The build tools thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The build tools thread

I didn't see a tools thread on here, sorry if I missed it.

I really like tools and I imagine most people who decide to build their own wood fired oven probably do too. I'd like to start a list of tools that work, tools that don't, tools you made, etc. I know there are a few specific threads on the latter topic.

This moment, I'm looking for the best style of angle grinder diamond wheel for brick and/or concrete. I can't seem to find any information about which diamond segment pattern is appropriate for what material. dual row, "turbo", T segment, V segment, etc. It seems a number of you use these, which style wheel did you buy? what grinder are you using? has anyone used them wet? I was thinking of using the 3gph submersible pump and a section of loc-line to flood cool the wheel

So far, the current model Harbor freight 10" tile/brick saw has served me well. I did buy the legs for it, which was a wise move, I think. it made it a lot easier to get in and out of the garage and set up. I'm using a 10" rigid segmented blade from Home Depot, it's between 1/4 and 1/3 used in approx 250 cuts of common brick, and if anything that's a low number. I believe it was $65 with tax, and I chose it over the harbor freight non segmented(all they offer, $30) because the reviews said they don't last. Favourite 10" diamond blades?

I also can't say enough how helpful a rub brick is for cleaning up uneven mortar for us amateurs I also used it extensively on the block stand to take the rough casting flash off the tops of the CMUs so the level would sit flat on top and give a true reading.

What other tools have you found invaluable on your build?
    Time flies like an arrow; Fruit Flies like a banana.

My oven (thus far): http://www.tinyurl.com/ogorirsoven

Re: The build tools thread

Originally posted by ogorir View Post
    This moment, I'm looking for the best style of angle grinder diamond wheel for brick and/or concrete. I can't seem to find any information about which diamond segment pattern is appropriate for what material. dual row, "turbo", T segment, V segment, etc. It seems a number of you use these, which style wheel did you buy? what grinder are you using? has anyone used them wet? I was thinking of using the 3gph submersible pump and a section of loc-line to flood cool the wheel
    It depends on what you are cutting. Soft brick and stone - continuous rim works O.K. Segmented rim will cut more aggressively, the V notch more than the T....good for general cutting and hard material.
    You can get water feed grinders...they are used as polishers, but it is essentially a wet use angle grinder. If you jerry rig a regular grinder for wet cutting, expect a shocking experience. If you feel you must wet cut with a grinder, just buy a polisher...they are insulated and have a GFCI. Check Polishers, Sanders, & Profiling Equipment - Air polisher, Wet polisher, Planetary polisher, Polishing pads. Contractors Direct to see some examples.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

On converting a regular angle grinder, I seriously doubt there's any major insulation going on that isn't already present on a standard double-insulated angle grinder, which is any one with a 2-prong cord. I was planning a GFCI, as well. I figure it's worth the 10$ GFCI, 8$ loc-line, and 10$ angle grinder to not have to wear a dust mask. worst case I can use the loc-line with the air compressor to blow the dust away so I can see what I'm doing.

So... the V notch is probably the best bet for concrete, hard brick, and medium duty firebrick. there seems to be more options in the angled pad variety (like this around the rim //////// ) are they similarly aggressive? I've used a 7" one from HF before, but that was 2 years ago and I was just messing around facing some limestone, so not much of a test there.

Comment

Originally posted by ogorir View Post
        On converting a regular angle grinder, I seriously doubt there's any major insulation going on that isn't already present on a standard double-insulated angle grinder, which is any one with a 2-prong cord. I was planning a GFCI, as well. I figure it's worth the 10$ GFCI, 8$ loc-line, and 10$ angle grinder to not have to wear a dust mask. worst case I can use the loc-line with the air compressor to blow the dust away so I can see what I'm doing.

So... the V notch is probably the best bet for concrete, hard brick, and medium duty firebrick. there seems to be more options in the angled pad variety (like this around the rim //////// ) are they similarly aggressive? I've used a 7" one from HF before, but that was 2 years ago and I was just messing around facing some limestone, so not much of a test there.
        There is a difference. There is more to it than a ground on the cord...but you asked about it, and there it is.

If you are that worried about dust then wear a respirator, not a dust mask. And instead of blowing the dust away, use a shop vac....I had to do that a couple times indoors and it works pretty good.

The ////// blades are called continuous rim. Any segmented rim will cut material faster than a continuous rim, though both are capable of the task.

V notch isn't used much for cutting material, but to chase cracks in concrete or cut out old mortar joints for tuck-point prep.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I guess I wasn't explaining what I'm looking for well enough. I'm very happy with my 10" cutoff blade, a Rigid segmented blade.

I'm looking for one of the angle grinding wheels for relieving edges, changing an angle slightly, etc.

The first row are from amazon, all the crazy ones are from fleabay. I presume they're junk, so i guess my real question is do I want a double row or //// wheel?

Comment

Those are called cup grinders and surface grinders.

Get a surface grinder (top row second from right), they are not as aggressive as a cup grinder ( the segmented ones). They come in course,medium and fine grit
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Ok, that'll work. I'm really surprised at the lack of information for selecting these, given the number of styles.

I guess I'll give the HF one a shot... if it's crap, it's a low investment.

On the dust mask, I meant respirator. I work in autobody, all I ever wear is a paint respirator, whether it's sanding bondo, painting, whatever. I can't deal with the fiber masks, they don't filter hardly anything. I was really just hoping to not coat the entire back yard (and myself) in dust. if those vacuum ring guards work well, perhaps I'll just go that route.

Comment

What stonecutter said.... I used the same cup wheel he suggested for the reason you suggested.
                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
                X