Who's made their own pizza tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's made their own pizza tools

I have been looking on the net at prices for oven tools and they are a bit pricey for my liking (well I'm just tight) and figured they can't be that hard to make, after all a peel or a turing peel is just a bit of sheet metal bolted to a pole.

I am interest to see who has made their own tools and how, post up pics and show off a little too if you want

Cheers
    James
    Real men cook with fire
    My Oven and Fireplace Build

Re: Who's made their own pizza tools

James - this stuff was made from aluminum (for the most part). The handles are EMT pipe from HD or Lowes. My shovel and rake was a "pooper scooper" from Pet Smart. Probably the hardest to fab were the handles - I don't like the router blade that close to my digits

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Nice tools Les! Do you worry at all about the aluminum oxidizing outside or do you bring them in when not in use? For handles, did you sandwich the aluminum with the wood all the way down?

btw, a suggestion for routing. Take 1 long piece, those look like 3/4"x1 1/2" I'm guessing, and route the edges first. Then cut them each to size, nip of the corners on one end and rub the ends on the table router. This gives you plenty of distance.

I'm a big time wood man and this thread has got me thinking of different pizza toys I could build.. nice..
      Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

I bought one of these for when the tools will be out for an extended amount of time (with no use) or winter weather. To make the handles I glued two pieces of oak (3/4 inch) together - ripped them into 1 1/2 inches square. Cut them to length, ran them through the table saw for the center Cerf (sp?), then the router for the bevel. After that, I ran a drill down the center and locked the handles to the steel with Gorilla glue. Seems like a lot of work but, when it's so cold your beer freezes, and you are done with every other chore - go to the shop and play.

Les...
        Last edited by Les; 06-12-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

nice work. I was initially only thinking of metal peels and did'nt even think of making wooden peels. This oven is going to keep me busy for a while yet
          Real men cook with fire
          My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Hi Shay!

Aluminum is, for all practical purposes, always oxidized. It is one of the most reactive metals and oxidizes very rapidly to form a tight, hard oxide. Alumimum can be left outside for years without effect so long as it isn't in contact with acid (including tomator sauce or vinegar or potentially acid rain which could cause pitting or worse) or in contact with another metal (which will cause galvanic corrosion). This latter issue makes it important to not use things like steel or iron screws to assemble aluminum utensils.

PS. I saw your comment on winter ovens. Those of us in Texas LOVE to do pizza in the winter. It is the summer we dread!
            Jay

Comment

Cool. I am a wood guy not a metal guy so had no idea.. BUT, I know a guy...
              Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Shay,

I got peels from American metalcraft, commercial food service supplier... they have a whole pizza line, nice long handles available and reasonably priced. I bought the small one and cut it into an 8' circle and bought a med one for loading. They have brushes too

Peter
                Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I'm building a 36" WFO with an 18 inch entry-way.
                  Any opinions on the optimum length for my peels?
                  I want them to be long enough, but not so long that I'll be crashing into everything.
                  Toby

Comment

Toby - I have a 42 inch interior with about 32 inches of entry / counter. My tools are cut to 54 inches and work quite well. I guess you can scale from there.

Les,,,

Comment

Thanks, based on that I should be good in the 40 inch range.
                      Toby

Comment

Hi Toby!

I think the most useful tool for those of us who have one is a round 8-9 inch "turner" paddle. That should be a bit longer for you want to be able to use it two handed (one hand holding the shaft up front and the other hand twisting the shaft to lift and turn. You probably also want a longer shaft on your big peel if you make one so you can use two hands also. One hand is enough for putting the pie in the oven so a shorter handle is no problem. Two hands probably need more than 40 inches.

Good Luck!
                        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by texassourdough View Post
                          Hi Toby!

I think the most useful tool for those of us who have one is a round 8-9 inch "turner" paddle. That should be a bit longer for you want to be able to use it two handed (one hand holding the shaft up front and the other hand twisting the shaft to lift and turn. You probably also want a longer shaft on your big peel if you make one so you can use two hands also. One hand is enough for putting the pie in the oven so a shorter handle is no problem. Two hands probably need more than 40 inches.

Good Luck!
                          Jay

Thanks Jay! I was thinking about the longer peels, but I didn't want to go crazy.
                          Toby

Comment

Here's my pizza peel made from thin marine plywood with an ebony/ purnambuco handle - it's short because I only use it with my domestic wood fired oven/ pizza stone. It doubles as a sign which I hang on my front door whenever friends come over for pizza!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizzeria.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	275626
                            My rustic oven;
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
                            sigpic

Comment

Here is a pic of a couple of my homemade tools. I made a wood peel out of a piece of 1X12 pine (I glued an additional 1X6 to get it to 16" width). and my pizza cutter which I made from a scrap piece of 1/16" stainless steel, and a couple scraps from my brazillian maple flooring. I have been using both for around 3 years now.
                              Eddie

Comment

Working...
                              X