Austrailian Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrailian Pizza

I have heard that one of the most popular toppings on a pizza in Austrailia is an egg.

Would some Austrailians mind replying, and filling me in on what kind of pizza would be made with an egg on top? Is just isn't done in the US.

I can envision a pizza with anchovies and an egg, although definately not parmesan or ramano cheese with that as that might get too salty.

Re: Austrailian Pizza

I can't speak on behalf of all Australians but egg on a pizza here is uncommon - particulaly in Western Australia. Don't think I've seen it offered on a single pizza menu here. Never made one either.
    / Rossco

Comment

Ive never seen egg on pizza.

Another one of them urban myths about Oz?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	aussie pizza.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	283629

Hope the quality is readable attached is menu from local pizza shop La Madrina in Manly Brisbane Australia.
        If not to clear, the 4th down on left reads.....

AUSSIE
        Tomato sauce,mozzarella cheese, ham,bacon & egg

How to make it ( yes I delivered pizza when we were young had 2 small kids and no money)

Tomato sauce on base cover with chopped ham and bacon. Break egg into your cupped hand over the pizza let the egg sorta run through your fingers so you get seperate runs of the yolk and white that settle in the bacon and ham. You cover the lot with shredded cheese so it protects the egg...bake to perfection...YUM..ooooooo.......
        Definitly know this pizza is common in NSW and QLD.

regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The only egg on a pizza I have seen is a breaky pizza. Tomato base, bacon, mushrooms and cheese. About 30 - 45 seconds before you finsh the pizza, take it out and crack an egg in the centre and throw it back in to finsh it off.

Comment

So its an omelet with a pizza crust..... and who says Ozzies have no taste....
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i had a pizza back in april from a pizza shop in coober pedy a house special that had everything on it including an egg cracked on the center wasnt too bad

Comment

I did a pizza (second firing of oven) with italian ham, asparagus and an egg in the middle, it was brilliant. This is something I had once in a UK restaurant and our own was better.
                Where can I find logs? I need more!
                Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

My first egg pizza was in a little Creperie in Victoria BC. It was a bit like a scrambled egg topped pizza with a very thin "Tyrolean" bacon. It was delicious. The chef said that they took a long time finding the balance of time and temperature to get it right. It always stuck with me. I am posting a couple of articles on Pizza Quest in the next week or two about doing a couple of Breakfast Pizzas for my wife for Mother's Day.

While filming at Pizzeria Mozza, Nancy Silverton served an amazing pizza with a runny yolk that she broke and spread around the pizza before serving. The pizza has an Egg, Bacon, Yukon Gold Tomatoes and Bermuda Onions!

Check out my attempts on the website and let me know what else you come up with.

Brad

Comment

Mozza Egg Pizza

Here is a photo Nancy's egg pizza. Delicious.

Comment

An egg on a pizza is very common in France. It takes a bit of doing to do. You can't put it on before you slide the pizza in, or it will just fly. If you ladle it on once the pizza is placed, it tends to be raw by the time the pizza is done at WFO temperatures. The trick is to use a small egg (sold as medium in the US) and to have it at room temperature before you put it on.

That said, it's not one of my favorite toppings.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the advice on how to get the egg to cook. I've played with that a bit and this seems like good advice. In my upcoming post, I did a fried egg pizza. I took the egg and fried it part of the way - just enough to set the bottom was the idea. I flipped it to make sure it cooked enough in my home oven and it went a little further than I wanted, but was an interesting experiment. Will your idea of using a smaller egg at room temperature work in a home oven at 550 degrees?

Brad

Comment

Will your idea of using a smaller egg at room temperature work in a home oven at 550 degrees?
                          At the low temperatures you shouldn't have trouble with a normal sized egg. Should work fine.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi wotavidone and welcome aboard,
                            I have added you to the ever growing list of Aussies around here contributing.
                            Where abouts in SA are you located, Adelaide metro or country?

A very popular pizza in my group of friends was a 4 Seasons with egg and anchovies. Can't remember for sure what was on it, but I think it had, at least, tomato puree, ham, cheese, little green champignon mushrooms, sliced black olives, sliced chilli, pineapple pieces, anchovies and an egg cracked over the top.
                            little green champignon mushrooms, doesn't sound real flash to me, a little sus!
                            The rest of the pizza sounds appetising and no wonder it was popular.

Cheers.

Neill
                            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                            Neill’s kitchen underway
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Wotavidone,
                              there is another forum member also at Port Pirie, "Dickydiedoe" (Richard) who you might contact and liase with for ideas.
                              I use to deliver firewood for starting the blast furnaces after relining in the late 1960's, in fact got mt truck licence then. My mate from Wirabarra supplied the smelters with thousands of tons of firewood for well over 40years, so we know it well.

Cheers.

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                              X