Cutting refractory bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting refractory bricks

This thing is growing into a financial monster! Have just had a quote to hire a bench brick cutter for the weekend for ?50 plus ?11.50 per mm on diamond saw. Advised to buy blade for ?150 because I will be cutting so many bricks (120). Any advice out there as to cutting? What should I do? Abandon the project and have another glass of sauvignon or keep going and drink the whole bottle. That way I wont worry about the cost! Oh, the firebricks and vermiculite have just arrived.........
    Shepster

Re: Cutting refractory bricks

I just finished cutting my fire bricks. I used a Dewalt 14" cut-off saw with a masonry blade. I think I paid $12 for it. I don't know if I made 120 cuts, but it's still in good shape, and made pretty nice cuts. Depending on the cut, I also used a masonry chisel and hammer, and the hammer alone.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance but what is a cut off saw? Is it like a mitre saw? Is it designed for wood and you used it for brick? Ive got one of those and I assume you are saying that i could put a masonary blade in it .................its only a cheap one from B&Q (like your home depot) so I dont mind experimenting.
      Thanks
      Shepster in sunny UK

Comment

The destination is the journey ...do it yourself. Use your mitre saw with a masonry blade. Wear your mask. you can keep a little water on the blade if your careful to keep it out of the motor ...best if done on a GFI

Best case scenario: pride with Beer and Pizza
        Worst case scenario: you screw it up waist a few bricks then hire the mason drink beer and eat pizza
        sigpic

Comment

Your diamond saw rental offer is a rip-off. The charge for blade wear is the key. Sintered diamonds have become so cheap, that the blades have become use-and-toss items.

If you can't find an affordable wet saw, you can do a score and break number with a diamond saw on an angle grinder.

Cheap Chinese ones are only a few bucks here, and the blades are similarly priced. Use a diamond blade, not those abrasive things that smell like something died when you use them. 4.5 inch is the size I bought.

When cutting dry remember: Protect your lungs! Protect your eyes!
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ah...good advice.... I've got one of those! Just off to get the blade......
            Shepster

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              Protect your eyes!
              I'd like to second that. Eye protection is an absolute must. I wore protective eyewear, and still got a small piece of concrete in my eye when grinding away the edge of a concrete block. (Just needed aggressive flushing, I'm OK). I wouldn't skimp on investing in good eye wear and a mask.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Shepster, I hired a monster (electric) angle grinder from Jewsons for a very reasonable rate, and had to buy the sintered disc for ?18 ($36US). The disc is still in excellent condition.

The cutter was a Bosch - a larger version of the tiddler it sounds like you have.

Comment

The 'cutoff' saw I used is for cutting metal, lintels, rebar, & such. It has a 14" blade, and I got a masonry blade for it. Similar to this

FREE SHIPPING — DEWALT Chop Saw with Keyless Blade Change System — 14in., Model# D28715 | Chop Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

I also used a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade for tough cuts.

Comment

Hi All,
                    I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to my question but how long does it take (on average) to cut through a standrd sized firebrick using a brick saw? I'm trying to work out if I need to hire a saw for more than a day or not! I'm building a slightly smaller Pompeii oven than in the plans.
                    Cheerio,
                    Mark CH

Comment

If you are just cutting the brick in half, and they are stacked close to the saw - less than 10 seconds. This includes picking them up, cutting them, and setting them back down. Firebrick is the quickest product I have had to cut.

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

A ten inch wet saw with a smooth tile cutting diamond blade will cut through a brick in less than a minute. The problem is with all the special cuts you may want for your entry transition, door arch, etc. The more advance planning you do, the more likely you will be to get the job done in a short time frame.

Beware of rental places that hit you with a wear charge for diamond blades: it's a scam. Buy your own diamond blade and demand they take theirs off before you take delivery. An import diamond blade is almost always less then their minimum charge for blade wear.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

soaking the bricks in h2o prior to cutting reduces heat, conserves the blade and makes the job a helluva lot easier. I use my old makita mitre saw for steel and brick since I bought a new compound mitre saw.

Comment

Re: Cutting refractory bricks-45 degree cut one pass

Can you make a 45 degree cut on the 9" demision of a fire brick in one pass
                            with the Chicago 10" brick/tile saw. The fire bricks are 2-3/8" high, yet I run into the lock knob on the blade guard. If the brick is reversed, I still don't make a complete cut and have to knock it off with a chisel. I've raised the blade guard, but that doesn't seem to help.

Comment

Here is what it looks like...

QUICKTIME MOVIE:http://hypertec.com/CIMG1790.MOV

MPEG MOVIE:http://hypertec.com/CIMG1790.MP4
                              Last edited by toddj; 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X