bill for burnt crispies...

On top of all that, the next several containers had to be opened for inspection --rather than a customery approval......more costs that lasted through the entire year!

Great to learn about import housing!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                            Hello there dirty dog!
                            The castable refractory for my dome cost 1/2 of the price of the saw you are contemplating. I spent a whole lot of time making a form--but that is what I do, and it was a real challenge working with the angles. But once completed, the casting took about an hour, forms stripped the following day. So far, XXXXXXXXXXmy fingers, no cracks in the castable even though it was 1000F on sunday!

You've been married? 15 years??? divorce lawyers fees--really don't think so!
                            I've been married 42 years???? sometimes, I think divorce lawers fees would be cheap!

Who said dat???

Hope you can get out the rut of finding things and get back to building! Looking for photos! always like to see photos!
                            Ha ha. Well, been in China for 15. Married 17 or so. 42? Wow. Even if you ad my first wife into the mix my total married years split between the two of them is 23, yeesh!

I was thinking about your casting project. Just the thought of it seems more than my little brain can handle. Bricks are easier for me to understand, stack one on top of the other and squeeze'm together a bit, ha ha. I should only hope its going to work that way.

Talking about pics I want to see some of that beauty you are keeping your fingers crossed over. Good luck with it!

See My Beijing Build album at:

Bob
                            Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

yes, counter tops.
                              They are called "ginko di-e-seki", I don't know the proper Japanese terms but the term means "imitation stone". There are a lot of manufacturers of imitation stone counters in china. Some are very nice and the price is cheap. You might check it out ...they also have precast sinks and all the accessories like faucets, tailpieces, strainer baskets and the works for doing a great looking counter.

the counters come polished and ready to install. I did an installation in Yokosuka, Kanagawa prefecture where the customer purchased all his stuff from China and imported it. Everything came out fantastic. his tops were top of the line and his accessories all worked out great. he is one happy camper!

Comment

it is "structural slab for new WFO" --my camera is needing repairs and Canon told me--too old! Just like the owner! But the camera is only 9 years old..but for electronics...that is ice age! got to break the piggie bank, already cracked from the oven and see if there is enough money for an up to date did-gee camera!

I'm as old as dirt but Laurentius is a year older! making me "japanese word for subbordinate --"mikku cun", the youngster!!!!!!!!!

makes me feel like a spring chiken or chicken!:

Comment

Working...
                                X