X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caputo flour weight?

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I'm confused by these numbers. Your scale cannot be off by that factor.
    I read this three times before I understood it. My bad. The EMPTY bag weighs 8.2 grams, I should have said.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: caputo flour report

Aww, takes me right back to chemlab. I really should have a better scale. Ours is digital but only measures in 5g increments. Fine for flour and water (I place the entire mixing bowl on the scale and zero it, then add flour until my 500 or 1000g target, then 650 or 325g of water), but useless for salt and yeast. I really ought to go back to a volume measurement for salt because of the lack of precision when measuring 10g at a time. I drizzle the salt on until it just tilts over to 10g and assume that's pretty close (but if I go over I have no idea how far over I am). A nice balance like Dave's would be perfect.

Dave, You're really going to need a refrigerated counter space for your dough right next to the oven, large bull nosed granite slab countertop just like the pazzo pizzaiolo.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        <snip> This is the scale that I'm using at the moment. <snip>
        Definitely the 'old school' look.

J W

Comment

Originally posted by maver View Post
          You're really going to need a refrigerated counter space for your dough right next to the oven, large bull nosed granite slab countertop just like the pazzo pizzaiolo.
          Here's the ticket:

Think it'd work outdoors?
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I have the same problem with the 5g increments as Maver. I just dribble the salt and yeast into the container until it just barely holds at 10g. I've made some pretty nice dough that way but also wish I could be more accurate. I have one of those triple beam scales that I use in my winemaking but never remember to get it out. I forget how much technology I have, ready to mobilize for better pizza making projects.
            Mike
            "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

I have my share of Ludite moments, but I think pizza and bread dough are one of the areas where you need to stay modern. My Escali scale is perfect and it isn't expensive.

Maybe we should add the Escali to the FB Store. If Mike, Mark and David each buy one, that's three already. :-) What do you think.

On a somewhat related topic, I used to like older cars, and even drove an MGB (the one with chrome bumbers). It was great. But with all the technology advances around clean burning engines and better MPG, sometimes newer is better.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I use this scale http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=4337
                It goes up to 6 lbs/3000g and measures in 1g or .1oz increments.

I think I should have bought the cheaper one
                http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...jsp?id=4319RED beacuase it goes to 11 lbs. I sometimes max out the 6lb when making big batches of bread.

The one I own has a special feature that lets you convert/measure cups or tsps. You type in the number of what you are measuring based on a chart and it converts for you...I really never use that feature...

Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

What model of Escali Scale might you carry? I think it would be an excellente addition to the FB store.

You could put me on the list for one but based on my good but inconsistent dough results, I think I'll be going out this weekend to buy a scale!!!

As for me, my 63 Triumph remains my preferred daily driver! I thought nothing modern could come close to replacing it until I a friend gave me the oppurtunity to drive his Honda S2000 like I stole it. Can't stop progress.

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

Count me in, guess that makes 5.
                    I'm in the same boat as Christo. Very good crust, but a little different each time. Just not getting the hydration spot on every time.

Comment

Here is the scale. It's called the Escali Primo, in Chrome. I will contact their rep again, and let you know when we have them in inventory and in the store. On this type of item, we just charge the retail price, and we get a discount from the producer.

More to come.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One more thing. I find that baking in grams really helps. Everything is based on percentage of 100, which is so easy to follow. When you are making a lot of bread, speed counts.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'm a newbie to this forum and just wanted to thank everyone for the information I was able to pick up regarding the use of this flour.

I have a 25kg bag on the way and am certain this information will lend to great results.
                          Last edited by anthony2173; 10-14-2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Could my tap water in new york or my, humidity in air have anything to do with my caputo flour not coming out well. was very sticky couldnt really work with it needed to add flour to nead

Comment

With all else being equal, what's the harm in going higher in hydration? Suppose going to 70% as opposed to 65%, and that the flour holds ok. Provided one is happy with the handling, stretch, dryness (or lack of) etc,, then what difference will merely higher hydration make on the baked pizza? What's the breakdown point in % difference? In other words, is a difference of 5% more or less a lot? If not, when does it make a difference? At 6%? 7%? How delicate is a % difference?
                              Does a higher hydration at first only affect one's ability to handle a wet dough? I understand that a finer flour has a higher absorption rate over heavier flours, but that aside, just what harm - if any - comes from over hydration?
                              I have been using KA AP @ 68% and it handles great. The baked results aren't so bad either, without being a 00. I have wondered if I could go higher and what difference it would make in the oven and on the plate. Mind you, I am not going to stay with KA AP, but it's what I have been able to get for a while. I have yet to try Caputo Rosso (just got a 2.2# today from the local fish shop. They also carry the blue.) I have used Delverde and Bel Aria but I cannot remember what my hydration % was.

This is one brilliant site! My thanks to all the enthusiasm, to James' travels and apparent intense devotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                                I currently retard my dough in refrigerator for a day. Is they're a maximum number od adys you can keep it in the fridge? Would like to able to store for 3 days (or more) rather than freezing.
                                I typically make a 65% dough using 1 kg flour once a week. Some ends up as pizza, the rest becomes baguette, boule or whatever. Holds fine for up to a week. It would probably keep longer but ours is always used up within a week.

Originally posted by Burntroof ofmouth View Post
                                Could my tap water in new york or my, humidity in air have anything to do with my caputo flour not coming out well. was very sticky couldn't really work with it needed to add flour to knead
                                Ambient humidity, temperature and the moisture content of a given batch of flour all play a role. Generally better to undershoot your water adding more as needed to obtain your desired texture.

Comment

Working...
                                X