Checking the internal temp of meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking the internal temp of meat?

I am considering one of these thermometers, but I was wondering if I put some pork in the oven and left it over night would the wires not burn??? If the monitor was external to the oven (behind the door).

ESP - LCD Digital Timer Food Thermometer Probe Sensor Alarm Cooking Catering BBQ | eBay

What are your thoughts??
    Where can I find logs? I need more!
    Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Re: Checking the internal temp of meat?

Originally posted by GrahamG View Post
    I am considering one of these thermometers, but I was wondering if I put some pork in the oven and left it over night would the wires not burn??? If the monitor was external to the oven (behind the door).

ESP - LCD Digital Timer Food Thermometer Probe Sensor Alarm Cooking Catering BBQ | eBay

What are your thoughts??
    I have a couple of these - never had a problem using them in the oven
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

What are your thoughts??
      I think they are great. I purchased a second one over Xmas, because I was cooking two things and its hard to guess how the food is going without one or two. The ones I have a different brand and use radio transmitters but do the same job as the one you are looking at.

My two in use:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...-19976-18.html

I don't think the wires will burn below 300 C. They will most likely be silicon coated wire in a stainless steel woven sheath. You will need to be careful with the plastic control box. If you can't hold your hand on the surface, the box will likely melt.
      Last edited by brissie; 01-18-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I like the look of these one think i will wait for the grill2 thats is out in may
        Cheers Craig
        Cheers Craig

Comment

Stupid question...you do leave it in the meat whilst it cooks?
          Where can I find logs? I need more!
          Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Stupid question...you do leave it in the meat whilst it cooks?
            yes, the probes and cable should be okay up to about 300c, so leave it in.

Comment

The Weber remote monitors are very good.

nice long cord on the probe too, which is shielded with metal.
              -------------------------------------------
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

The manual variety that have no wires or batteries are more reliable.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I like the auto ones because you don't have to keep opening up the oven...

as the bbq guys say - .. If you're looking - you're not cooking...

plus repeated stabs into the meat makes it release more juices.

never had any problems with my auto one that I've had for 5 years... still on the same batteries too...

plus i'm lazy.
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    The manual variety that have no wires or batteries are more reliable.
                    Not always, I think its pot luck with a lot of stuff this day and age.

I recently (in the last year) bought a mechanical meat thermometer at ALDI. guess what it doesn't know about expansion, bimetallic strips or spring constants. It don't work, and will burn your food.

So I think quality for a lot of manufacturing sucks, and its not always limited to price, though it can be a factor. So Ebay electronic thermometers will likely perform as well as an ebay mechanical one.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Comment

No matter what the device, digital or manual, you may have to test the tool for your elevation and adjust your "readings" accordingly. Here is one site that has a chart . (Sorry it is in fahernheit) If it ain't close, you may want to return it or throw it a way.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 01-20-2014, 05:53 PM.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        No matter what the device, digital or manual, you may have to test the tool for your elevation and adjust your "readings" accordingly.
                        What they are saying is that water boils at a lower temperature as the elevation goes up, because atmospheric pressure is going down.
                        If the thermometer reads 203 degrees at 4500 feet above see level in boiling water it doesn't mean the thermometer is reading wrong, it means the water is colder and your thermometer is right.
                        You don't adjust your readings according to elevation, though you do throw the thing away if it doesn't read 203 +/- a couple of degrees when immersed in boiling water at 4500 feet.
                        If the thermometer is "right" it will be "right" at any elevation.
                        At altitude, because the water is boiling at a lower temperature, it takes longer to raise the internal temperature of whatever food you are boiling to the temperature at which the food is considered cooked.
                        Last edited by wotavidone; 01-21-2014, 02:15 AM.

Comment

No you may have to test the tool for your elevation
                          Yes, this is a common problem when tools get old.

Although wires and batteries may improve the elevation.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

No matter what the device, digital or manual, you may have to test the tool for your elevation and adjust your "readings" accordingly. Here is one site that has a chart . (Sorry it is in fahernheit) If it ain't close, you may want to return it or throw it a way.

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                            What they are saying is that water boils at a lower temperature as the elevation goes up, because atmospheric pressure is going down.
                            If the thermometer reads 203 degrees at 4500 feet above see level in boiling water it doesn't mean the thermometer is reading wrong, it means the water is colder and your thermometer is right.
                            You don't adjust your readings according to elevation, though you do throw the thing away if it doesn't read 203 +/- a couple of degrees when immersed in boiling water at 4500 feet.
                            If the thermometer is "right" it will be "right" at any elevation.
                            At altitude, because the water is boiling at a lower temperature, it takes longer to raise the internal temperature of whatever food you are boiling to the temperature at which the food is considered cooked.
                            Whutt

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            Yes, this is a common problem when tools get old.

Although wires and batteries may improve the elevation.
                            Whutt

I feel another "sand vrs. marbles" exchange developing here
                            Last edited by Gulf; 01-21-2014, 07:15 PM.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                              True.
                              the problem is assuming there's the same constant between temperature and 'done-ness' at sea level as there is at altitude.

what we are getting hung up on here is this constant.

The temperature of anything is always what the probe says, regardless of altitude. They never need re-calibrating. (at altitude)

What needs re-calibrating is your mental scale for 'temp vs done-ness' at altitude, especially if you are aiming for rare.

and since 'done-ness' is subjective... we could be here a long time
                              Last edited by Mitchamus; 01-21-2014, 09:30 PM. Reason: added (at altitude) caveat
                              My 2nd Build:
                              Is here

Comment

Working...
                              X