Cutting entry arch with IT tool angle grinder attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting entry arch with IT tool angle grinder attachment

While trying to work out a neat way to cut the entry arch to match the inside of the dome I made a attachment for the IT tool to fit a angle grinder to achieve the exact dome inside radius.
    Surprised how easy it worked. Cut all the bricks in no time at all.
    Important to cut from left to right so the disc direction cuts upwards "conventional milling" so the cutting disc does not grab.

Interesting use of a tool on the end of an IT - reminds me of what we called at work an "end effector". I build my arch by adding bricks as I did my rows and would not have wanted to change the grinder in and out, but for those folks that build their arch ahead of the dome it could be quite a time saver - especially if they wanted to have the inside of the arch exactly match the dome ID.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Nice. Very ingenious and creative.
      John

"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"- Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TJB View Post
        While trying to work out a neat way to cut the entry arch to match the inside of the dome I made a attachment for the IT tool to fit a angle grinder to achieve the exact dome inside radius.
        Surprised how easy it worked. Cut all the bricks in no time at all.
        Important to cut from left to right so the disc direction cuts upwards "conventional milling" so the cutting disc does not grab.
        Great work! Nicely done.
        My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Excellent concept. I actually even thought about it myself for about a day on my build before chickining out lol. JR makes a good point "..for those that build their arch ahead of the dome....." A lot of people feel more comfortable building the arch as they proceed up each course. My opinion is that the math doesn't change if the inner arch is placed in the proper position. I personally like building the arch in advance and removing the template after 30 minutes for a proper clean up.

You may be a little far forward with the inner arch. It looks like you may be running out of reveal at the top where your springers will set. The compound curve of the dome will pull inward and away from that point. No biggie even if I'm right since you are dry stacking. You can cut the outer face of the inner arch to match the segmental arch if you have to adjust.
          Last edited by Gulf; 11-05-2020, 07:04 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X