• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Yes, ...for my 2nd WFO!!!!
    / Rossco

Comment

I tried the 1k dough in my KA. While it did work I did not care for the dough squeezing out the top and it did over work the mixer. I think next time I will try doing a standard 500g recipe and after the dough mixes for autolysing I will transfer it to a small container for 20 minutes and start on the next dough. I can make as many as I need then move them back into the mixer to finish the process. It may take a little more work but it beats waiting 20 minutes for each dough to autolyse. My 2 cents.

Frank

Comment

Frank,

What model KA do you have? I'm curious what size it is. Mine is a Pro600.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

5 quart Artisan.

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
            Yes, ...for my 2nd WFO!!!!
            Or oatmeal cookies now...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

That would be a lot of cookies. Or some really big ones.
              Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Who said anything about big batches? I just want something that will mix the batter (aka half dried concrete) without burning out the motor!

Making oatmeal cookies is a good way to kill a lesser mixer - or yourself if you're stupid enough to try by hand. The combination of oatmeal and molasses is so viscous that it's just this side of solid. Most standard industrial mixers and extruders can't handle commercial (200 lb) batches. One company had an extruder with a motor the strength of an SUV engine - much, much more powerful than standard.

If they weren't so darn good no one would make oatmeal cookies. It's amazing that anyone ever survives the attempt!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

How is the mixer going?

The guy never responded to my email enquiry so now looking local for one.

Rossco
                  I was in Darwin all last week, so only got the machine this weekend. Haven't fired it up as yet. I can say it's bloody heavy, 70kg.

BTW, I didn't Email him, I rang and spoke with him direct..got a bit of discount after haggling as well..

Himzo.

Comment

Sounds good - keen to hear your opinion of it once you've done some testing.

My KA has been protesting LOUDLY after doing a whole lot of dough this weekend. Will definitely have to find a stronger alternative.

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

Sounds good - keen to hear your opinion of it once you've done some testing.

My KA has been protesting LOUDLY after doing a whole lot of dough this weekend. Will definitely have to find a stronger alternative.

Rossco
                      Yep, pretty much the reason I got this unit. As I said in an earlier post, my other half makes all our pasta these days and the KA has already been in for repairs once..seems thay use a plastic cog in them somewhere which tends to break if overloaded...I guess it must be cheaper to replace then the motor burning out.
                      I don't have a WFO as yet, but the plan down the track is to make our own breads as well.. though I'm looking forward to a roast goats leg ( is there a Homer drool smilie)..

Himzo.

Comment

It seems that even very small amounts of dough cause stress to the machine. I had to tighten the bolts that hold the bar (that allows the head to flip up) several times along the way. Sorted that out by using some threadlock though though...

Rossco
                        / Rossco

Comment

Several years ago we had a 4 1/2 qt KA. It's all but worthless for bread. When it kneads, it walks all over the counter. I have a 6 qt professional now, and while it's too big for some of the small things I wish I had the old one for, it handles bread and pizza dough without a strain.

Joe
                          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

This is the one I have - an "Artisan" ...
                            KitchenAid Stand Mixers, Food Processors & More - Free Shipping Over $100

It has a 4.8 Litre capacity bowl but it would appear that it is only good for general household baking - and not really the stiff dough that we encounter making bread and pizzas.

I think the 10 L planetary type is what I am after...

Rossco
                            / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,
                              I thik that you are spot on there.
                              My wife gave me hell when trying to make dough in her treasured Kenwood Chef. A great mixer for the kitchen, cakes, whipping etc, but lack badly when asking it to do 'real work' and larger batches and relatively often.
                              It's a bit like carrying 2 tons on a one tonner, it will do it but not continuously. Better to get a 3-4 tonner and it will last forever!
                              Keep checking ebay every week or so for a 10l dough mixer. they do come up occasionally. Anything bigger will be like getting a 10 t truck for a 2 ton load!

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Any report on this beast's performance Himzo? I did give the seller a call last week and he said that more were coming in in a few weeks time (shipping to Perth was about $150 I think). Still a good deal though.

I will wait for your feedback before I make a move.

Rossco

Originally posted by Himzo View Post
                                I was in Darwin all last week, so only got the machine this weekend. Haven't fired it up as yet. I can say it's bloody heavy, 70kg.

BTW, I didn't Email him, I rang and spoke with him direct..got a bit of discount after haggling as well..

Himzo.
                                / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                                X