Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option on how to improve my already poured elevated slab

Hi all,

Im building a brick pizza oven. Im an experienced brick layer however, this is my first attempt at constructing a pizza oven. Ive poured my elevated slab (think the correct name is hearth) and it has not turned out the best. Im weighing up my options but was wondering if any of you have some recommendations on what you would do and how you would go about it.

Thanks in advance for any help, i will attach some photos so you can see what it looks like.

Regards,

Ryan

It doesn’t look too bad to me. You have to place or cast some insulation on top of it anyhow. There is an advantage in having a slight slope to the outside so water is discouraged from finding its way under the floor insulation nearer the centre.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

david s thanks for the reply. Yeah it’s not too bad, but I’m wanting to make it better if it’s worth the hassle. I know I’m putting the calcium silicate board on top.

Comment

Calcium silicate board is pretty soft. You can indent it easily with fingernails, so minor roughness of the concrete wouldn’t be a problem.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by rsshellim View Post
          Hi all,

Im building a brick pizza oven. Im an experienced brick layer however, this is my first attempt at constructing a pizza oven. Ive poured my elevated slab (think the correct name is hearth) and it has not turned out the best. Im weighing up my options but was wondering if any of you have some recommendations on what you would do and how you would go about it.

Thanks in advance for any help, i will attach some photos so you can see what it looks like.

Regards,

Ryan
          That will be absolutely fine Ryan!
          Once you add insulation and level that up, no-one will know but you!
          Kind regards,
          Mark
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

MarkJerling

Thanks Mark.

My understanding is the insulation would be only under the pizza oven itself so all the surrounding area (the edges around the dome) would be finished as they are in the photo.

Are you suggesting that I should cover the entire hearth with some type of insulation.

Regards,
            Ryan

Comment

Hi Ryan

Most people tend to cover the concrete slab with something, whether that be tiles or granite etc. If you're keen to have a finished concrete surface, then I would suggest a self leveling screed of some description.

Most people will only insulate as far as the outside of the oven walls. In my case, yes, I insulated further as I was keen to have the whole surrounding flat area at the same level as the oven floor, but most people don't do that.

Regards,
              Mark
              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

So an additional issue has come up. Fortunately the top of the slab that I was concerned about looks good. Decided to not add anything to it. However, when I took my box out the edges look very rough. What do you guys recommend? Anyway to salvage it? Or do you think I should just render/tile?

Comment

That's a fairly common sight when taking off the hearth slab form. My edges looked very similar but I just applied my thinset and set my tiles over it (and the CMU blocks). No issues have developed in the 12 years that it's been in place. Relax & have an adult beverage to celebrate moving on to the next steps.
                  Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                  Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                  Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                  Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X