Newbie making a pizza oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie making a pizza oven.

I am trying to create a pizza oven out of retaining wall blocks so that it matches the retaining wall it is built into. I was wondering what I could use to line the patio block with instead of firebrick.

Nice concept, I like the look of the paver arch. I think you will be best off building a standard pompeii oven (insulating board, firebrick, insulation) then building an enclosure using your block. For all the work you are going to be putting into an oven you might as well have one that is functional and durable.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Looks like the retaining wall blocks are concrete - sand gravel cement.

Concrete is no good for flames. Every thing in touch with the fire must be made of some sort of fired clay.
      Looks like you've started using real firebricks for the oven itself? The best way to go, in my opinion, is to build an oven in firebrick, line it with insulation then cover it up with retaining wall blocks to hide it.
      Here in Australia, firebrick is uncommon and expensive.
      People on a budget often substitute some other form of fired clay brick.
      Popular are redbrick solids - ordinary house bricks without the weight and material saving holes. These are getting a bit hard to find these days, the house bricks with holes are much more common.
      Pavers for patios and driveways come in two materials over here. You can get concrete ones which are useless, and fired clay ones which work well.

So if you have a source of ordinary clay bricks, you can use them in a pinch.
      I take steps to test them first.
      Some pavers over here are not fired all the way through properly. I heat a cut sample of any brick I'm thinking of using to at least 450 degrees centigrade on a butane stove, let it cool and then drop it on rocks or bricks.and hit it with a hammer. If the sample shatters I consider those bricks unsuitable for an oven.

I don't think I'd like to mix and match clay bricks and fire brick. Might get a heat transfer mismatch.
      Firebrick is best.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. The home owner anted to match everything together, and trying to do it on a budget. I know i need to line those patio block. Was hoping that fireclay or something else would be ggod to line it instead of cutting and doing the friebrick.

Comment

Bauffman,

I can't really tell from the pic. What all do you have under the firebrick floor? I don't see much room for a support hearth and insulation.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I have concrete under it, about 4 inches

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            Bauffman,

I can't really tell from the pic. What all do you have under the firebrick floor? I don't see much room for a support hearth and insulation.

Comment

What about insulation under the firebrick? The floor will take forever to heat up without it, and it will then loose heat very fast. Also, it looks to me like you may be placing your flue inside the cooking chamber. That will be another place for heat loss.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The flue is going to be right behind that row of blocks in the front of the chamber so that the heat circulates. Thought about the heating of the floor, did not know what else to use at the time.

Comment

I know that it is a btch to have to redo, but it would make for a "much better" oven, if you rethink this design.

Comment

Thanks but I ill try to make the best of what is there I think

Comment

I might try to red the top, make it traditional round dome then cover with the patio block. Any help on the floor besides to redo?? And any helpful hints on the dome making would be great

Comment

Sorry Bauffman,
                        I would rather be "online" with your client. I know they want it it on a budget. Don't we all. But, I feel that the homeowner needs to make an informed decision. I'm unsubsribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          Sorry Bauffman,
                          I would rather be "online" with your client. I know they want it it on a budget. Don't we all. But, I feel that the homeowner needs to make an informed decision. I'm unsubsribed.

I totally understand that and i have been telling the homeowner what I am finding and thinking about, they want that look and think it will work. So there for I am trying to keep them happy and make a decent product. Thank you for all of your advice it has helped

Comment

There is nothing wrong with "the look" that your clients want. And, the barrel vault design is ok too, as long as you use firebrick or true clay bricks for the cooking chamber. But, it will need insulation if the homeowners want to truly enjoy the oven. Also, it will require keeping the water out. Those concrete patio block are extremely porous imo.

Comment

Thank you
                              Il Pizzaiolo!! I am trying to make it both!! I will send final pic after I get time to finish it!! I am doing this as a side job, I teach so time this time of year is hard to come by!

Comment

Working...
                              X