X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saftey Issues

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    Not true. Firebricks are mostly silica and alumina. You don't want to breathe the stuff on a regular basis, but it's not nearly as toxic as asbestos. You are unlikely to be able to buy anything new that contains even trace amounts of asbestos.

Still, you don't want to breathe the dust. When you're cutting, particularly cutting dry with an angle grinder or such, wear a proper respirator, not one of those paper dust masks.
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease... I've just seen all these references lately to class-action lawsuits for workplace asbestos exposure, naming, among the usual others, firebrick manufacture. I'm glad to hear, as will my wife, that we won't be putting ourselves at risk for mesothelioma with every pizza we cook!

again, thanks!
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Know you limits. Don't overextend yourself. Lift with your legs. Never extend your arms out with a load. And for gods sake, don't go twisting your back about whilst lifting, carrying or placing heavy items.

Comment

The only issues with cutting bricks is the silica dust. Ceramic fibre is pretty safe until it has been fired where the binders are burnt out but it is in the 1000 degree C range which is nowhere near WFO temps. Cal Sil is safe.

Comment

Be careful mixing your concrete.

BEWARE OF THE 80LB BAGS!!!

Im scheduled for back surgery this Tues thanks to QUIKRETE

My oven has been on hold due to a ruptured disk - im 37 in good health other than that!
          Last edited by toddj; 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Hey Todd, I was wondering where you'd gone! I'm sorry about your back. Good luck with the surgery- my sister in law had a roto-rooter job on her disc several years ago and is much better since.

Good to see you back.
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Ouch. I hope it isn't too bad. Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks guys maybe I can celebrate recovery with some pizza this summer

Comment

In addition to lifting a safe load an often forgotten safety issue when dealing with these types of projects is safely of transporting your materials.

Do not overload your car, truck trailer or van. If you have items on the roof such as lumber or in an open trailer make sure that the load is properly strapped down or otherwise secured.

A few years ago I was in a Menards Lumber yard and saw a man put so many concrete blocks in his trailer that he blew the tire right there. It was a good thing he was not going down the highway at 60 when the tire exploded.

Drive a safe load.

Chip

Comment

What about asbestos in the perlite or vermiculite??? Does anyone know for sure if it contains any?

Comment

Perlite is a naturally occurring substance. It is mined from volcanic areas and has nothing to do with asbestos, except looking similar to asbestos matl. I don't think they would be selling it in Home Depot if it had asbestos in it. Asbestos was outlawed in the US a long time ago and I assure you there is no asbestos in the vermiculite or perlite.
                      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

The concern is that the premier vermiculite mine in the U.S. produced vermiculite containing asbestos back in the bad old 70s (give or take a decade, I really don't know), but that was a long time ago and contemporary vermiculite does not contain asbestos.

That said, I got my vermiculite free off CraigsList from someone who cleared out all their ancient attic insulation, which clearly dates back to that bygone era previously mentioned (I think there is a spate of such vermiculite concerns in my town of Seattle)...so I wore a full respirator the entire time I was dealing with it, same one I used when jigsawing InsBlock.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

we should protect our eyes firstly, it's the most improtant thing i think
                          One of the best strong power tools supplier

Comment

We were given two eyes so we'd have one for a spare.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

safety glasses are good but goggles are better. I have had many particles slip by safety glasse but have never had to flush out my eye since I purchased goggles

Peter
                              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Thanks for all the useful safety measures..I would like to follow them strictly....And whatever precaution we take Product defects and failure are obviously happens accidently..

Comment

Working...
                                X