Recycling Bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling Bricks

I may have an opportunity to get some salvaged bricks for use in making a wood-fired oven some time in the future. The brick is from a pottery kiln which is fired to 2,000 degrees. Is this the same sort of brick that would be used for a bread oven, and do I have to worry about any contaminents that would make the bricks unsafe for use in baking?

Also, as a kind of two for one question: how many bricks will I need. I know there are a couple of different sized ovens and I'm not sure what I will finally build, so give me a high end estimate.

Thanks for your help.

TJ

Re: Recycling Bricks

TJ,

I'm using recycled firebrick and insulating firebrick from a pottery kiln operation (school). I am putting the cut face in the dome so almost all the brick is buried in the mortar and the cladding. Any residual glaze from the pottery firings is enclosed. Contaminants of concern would be heavy metals used to create colors in the glazes. I'm not concerned though.

That said I did buy nice new firebrick for the floor and entry arch...75 blocks.

Total number of bricks varies by builder but if you could easily have 250 bricks....take a look at the materials list at the back of the plans.
    Last edited by SpringJim; 06-30-2008, 04:12 AM.
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Most modern kilns use a light weight insulating firebrick. These won't do for the inside of the oven, although they can be used for insulation under the floor.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David, I was able to get enough actual firebrick for the dome from the floors of a kiln and other misc firebrick used in the firing process.

The insulating firebrick is distinctively different (weight) and was used as a layer under my hearth. I'm also going to use it over the dome. Both these applications will sandwich with the perlite mixture.
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
        X