X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Sauce Recipes

I use passata/sugo
    its just crushed tomatoes and salt slightly cooked and jarred and add oregano to the pizza.

to me its perfect just like in Naples

Comment

as a chef it seems that you have more going on than a typical pallete can handle. not to say i dont like your recipie it just wont work at wfo temps. loose the sugars ie honey and or brown sugar they will not tolerate the wfo temps especially honey. rock candy is made at 375 with sugars. anything beyond that produces very bitter flavors in sugar. vinegar also becomes bitter after about 2 min at 400 so refrain from the acid. tomatoes have plenty stable acidic compounds. when adding tomatoe paste to anything it has to be cooked first in a saute pan on high heat. the nature of paste is a reduction via slow evaporation in a factory. realistically it looks cooked but is really just raw tomatoe sludge, cook it fist then add to mix. try 'browning' it in a nonstick for a couple minutes then use it. flavor wil be more tomatoey and richer. no need though. try this...1 can san marzano 1 small clove garlic mashed 1/4 cup basil salt pepper in a food proccessor 2 minutes spoon souppy like sauce thin on dough the top with mozz. water in sauce steams off in oven cooking top of dough and bottom is crispy. simpler is always best. the kitchen sink aproach is great for chillies and stews but not sauces.

Comment

Gudday All
        Yes I'm the same.... keep it simple.. tomatoe, sugar, salt fresh bassil at the last min.
        One thing I did notice when the sieve disappeared for a while in the depths of the tupperware drawer is the importance of sieving out those seeds. It was a little bitter.. not much so but you did notice the difference

Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I posted this recipe that I got from a small Pizzeria/Italian Market in NJ called Mossuto's. It is a fantastic sauce for a variety of pizza.

Here's the link to the sauce/pizza I made:

Mossuto's Fat Lip Pizza

I also recently adapted this sauce for a desert inspired pizza using pickled cactus instead of the peppers and it turned out amazing!

Link for the Hwy 15 Pizza:
          The Hwy 15 Pizza

I'd love to see if anyone comes up with any more variations, or does something similar. The sauce is good as a drizzle after cooking as well.

Brad English

Comment

I've been baking pizza for a few years, and completed my Pompei WFO build recently--two firings so far for pizza.
            Regarding sauce, here's my experience:
            When I first began, it was recommended to me to use Cento San Marzano Passata. It worked fine, right out of the bottle.
            Now, I grow my own San Marzanos. I began (when using my indoor oven) to freeze my sauce. First, I run the tomatoes thru a sauce machine, the screw type, such as a "Squeezo" brand.
            I'm not one for slaving hours over sauce to reduce it, so I add wine. Alcohol absorbs water, then it cooks off, leaving a great flavor behind. I add 1 cup of Chablis to a large skillet of tomatoes, and some freshly ground oregano. It reduces in less than an hour. I imagine almost any wine would work and contriburte flavor, but I haven't personally tried it. Then I freeze it in plastic containers. Once frozen, I transfer to vacuum bags for longer term storage. Before defrosting, I transfer back in to plastic containers.

Now that my WFO is online, I simply sauce the fresh tomatoes and freeze in containers, and transfer to vacuum bags once frozen. I don't add the wine and I don't cook it. In my experience, the water tends to rise to the top when the sauce is frozen. So, before thawing, I run the sauce under tap water to eliminate the frozen water on top, and then defrost it. Works great, applied raw to the dough.

In season, I simply crush fresh tomatoes with a potato masher, having first removed the skins. But the sauce machine has the advantage of removing skins and also seeds.

Along the way, I tried adding wine to the passata, and then reducing it. Great flavor, great way to punch up passata!

Comment

6 simple steps to prepare the sauce for a delicious pizza

?Step 1: Heat 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat in a 10-inch skillet, add the minced garlic, stir and cook for about 1 minute.

?Step 2: Add 1? cups canned whole peeled tomatoes, be sure to crush them as they go into the pan then add ? cup torn basil leaves in.

?Step 3: Bring sauce to a boil and be sure to stir frequently for about 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.

?Step 4: Spread a nice layer of sauce over the crust, top with another ? cup of torn basil leaves and 4 ounces of fresh thinly sliced mozzarella cheese. If you have left over sauce, it is okay.

?Step 5: For added flavor, drizzle 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Throw in ? teaspoon oregano, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
              You can also add 3 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan and red pepper for added spice.

?Step 6: Lastly, put the pizza in the oven and bake it until the cheese is melted and crust in golden brown and finished to how you like it.

Comment

Working...
              X