Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• infrared laser thermometers

Hi all!
    Planning on purchasing a laser infrared therm. Just wondering what some of you think about what kind to consider purchasing. I am currently looking at a Craftsman thermometer that reads to 1000 degrees or a Microtemp that reads to 932 degrees. Dont know what direction to move and hoping for some feedback!
    Thanks
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Re: infrared laser thermometers

I beleive that either one will ultimately suit your needs. I have a Neiko that reads to 1022F.

While we all want that blazingly hot fire on its way to a white dome, the real use of the thermometer is in the working of the oven and the heat management.

A thermometer that reads to 932F is well within the working range of the oven. Beyond that, over temperature is still over and I am not sure that how much over realy matters. Go for the one with the better quality.

J W

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
    Hi all!
    Planning on purchasing a laser infrared therm. Just wondering what some of you think about what kind to consider purchasing. I am currently looking at a Craftsman thermometer that reads to 1000 degrees or a Microtemp that reads to 932 degrees. Dont know what direction to move and hoping for some feedback!
    Thanks
    Dutch

Comment

I would look for features such as Average/Min/Max Temp recording. Also one that retains the temp reading on the display after releasing the trigger. That allows you to get a reading without sticking your head in the 700 degree oven...they may all do that, but it is sure important. I would say that the most important readings I do are when I am determining is the hearth is 650 or 750...and when I am cooled down to bread temps, is the dome 650 or 500...So the temp range of those thermometers seems perfectly adequate...

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

The one I have (and we sell) goes to 932ºF. Over that it says HI. When you are firing your oven that there is a lot of flame in the dome, it will read HI, but that's rare, and anything over 932 really is high.

Drew has it right that it's nice having the temp reading hold after you've "popped" the oven. I like a lot of traditional things, but in this case, I think they are pretty cool, and very helpful.

Kids love them.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hey, it's not just kids...my adult guests (men and women alike) will pretty immediately take the reading of the closest crotch...Classy...
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Can't say I've aimed mine at anyone's crotch (I'm sure I will now) , but I play with mine all the time - I've aimed it at virtually everything inside and out of my house.....does pretty well aimed in the oven too

I do agree, in my brief experience heat management is the key, as long as it registers in that 500-900 range, your golden

RT

Comment

I found this one and I am drooling thinking about buying it right now.

Next Generation SUPERMETER? with Laser Sighting

I will have 3 K-type thermocouples imbedded in the dome and this does infrared and reads 2 thermocouples simultaneously, gives min, max, differential, ect. It definetely overkill, but I am an electronics tech/techno geek so.........
              Wade Lively

Comment

I bought mine on Amazon, seems to be working well. Goes to 1050 then goes to HI.

It's funny about the places people shoot them. I have to hide it now when we have parties ot the guests burn th batteries up just when I need it!

If you live where it is hot and use the AC a bunch, shoot all the vents in your house and you will be very surprised. I had one room blowing 66 and another blowing 76. Sure am glad I spent all that money on a new system.

One more thing, watch the C/F setting. I was cussing the oven last Sunday because it wouldn't heat up, kept adding wood, white ceiling, but it was like 400 or something, then it snapped, switched to F, bingo, Pizza ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
                  One more thing, watch the C/F setting. I was cussing the oven last Sunday because it wouldn't heat up, kept adding wood, white ceiling, but it was like 400 or something, then it snapped, switched to F, bingo, Pizza ready!
                  I gave a pumpkin pie recipe to a guy in Austrailia a while back - he freaked when it said 350! He had to look up the conversion when it finally dawned on him.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

I have ordered through Amazon...Neiko I believe...932 top temp with peak temp hold...also ordered a book called "Your Brick Oven"...will post reviews on both soon...thanks to everyone for their valued advice
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

We sell one too. Don't forget the FB store. Who are these Amazon guys?
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I got one as a gift.
                        It is a Maverick infrared laser bbq thermometer.
                        f or c, -58f to 1022f
                        going to try it out this week
                        Its been fun pointing it at everything.
                        I just hope it will help with the cooking.
                        Leep

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                          We sell one too. Don't forget the FB store. Who are these Amazon guys?
                          James
                          Took me a few minutes to find, though...

Amazon? Never heard of 'em.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                          [/CENTER]

Comment

This is an older thread but for those interested there is a inexpensive infrared thermometer on sale at Harbor Freight right now. I ordered one and they said it would be 20 days out (before being shipped) as it was currently backordered. But for the price (and the fact my oven isn't built yet) I can wait. Here's the link:

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Odd, when I hit "Preview Post I" get what appears to be a generic Harbor Freight link. If that turns out to be the case the item number is 96451

Wiley

Comment

That is a good price. Let us know how it works out.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                              X