Brick and Block cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick and Block cutter

I would really like a wet saw for my oven project but I just cant afford one right now. I have a skil saw w/mason diamond blade already, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a brick cutter such as this one: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    It seems like it would be difficult to get accurate cuts with, but for that price I'm willing to learn how to use it with some success.

Re: Brick and Block cutter

I bought one when I was planning to make my oven out of half bricks figuring it would be a good fast easy way to chop them in half and then just use the factory side on the inside. For that purpose it would work well, but the cut it makes is VERY rough, nothing you could use for a finished surface no matter how much you plan to chip away at it. Since I ended up using 1/3 bricks for my oven, it went un-used.

Comment

This one from harbor freight says you can cut angles with it. I think I'll try it. I've got plenty of crapy used bricks to practice on. If I can't get any good with it I'll just have to use the skil saw.

Comment

I should have been more specific. I have that exact one from harbor freight.

Comment

I see. Well now we both do!

Comment

Check out Lars posts. I believe all of his bricks were cut by hand.

Comment

Ok, I'll check them out now. So far that tool really sucks though. You weren't kidding about "rough". OUCH!

Comment

So far that tool really sucks though.
                Don't feel bad, using a brick set is a super-skill, like cutting glass. I've never been able to avoid making a mess of either one.

Think of all the stress you'll be saving your muscles and tendons.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                  Think of all the stress you'll be saving your muscles and tendons.
                  I guess thats assuming I don't use the tool? Yes I already have enough aches and pains, I don't need another excuse for some more. I will probly stick with my handy skil saw. I've done a fair share of brick cutting already and it's still working. For now...

Comment

I will probly stick with my handy skil saw
                    As in all dry masonry cutting, protect your lungs. That dust is not good for you.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks, I will.

Comment

Here is a video using a similar tool from another manufacturer.
                        YouTube - blockcut1's Channel
                        There are 2 other videos on you tube by the same poster cutting other types of brick.

Comment

Thanks for the link! It was really helpful. I'm going to practice some more with it now.

Comment

Working...
                          X