Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Great concept. Your biggest challenge (assuming your magnet is strong enough so you aren't constantly having to reconnect to the pivot) will be making certain the pivot stays clean - - it gets pretty grundgy down there.

Jim

Comment

Staying clean is a very good point I have welded the half ball to an old skill saw blade that I had lying around and have attached metal straps to that. The built up module will be removable so I can take it out and give it an acid bath from time to time if it needs it.

I think that tossing a damp rag over the ball area may also help keep the center area clean at least until get to the higher chains.

The magnet is quite strong and difficult to pull off of the ball it will easily stay in place with an attached brick at any angle I move it to. The magnets I have decided to use came from a magnetic Dart board game set. The "Darts" have very strong magnets on the ends with threaded connections.
      Last edited by mrchipster; 07-16-2011, 12:08 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
      Chip

Comment

Chip,
        How did your design work out?

Jim

Nevermind, just found your build. I love the mutiple arm capability!!!
        Last edited by jcg31; 08-27-2011, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
          Chip,
          How did your design work out?

Jim

Nevermind, just found your build. I love the mutiple arm capability!!!
          I have now removed the floor protector and am done with the IT. It worked even better than I expected except for one thing. I used FB mortar and because it is so stiff some of the first few chains a few of bricks the bricks tipped a little because the tool could rotate. I think if I used heatstop this would not have been a problem because it is much softer and the brick joints would have been smaller.

I was very happy with the ability to use two heads at a time this was a great time saver I think. And the ability to make alternate tools and interchange them in a second was a real bonus.
          Chip
          Chip

Comment

I used FB mortar and because it is so stiff some of the first few chains a few of bricks the bricks tipped a little because the tool could rotate
            Interesting observation, Chip. Did the bricks on the first few brick courses tip outwards or sideways?

BTW, I was initially really curious to find out how your magnetic IT was gonna work out and I think you've answered that, elegantly. By far the most advanced innovation in IT design yet. It's cool to see new ideas to ancient problems.
            John
            Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 08-29-2011, 04:39 AM. Reason: Cant spel

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
              Interesting observation, Chip. Did the bricks on the first few brick courses tip outwards or sideways?
              thanks for the complement. The bricks tipped sideways the clamp held them in line the other directions but because the IT could swivel on it's axis the bricks could tip. I was not paying close enough attention to this as I thought that tapping the bricks down on the previous chain would keep them perfectly level... I guess I was wrong.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

I've seen miniature magnetic bubble levels that RV owners can stick to their range hoods. Maybe you can add one of these before you patent your MIT!

Comment

Hi
                  I'm a newbie on here and this is my fourth attempt at a post - all previous attempts have just given me a message that the post is awaiting moderators approval??
                  I love this thread and the opportunities for ingenuity and evolution of ideas the "indispensible tool" offers.
                  While reading this thread and I had been poking around the garage looking for suitable items and had found some old castor wheels but had drawn a blank on how to connect anything to the wheel until I came back and a few posts later saw that tfasz had already solved the problem by cutting off the wheel - simple but brilliant!!
                  One small improvement if I may be so cheeky as to suggest, and perhaps it has already been done - this: the castor wheel axles are always offset from the centre by 1/4" or so. I suggest that rather than reuse the old wheel axle holes, instead new ones should be drilled which can be absolute centre. I have already started on the IT but am still awaiting delivery of a saw!
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi
                      Well at least I managed to put some version of the IT together - heavily borrowed from JCG31 except that I used a wooden (offcut from old oak floorboard) support angle plate and just screwed the plastic grip from the quick release clamp onto the back of the plate so I can slip the clamp on and off easily. The anchor end is an old castor. I can adjust it about a half and inch - this could be better with a longer threaded bolt.
                      Main advantage is that I was able to avoid any need for welding. I used wood as I couldn't find a suitabe metal plate - but I found that with a T-bolt on one side and nut washer for tightening on the other side made attaching the threaded bolt quite simple.
                      The only item I bought was the clamp. I did a quick test on one of the half bricks with the clamp attachaed and it seemed to work OK, Time will tell.
                      Aidan
                      Amac
                      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                        Hi
                        Well at least I managed to put some version of the IT together - heavily borrowed from JCG31 except that I used a wooden (offcut from old oak floorboard) support angle plate and just screwed the plastic grip from the quick release clamp onto the back of the plate so I can slip the clamp on and off easily. The anchor end is an old castor. I can adjust it about a half and inch - this could be better with a longer threaded bolt.
                        Main advantage is that I was able to avoid any need for welding. I used wood as I couldn't find a suitabe metal plate - but I found that with a T-bolt on one side and nut washer for tightening on the other side made attaching the threaded bolt quite simple.
                        The only item I bought was the clamp. I did a quick test on one of the half bricks with the clamp attachaed and it seemed to work OK, Time will tell.
                        Aidan
                        The only thing I see that I might change on your design i is make the angled brick holder block narrower, as your chain height increases the bricks get much narrower at the inside of the oven and the wide brick holder will get in the way.

I cut mine down in width as I moved up because of this narrowing effect.

Chip
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM.
                        Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip I hadn't thought of that - I'll make another smaller replacement plate for the the narrower ones. I guess I can just use the clamp without having it physically attached or use spacers for the smaller cuts.
                          Aidan
                          Amac
                          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Hi
                            Weather is still foul here (maybe I've stumbled on the reason why the outdoor WFO is unknown in these parts) so I am spending an inordinate length of time on the IT. My family think I've lost it a bit. I rebuilt it to make it bit more robust and also to narrow the holding angle plate as suggested by Chipster. I also included hinged boards on three sides to help centre it. Still managed to add a clamp holder by chiselling the back of the brick holder and screwing on a slotted aluminium plate. Apart from the side boards the tool is adjustable for any size from 35" to 42" but it should be easy to add small wedges to make up for bigger ovens. This one is designed for a 39" (19.5 radius). I also added a wooden Marker/pencil holder (pictured). Sooty is not part of the tool BTW Only thing missing is something to set the height consistently as I have noticed many builders have had a dip around the opening arch. Someone has used a laser level. Any other ideas?
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                              Only thing missing is something to set the height consistently as I have noticed many builders have had a dip around the opening arch. Someone has used a laser level. Any other ideas?
                              [IMG][/IMG]

It works
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looks like a 'yes' to me...
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X