Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermiculite prices

KC and all,

I had a very interesting meeting with a refractory supplier yesterday. He deals mainly with companies building furnaces and boilers, but he has also sold into the Italian community to people building their own pizza ovens. The good thing is that it looks like I've finally solved the refractory supply dilemma here in the Toronto/southern Ontario area, because he stocks cal sil board, refractory batt in thicknesses up to four inches, refractory tile, tapered and arch bricks, castable high heat mortar, refractory mortar (dry and premixed). All very cool. We're still working on a pricing structure for the small amounts I would need.

The most interesting part of the meeting came when he introduced me to Matrilite 18, a product I'd never heard about. It's "a lighweight insulating castable designed for general purpose duty at moderate operating temperatures. Common applications include air heaters, combustion chambers of indirectly fired dryers and door linings. Matrilite 18 can also be used as backup for dense refractory furnace roofs, marine and stationary boilers." Well, moderate, for those guys; see below.

The maximum exposed use temperature is 815 C, while the maximum backup use temperature is 982 C (note this is in centigrade). According to him, this product would be a far more efficient insulator than the perlite/vermiculite Portland mix we've all used because Portland reduces the insulating properties of the dry material, and the dry material itself is not that good an insulator by comparison. After heating to 815 C, Matrilite has a thermal conductivity of 1.53 Btu-in/hr-ft 2-F. The cold crush strength after after the same heating is 1080 psi.

The major components are 39 percent CaO and 35 percent Si02. There are much smaller percentages of other materials, none of which means anything to me.

Right now, it looks like a 25 lb bag will cost about $25 CDN, but I'm not sure just yet. This stuff is light, so the bag is large. Seems to me that this would be the perfect material for coating Insulfrax batts or directly on brick. The rep told me that 2 inches of Matrilite would be far better than 4 inches of vermic/Portland.

The US distributor is Allied Mineral Products, 3025 Mineral Loop, Brownsville, Texas, 1-614-878-0244. No doubt there's a website; this is a multinational company.

In Ontario, the dealer is Alphatherm Inc., 8201 Keele Street, Unit 4, Concord, Ontario L4K 1Z4, 1-905-738-0126, Welcome to Alphatherm Inc. - About Us.

I was given a complimentary bag of Matrilite, and I'll be mixing up a small batch in the next few days and report on performance. Of course, I'm in no way connected to any of these companies, and I can only speculate on performance until I've tried it. If it works, it's just in time because I have three and possibly four FB oven installations to do in the coming weeks. I was told that with two inches of batt insulation and two inches of Matrilite, the need for loose material to fill the enclosure would be eliminated. We'll see.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Do you mix the Matrilite with anything? How do you apply it?
      KC

Comment

KC,

Should have included mixing details. Matrilite comes in dry form, with a grain size of 2mm (10 mesh) and finer. The instructions on the bag say 25 pounds should be mixed with 2.9 lbs of potable water (96 percent hydration). The ambient mixing temp should be above 68 F. For optimum consistency, water should be added gradually. Mix time is four minutes. Working time is 30 minutes. The description talks about vibration or gunning the material, so I imagine it would trowel on pretty well. With a half hour open time, smaller batches would be best for one man, unless you're quick.

I'll know better about workablity when I mix some up. I'll post pics. Thinking about retrofitting my heat plug door (the one I use to retain heat overnight) with a two inch thick layer.

The cure procedures look just about the same as the ones we've been using for oven curing. Small increments of heat with cooling in between for max strength. Though this would not apply over batt insulation to the same extent.

Jim
        Last edited by CanuckJim; 07-31-2007, 09:10 AM. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

Thanks Jim,
          I'm very interested in the product. I think if the product works as advertised, it would be a great $ saver.

Comment

Thank you Jim, Defintly touch base with them about my build I hope to do very soon.

Comment

KC, Mr Steel,

Here's a link to the Allied Mineral Products website: Refractories manufacturer and supplier of refractory services - Allied Mineral Products, Inc.. Lots of info on it. Check out the Chicago Brick Division.

Jim

Comment

Jim,
                Thanks for that information. I noticed that they have a branch here in Australia as well:

Asia Pacific Region

Corrosion Engineering Pty Ltd.
                Gary Pearce
                44/159 Ridgecrop Drive Castle Hill
                Sydney,
                New South Wales 2154,
                Australia
                TEL: 612.9634.2839
                FAX: 612.9634.2867

Email: enquiries@corrosionengineering.com.au

I have just contacted them as I need a suitable material to cast up as insulation to put on the back of my cast aluminium oven doors.
                This might just be the material.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Re: Matrilite 18

Jim,

Is the Matrilite 18 similiar to econolite 1600 and other castable concretes? I have an extra bag after casting my vent and I could use this at the apex of the dome for better insulation than straight vermiculite.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                  X