Rooker - what was old is now new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooker - what was old is now new

I found a picture of an ash and coal rake from an 18th century technical encyclopedia from France Circa 1750.

They had a plate that showed a Baker's Rooker.

So I adapted the design and materials and came up with the items shown in the pics attached. I had enough steel to make two. One long for reaching way back and one for up front work and scraping into a dust pan.

Material:

1 each 1 1/4 in X 1/8 in X 8 feet steel strap
    1 each 1x1 x 36 in hardwood dowel
    2 each -1/4 x 1 in bolt with nut and washer

Overall it is 54 inches

Re: Rooker - what was old is now new

Some things you just can't improve on. Nicely done!

Comment

This is a plate from a 1730's encyclopedia from France. Different equipment used in a bake shop. I also posted this on the fire starting thread.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I can see where it would work. I'll be trying one out for myself, real soon .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Is spring steel the same as strap steel? I would be interested in fabricating these also.
          jon
          jon

Comment

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
            Is spring steel the same as strap steel? I would be interested in fabricating these also.
            jon
            I used flat weldable steel, not spring steel. You should be able to pick it up at any metal retailer or hardware store.

Did the pics from the 18th century help?

Comment

I have some "mild steel" stock that would be easy to work with. After your original post, I had tried to Google "French oven tools", "rooker" etc. But, could not find it. The pic form the 18th century encyclopedia is golden .

Thanks again,
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Try this video on YouTube. It shows a rooker in action.
                Baked Beans - 18th Century Cooking Series at Jas Townsend and Son - YouTube

Comment

Yes, this helps a lot. I will be looking into this further once the weather warms up here. I definitely need a tool which can satisfy these needs. Thanks for the info on these rookers!!!

jon
                  jon

Comment

Thank's Michael,
                    This link that you pm'd did show a lot more of the rooker. It will definately be in my line up for the "first team" of tools .

Edit: Jas Townsend is a little deep for me on his historical reinactments and such but, he has a lot of great WFO videos and some very interesting history tied to his recipes!

Thank's again,
                    Joe
                    Last edited by Gulf; 03-26-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Navyintel,
                      I finally got around to throwing one together this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rooker 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	304116

It is a little wider bladed than usual. I went out to my cold and presumably "clean" oven to try it out. I easily raked out another 5 or 6 tablespoons of ash hiding in the corners. The shape of these things make it much easier to rake the very back. The hoe I was using did not get to that area real well. It is also much easier to rake the blind spots just the sides of the arch. The rooker is a great little tool and, very easy to build.

Thanks for the idea .
                      Last edited by Gulf; 04-27-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

G'day Gulf
                        That looks the part. I'm warming to this tool more and more as time goes on.
                        I recon if I can find some steel to suit I'm going to make myself one. My oven entrance protrudes into the oven floor and I recon there's ash in those corners from the first fire!
                        I've put away some 1 1/4 in hard wood stock away for the handle already. It will plane and sand up well.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

This rooker seems to be an interesting tool, and getting some good reports. I have been using this curved bladed tool to move the fire around the oven and remove ash and coals etc. It is made of aluminium sheet and is a little less than 3" across the blade. It works both left and right handed and I use it to both push and drag ash and coals. As you can see it is a front line tool.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Gulf's tool looks great. The design has the final metal at 90 degrees and straight, not curved. This makes 100% of the coals in contact with the tool regardless of the handel angle. Good job.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                              This rooker seems to be an interesting tool, and getting some good reports. I have been using this curved bladed tool to move the fire around the oven and remove ash and coals etc. It is made of aluminium sheet and is a little less than 3" across the blade. It works both left and right handed and I use it to both push and drag ash and coals. As you can see it is a front line tool.
                              G'day Steve
                              How thick is that blade? I have some aluminum which is 2.5 mm thick that might make a good rooker if it stiff enough. I like aluminium ...less likely to wear an chip the oven
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X