Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

I'm to the point of pouring the insulating perlite concrete on my own Pompeii 42" WFO & will hopefully be on to the floor & dome before long.
    With the wealth of info shared by this group; I'll be able to fabricate my own version of the indispensible tool & continue on. Thanks to all of those who have contributed to this thread.

Comment

With my own 42" Pompeii WFO project under way; I'll be pouring the insulating concrete layer in the next day or so. Once that's done, I'll be needing my own indispensible tool. Thanks to all of the creative submissions to this thread; I'll be able to fabricate my own version of the tool by repurposing some of the miscellaneous saved materials around the workshop.

Comment

Robert,
        Thanks, not nearly that much time, between cuts and welds perhaps half a day. Much shorter if you know how to weld. I don't with any degree of proficiency but I can get two pieces of metal to stick together. The welder you can pick up a HFTools for $150 (Arc Welders - Welding). To start the welds aren't going to be pretty but in my case they did get a bit better as I gained experience, if you are fussy about the look pickup HFT's $19 grinder (you will need it anyways for the cuts) and manage the appearance that way. I am a much better grinder than welder.
        Jim

Comment

Fantastic idea, I changed the base to a rotating castor with the wheel removes

Comment

Send pics!

Comment

Wow! nice work. I hope mine will turn out that nice. Your Id. tool looks like it works great. What method do you use to get your bricks cut at those angles?

Comment

Thanks RR,

Here are a number of my posts that may help on cutting angles and bevels on bricks. The bevels will change with each course, in my oven the angle was 5-degrees on each course except the final two.

First two important definitions:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22689

Then...
                Many folk start by cutting their bricks in half and then making two cuts on the resultant pieces, a total of five cuts per full brick to get their side angles cut. This link illustrates a guide and an approach to do it in three cuts. (in the illustration if the numbers are backwards it means the brick has been flipped)
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22897

Then...
                A chart of how to determine the slope bevel and angle: The chart can be a bit confusing so a quick explanation: Find the slope of the bricks being place on the course you are working on the x-axis (use a protractor to determine slope the one I used is illustrated in the next link (Setting up the bevel cuts)). Once you know your slope go straight up to the curve on the chart. At the point you hit the curve go left to the y-axis to get the required bevel for that course. The 1-14 currently marked on the chart are the numbers on my oven. They may or may not be the same as yours.
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22726

Then...
                Setting up the bevel cuts (using your trusty HFTools saw)
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post23605

Then...
                Creating template for odd cuts
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...html#post22607

Sometimes you just use mortar. This link will allow you to look around the oven, you will note over the front arch where I just went with mortar rather than trying to cut a brick.
                OvenCamHiRes

Holler if you have questions.

Jim

Comment

Nice pics, but if you make 3 cuts to make the angles, don't you have to make 4 more for the bevel? Could one use your plan and do a 3 cut plan with the bevels?

Mike

Comment

Yup as I mention this is just for the angle cuts, as illustrated in the other links, I had to make the bevel cuts separately because the HFTools Wet saw doesn't facilitate compound cuts like that. I tried building a Jig but couldn't arrive at anything that was less work (and as accurate and that didn't run into the saw guides) than the process I have outlined in the other link here.

Thanks,
                    Jim

Comment

• Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Nice pics, but if you make 3 cuts to make the angles, don't you have to make 4 more for the bevel? Could one use your plan and do a 3 cut plan with the bevels?

Mike
                      You could, if by bevel you mean he trapezoid shape the bricks will need to make (for tight seam) as they start to angle inwards. Only limiting factor is the blade of the saw/grinder which may prevent you from making steeper angles.

I basically did with a 230mm grinder what jcg31 is talking about in his picture here.

I roughly calculated the bevel angle by getting the circumference for the base of the chain I was mortaring and then figuring out the circumference for the top. When you know how many bricks you use for that chain (probably same amount that you had in previous), you can calculate the rough width for bottom and top edge of each brick .

Hope that makes any sense.

Comment

So reading other posts, if you start with cutting a brick in half. Then you could make compound cuts to make the angle and the bevel (using the same bevel method). That is still only 5 cuts, Right?

Comment

Right, if you cut the brick in half and then do compound cuts you get 5 cuts.

Here's a quick pic what I meant with getting it done in 3 cuts.

Comment

Yeah, Unfortunately I couldn't get anything to work that didn't hit the guides or the arbor on the HBFtools saw.

Jim

Comment

In your link to an earlier post you have a chart you extracted from a cad tool.

I did the math. I have a spreadsheet, but need to clean it up and document it enough to be useful. Hopefully this spring.
                              My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

Hi group,

i am looking for the indispendable tool the one that got a thin plate (shinny one) center on the hearth floor and that has black foam or rubber on the rod.,
                                I think it's made of stainlees steel. Can't find it, can anyone provide me a link to it??

Marc

Comment

Working...
                                X