X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrgweeto
    replied
    Re: Using Caputo Tipo 00 Flour

I have been using Heckers All Purpose flour in place of an imported 00 pizza flour with great results. I was given imported 00 flour from an Italian importer and restaurant owner and it was indeed very light and silky. By using the dough recipe listed on the FB site and substituting the Heckers All Purpose in place of the 00 I got a dough that was equally light and velvety and also responded very well. I used 2 tsps of salt and 5/8 - 3/4 of yeast instead of the 1/2. I don't mix the dough as long as the recipe calls for and I use plastic wrap instead of a damp cloth and have found it is just as good if not better. Once the dough is proofed, cut into the portions we planned for and put aside to relax, we find that all we do is place it on a floured board and it practically forms itself. We just rotate it on the board while slightly stretching it to 16"-18", put it on our peel and then into the oven.
    Like everything we eat and drink everyones tastes are different and suited for that individual. I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone that hasn't tried this already.
    Enjoy,
    G

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Using Tipo 00 Flour

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    Frances,

Have a look at their product range at: FARINE CAPUTO . Looks to me like Farina Integrale or Super Giallo might be the ticket for you. By the way, there's white flour, then there's white flour (really beige). I never use bleached or bromated flours, but then again I buy my flour in bulk from Prairie Mills in Saskatchewan. Often, I'll combine it with stone ground, organic real whole wheat flour that hasn't been coloured or messed with. Sometime, I'd like to find out just why supermarket bags of flour don't have to have more information on what's actually been done to the flour, what additives, beyond mandated vitamins and iron that is. That, and a mill date, so customers know how fresh it is.

Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Checked out the site, looks really good. Now all I have to do is find out if I can get hold of any Caputo Farina Integrale... and some white to mix. I'd really love to try that out sometime.

It is very confusing all the different flours different countries have and what they're all called. Clearer declarations would be a very good thing. I recently googled my favoured flour and found its actually a kind regional speciality, which doesn't have a name in any other language (apparently). Around here its just regular flour, something inbetween wholemeal and white.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
    Last year corn prices were high and that lured a lot of acres into corn, therefore less wheat. I'm expecting more acres back in wheat and soybeans this year.
    I don't know about CA, but here in TX to many are driving pickups (i.e 15 mpg) with only one passenger. Europe seems to have figured this out a while back. Maybe there high tax set the move.
    Hey RC!

I love my Excursion!

Although, I should probably have something smaller to drive around town.

It can take 2 days to get out of Texas driving!!!

And with 5 kids at home and a Travel Trailer I need my big wheels!!

You are right about the corn, and I bet you are too about the higher taxes!

Did you get to the keystone today?

Dave

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by james View Post
    I heard an interesting report on NPR, where grain prices are now tied to energy prices. Grain as fuel is changing everything, and driving up prices.

Hmmm.

James
    Last year corn prices were high and that lured a lot of acres into corn, therefore less wheat. I'm expecting more acres back in wheat and soybeans this year.
    I don't know about CA, but here in TX to many are driving pickups (i.e 15 mpg) with only one passenger. Europe seems to have figured this out a while back. Maybe there high tax set the move.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

James,

Agreed wholeheartedly. One use and you're finished for anything else.

Jim
    Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM. Reason: typoos aggaaain

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

I heard an interesting report on NPR, where grain prices are now tied to energy prices. Grain as fuel is changing everything, and driving up prices.

Hmmm.

The Caputo story is a good one. Italian Tipo 00 flour is a finely milled flour, that is available in a range of strengths -- from lightweight pastry flour on up. Caputo has made itself into an international brand by focusing their energy on Tipo 00 flour formulated specifically for pizza. They've been doing it for three generations, and the current Antimo Caputo, who is named after his grandfather, is the head of the company, along with other family members. They are the main supplier of flour to pizzerias in Naples, and they now have a growing export business for Italian pizzerias around the world -- and for us enthusiastic homeowners.

It's great stuff. Work with the dough once, and you can never go back. :-)

James

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by jeff View Post
    Caught with me pants down there, eh. Glad I'd just washed.
    It can't be the genetics, 'cause the best wheat in the world is grown to the S of us. (Bloody liars! More to the west. Struth!)
    Jeff the Ignorant.
    I not sure about that, I grow Hard Red Spring wheat in North Dakota and it is now above $19 a bushel, last year it probably was aroung $5. So the market must think it's the best or at least in low supply at this time. Like usually I sold way to early.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Frances,

Have a look at their product range at: FARINE CAPUTO . Looks to me like Farina Integrale or Super Giallo might be the ticket for you. By the way, there's white flour, then there's white flour (really beige). I never use bleached or bromated flours, but then again I buy my flour in bulk from Prairie Mills in Saskatchewan. Often, I'll combine it with stone ground, organic real whole wheat flour that hasn't been coloured or messed with. Sometime, I'd like to find out just why supermarket bags of flour don't have to have more information on what's actually been done to the flour, what additives, beyond mandated vitamins and iron that is. That, and a mill date, so customers know how fresh it is.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Jeff, could it possibly be that you have a lot of time on your hands today...? Either that or you want to bump your rating up.

I don't know, politics, metric measurements (again...), what next??

Still the Caputo 00 question was interesting, I hadn't realised it was such a special product.

Jim, do you know, does it come in wholemeal quality at all? I don't really like using white flour, but you got me interested now

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

CJim,
    Nothing quite like airing one's ignorance on a public forum, eh. (Flamin Luddites: no couth, I reckon).
    Jim, I suppose I could lift a finger and google Caputo Tipo 00 flour, and see if they have Aust. outlets.
    Meanwhile, thanks for your continuing instruction. I'd die and go to heaven if I could knock out loaves like yours.
    Same applies to Deadly Dave's pizza bases. (That man is truly wicked).
    All made possible c/- James.
    Thanks to all of you Mad Mob. It continues to be an insane, europhoric ride.
    Stay safe eh.
    Luddite Jeff.

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

Archena,
    While I'm on a roll, may I ask why you link metrics with evil? I stand in the shadows. Please, convince me.
    Are you old and wrinkly like me, Archena? And your pussy: Burmese style, by the image. Looks a tad undernourished.
    Mate I stand 5'8'', and weigh almost 12 stone. That translates roughly to 173cm and 75kg. (correct me if I'm wrong).
    So what do I do? Remain in the rarefied air of Imperial measurements, or take a leap into the modern dimension of metrics?
    Or does it not matter?
    Shall respect your advice.
    Jeff.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Jeff,

James would be able to explain better because he knows the Caputo family and has been to the mill. However, as I understand it, Caputo Tipo 00 flour, or any of their flours for that matter, are blended from different strains of wheat from around the world. They treat it as vintners do. Much of the world's Durham wheat is grown in southwestern Saskatchewan and North Dakota. Saskatchewan red winter wheat is known for its high protein content or hardness, as opposed to spring wheat from the same location. European flours, by contrast, have a tendencey to be softer, with a lower protein count, due, I guess, to the milder climate. What the proportions are, even of flour from the Land of OZ , no doubt, is a Caputo trade secret. Point is Tipo 00 pizza flour is the best out there for making pizzas, especially when it comes to shaping and rise in a WFO.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

Question is, what makes Tipo 00 flour so different?
    It can't be the genetics, 'cause the best wheat in the world is grown to the S of us. (Bloody liars! More to the west. Struth!)
    Hence it must be the processing. I'll concede that stone ground may damage protein less than standard milling techniques, of which I know nothing.

Anyone care to flicker the candle flame of Knowledge into the Luddite's lair?
    Thanks eh,
    Jeff the Ignorant.

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

Question is, what makes Tipo 00 flour so different?
    Hence it must be the processing. I'll concede that stone ground may damage protein less than standard milling techniques, of which I know nothing.

Anyone care to flicker the candle flame of Knowledge into the Luddite's lair?
    Thanks eh,
    Jeff the Ignorant.

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

Crikey dmun,
    The things one can dredge up, eh.
    Talk about a blast from the past. Now I know why you arc up re systems of measurement.
    Ironic as it may seem, I'm listening to the radio, and they're replaying conversations from "The Eagle has Landed", complete with Armstrong's errant announcement.
    Mate is it true that all of your folding money is of a single colour?
    Tell me it's all Saudi propaganda, please.
    Dmun, love your country, technology, and (probably) your people.
    But you fellers need to take a very serious look around, eh.
    Cheers without malice Damon.
    Luddite Jeff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X